Mickey Young

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tac106

Mickey Young

Post by tac106 »

Thought he looked a cracking little player in the BaaBaas game. And by God does Ben need some competition.

I think some of his early England performances went to his head. Perhaps Mickey is the one to bring him back to earth.

Sort it out, Ben. He was quoted in the Mercury as saying: "I would relax for a living if I could." 'Nuff said.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Mickey Young

Post by mol2 »

Don't be too hard on Ben - I think he is trying to serve 2 masters.

I get the impression the England backs coaches are meddling with individual players skills (like Toby's kicking) rather than doing it in conjunction with the club's coaches.

Ben, being young and inexperienced, looks as if he is confused by what England are doing to him which is affecting him both for Tigers and England.
I'd hope that with a bit more maturity he'll find it easier to adjust between club role and country role.

If England want him to hesitate rather than run, that's one thing, but please leave that with England.

I fear that within the England set up that they fail to utilise the players' strengths and prefer to constrain then into the rigid format that at times England use. Compare the AIs where Toby & Ben played like they do for Tigers only to see a progressively more restricted version as the 6N went on and England looked less of a threat.

England need to make the most of the players they've got and organise tactics accordingly rather than constrain players to fit a game plan. There's always a compromise between tactics and being able to make the most of a player.
Sometimes tactics have to be adapted to the opposition which is fare enough but I suspect England's coaches are too rigid - when things don't work they would see changing the player as better than changing the tactics.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

Mickey Young is a good player and should provide excellent backup during the International periods. He will also offer something from the bench which Grindal does not. As for Ben he is an excellent young player and he has only really had 1 full season with the full monty of England and Tigers. He will improve and become more consistent. He should lead Tigers and England to future glories and he has the potential to be world class all the time rather than just in glimpses.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Every young player goes through ups and downs and Ben Youngs is no different. He'll come back stronger and will enjoy some more rest next season with Mickey Young there to take some of the strain. A mixture of competition and a little less pressure on his shoulders should really help Benny shine.

Now if only we could help Flood out in the same way. Also find out who instructed him and Hamilton to kick aimlessly down the pitch against Sarries and put them in stocks outside Welford Rd as punishment.
Roadsweeper
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Roadsweeper »

Youngs needs to learn how to play when his pack are not completely dominant. As he is great going forwards, but looks impulsive and petchulant when things not all going his way, yeah I know about his age, England etc before it gets pointed out.

Agree Mickey Young is just what we need as back up and the young lad from the Development squad, Harrison(?)

Does this mean Grindal is on his way? I am sure he is a nice bloke but he isn't a a top 4 Premiership side, ability player. Good luck where ever he turns up.
dontlookdown

Post by dontlookdown »

Roadsweeper wrote:Does this mean Grindal is on his way? I am sure he is a nice bloke but he isn't a a top 4 Premiership side, ability player. Good luck where ever he turns up.
Grindal has one year left on his contract. Presumably just as extra cover as we'll be without Youngs for a lot of the season - I'd have thought he would leave after next season though.
7 years so far..
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Grindal will stay as emergency cover next season and then probabley be released as Harrison will probabley have surpassed him and be a credible third choice and hopefully push Youngs and Young for match day inclusion.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

sam16111986 wrote:Grindal will stay as emergency cover next season and then probabley be released as Harrison will probabley have surpassed him and be a credible third choice and hopefully push Youngs and Young for match day inclusion.
To be honest, I don't see Harrison staying next season if he's considered 4th choice. He should have been picking up quite a few games this season, but barely played at all. And that was when he was considered 3rd in the pecking order. If he drops another place having not been given a chance to play, I would be amazed if he stayed on. Even with Youngs spending more time than usual with England, it's pretty obvious from this season that Cockerill will go for Young starting and Grindal on the bench. Unless there are injuries as well (and even then, Cockers may well look for a loan player again) then he's going to spend another season stagnating.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Harrison hasn't been fit for all the international periods though. When he was fit for the LV Cup games he was selected. The loan player (no players) only came in due to an injury to Harrison and certainly didn't stay long, though probabley took up some game time Harrison might have had. I doubt we would see that repeated. Harrison is only young there's time.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Harrison is contracted for next season so would expect him to get some game time.
If he does not get much game time next year, I would not be surprised to see him move on to further his career.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
tonyw

Post by tonyw »

Youngsters, Cockers, Gametime, 3 words that dont go together!
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

tonyw wrote:Youngsters, Cockers, Gametime, 3 words that dont go together!
Unless its 'Cockers told the youngsters "you will not get any gametime this week"'

:smt016 :smt016 :smt016

Harrison is a good talent - hopefully we will see him on the bench whilst BY is at the WC and starting all the LV cup games, then who knows .....
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Jay C wrote
Unless its 'Cockers told the youngsters "you will not get any gametime this week"'
Ah hem!

Please remind me what age 'Young Ben Youngs' and a certain M Tuilangi came through and started getting game time?
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Tigerbeat wrote:Harrison is contracted for next season so would expect him to get some game time.
If he does not get much game time next year, I would not be surprised to see him move on to further his career.
Do you have inside information Tigerbeat?

On either of your two assertions?

I would agree with you on the second but do not share your expectation on the first.
Still keeping the faith!
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

Grimlish wrote:Jay C wrote
Ah hem!

Please remind me what age 'Young Ben Youngs' and a certain M Tuilangi came through and started getting game time?
I agree but i think they only got their chances due to the number of injuries not from RC choice. Granted they have then gone on to take their chances which has been a bonus for RC and tigers.
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"