Smoke on the Water

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Smoke on the Water

Post by Soggypitch »

It's been briefly mentioned on another thread already, but deserves one of its own.

Where was Smoke on the Water?!

I thought it was a bad omen to run out without it and so it proved.

Please could somebody at the Tigers confirm this was a mistake and not the new policy?
Soggypitch
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Smoke on the Water

Post by ellis9 »

It was played, for about 5 seconds. Then for some reason was stopped
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Normally it starts once the opposition are out on field but by the time that had happened we were already half way down the terrace.
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

I sent a email to the club this morning asking what happened to Smoke on the water,i'll let you know what the response is.
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

It's no mystery what happened yesterday. Smoke On The Water usually starts shortly after the visitors have taken the field. It's just that Chutes led out the lads almost as soon as the last Chief stepped onto the field. He didn't allow the usual 30-ish seconds for the music to kick in.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

It started but that drum drowned it out anyway where we were standing we need to ban it next time!!
BEVMARK

Post by BEVMARK »

Very Happy that others noticed. My Good Lady treated my concerns as superstitious nonsense when I made her aware that the usual lead in time of 'Smoke on the Water' was sadly missing before our boys appeared.
I noticed the same at the Lyon Match but hoped it was an early season glitch and not part of a new format.
Traditionalist maybe but I think the longer lead in time and crowd response adds to adds to the atmosphere. :smt038
'Bring Me My Sword of Burning Gold'
'Bring Me My Arrows of Desire'
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

BJ. wrote:It's no mystery what happened yesterday. Smoke On The Water usually starts shortly after the visitors have taken the field. It's just that Chutes led out the lads almost as soon as the last Chief stepped onto the field. He didn't allow the usual 30-ish seconds for the music to kick in.

BJ you were right.

Received a Email this morning saying that Chutes and the rest of the players were that eager to run out they forgot to wait for the build up! However they will pause for a bit longer next time before they run out,giving the crowd time to build the atmosphere.
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

See what happens when you let a hooker be captain. :smt002
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I can confirm that I lead teams out for many years playing at Hooker and not once did I wait for "smoke on the water"... .... although several of the lads did have a fag in the changing room!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

The rumour around my part of the Crumbie was that this was a pre-planned move by George as he felt that the music/stamping might "intimidate or freeze" the youngsters. This was greeted with some incredulity, I must say. Anyone else hear anything like this?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina