Do players not know the rules

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fleabane
Super User
Super User

Do players not know the rules

Post by fleabane »

Interesting point of view from Peter Bills of the Indy.

http://tinyurl.com/6xqwy5s

I must admit, I have some sympathy with this view, but does it keep the game flowing when the referee keeps up a running dialogue?
Valhalla I am coming!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: Do players not know the rules

Post by Old Hob »

I think this is a piece by Phil Space.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Old Hob wrote:I think this is a piece by Phil Space.
I knew his brother empty.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

There is only one reason why modern players might know less about the laws than they used to: there are more of them to know.

In all the years I played and have watched rugby the level of understanding has been been pretty much the same: a pragmatic minimum. Players learn just enough to allow them to play. Some (anoraks like me) tend to know more than others, and some know far less.

And then of course there are those who know them but don't understand them (oops! - sorry I'm getting back on the incorrect grammar and spelling thread).

And finally worse than the players are those referees who appear not to know the laws!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

For the fact is, when you look at it in reality, it is attempted cheating, nothing less. Does any game want that?
As an ex-back row forward, I take exception to this comment.
The whole game is about cheating and how much one can get away with. :smt047
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
kingneptuneii
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kingneptuneii »

Comparing the laws of rugby to the rules of roundyball is a complete moot point.

The reason ref's in football dont continually chat about why they made a call is:-
a) they're too busy being assaulted
b) the rules of football are pretty clear cut (you were offside, you hacked that strikers leg into three pieces, you spat at that fan, you were less-than-honourable to your wife with that lady of ill-repute, you're a potato headed neanderthal etc.)

the laws of rugby are open to individual interpretation, such as WHEN is a ruck formed, when is a ball deemed "out" when would a try definately be scored. how quickly should a ball be played from the breakdown.

by communicating their interpretations, it allwows players to get a better grasp of that particular ref's style. making for (theoretically) a much smoother game
Never mind the ball, get on with the game!!
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Daveyboy wrote:
For the fact is, when you look at it in reality, it is attempted cheating, nothing less. Does any game want that?
Damn right!
(ex-blindside flanker)
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
tigerben
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerben »

Nor do you encounter this sort of nonsense in other sports. Cricket umpires don’t spend their time telling bowlers they can’t put their feet over the front line of the popping crease and can't bowl balls that pitch on the next wicket on the square.
But they do have to tell the bowlers that they're bowling too short, or if thier running on the pitch,
They also explain their decisions to the bowler when an lbw appeal is given not out, saying inside edge, batsman long way down the crease etc which are also open to interpretation and that individuals view.

In all sports you push the rules as far as the ref lets you.

Rugby Union laws have been almost constantly added to since the game went professional, and in recent years have even changed mid-season.

add to that no 2 referees interpret the laws the same, and some refs 'allow' things other refs don't and its no surprise that the players (captains) check why a decision was given against them (in theory so they can adapt and stop doing 'it' to that level with that particular ref)
Leicester Football Club.
First Back to Back European Champions.
First Club to win an Away Guiness Premiership Play-off Semi-Final.
British by Birth - Welsh by the Grace of God
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

tigerben wrote:
Nor do you encounter this sort of nonsense in other sports. Cricket umpires don’t spend their time telling bowlers they can’t put their feet over the front line of the popping crease and can't bowl balls that pitch on the next wicket on the square.
But they do have to tell the bowlers that they're bowling too short, or if thier (sic) running on the pitch, They also explain their decisions to the bowler when an lbw appeal is given not out, saying inside edge, batsman long way down the crease etc which are also open to interpretation and that individuals view.
Has this been brought in officially? I was not taught this when I did my umpiring course. I was told you were not obliged to explain your decisions.
tigerben
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerben »

not obliged that I'm aware of, but I often see umpires responding to a bowlers question after a turned down lbw, guess it's down to the individual umpire and mutual respect between themselves and the players.

As a spinner myself, i've often checked why an lbw appeal was turned down and always been given a fair reason.
Leicester Football Club.
First Back to Back European Champions.
First Club to win an Away Guiness Premiership Play-off Semi-Final.
British by Birth - Welsh by the Grace of God
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

It may also be the case that in a complicated and fast moving game of rugby, unlike the dull, one dimensional game of soccer, more than one infringement is committed simultaneously and the referee must choose. The teaching/refereeing starts at school and most players have been brought up with it. My rugby coach was MR H.V. White and so always interpreted the laws perfectly.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

tigerben wrote:not obliged that I'm aware of, but I often see umpires responding to a bowlers question after a turned down lbw, guess it's down to the individual umpire and mutual respect between themselves and the players.

As a spinner myself, i've often checked why an lbw appeal was turned down and always been given a fair reason.
I think our wires are slightly crossed. Upon an appeal, they would either get the dreaded finger coupled with a "That's out" or a shake of the head and a "Not out." However, I had no problems explaining my decision if a supplementary question was asked shortly afterwards.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

BJ. wrote:
Daveyboy wrote:
Damn right!
(ex-blindside flanker)
not quite - you are also trying to catch your breath
(another ex blind side)
Less is more....
tommo

Post by tommo »

A reasonably amusing tale of players not knowing the rules can be found starting around para 5 of the attached linky.....quotes from Brian Mujati's, sometimes amusing, sometimes downright strange, blog!

http://www.ruggavibe.com/page/team-play ... es-of-fame
Oh, When The Saints Go Marching In!