kids standing in the terrace..

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

littletiger

Re: kids standing in the terrace..

Post by littletiger »

Me and my boyfriend have a similar problem, I'm 5'5" (at a push!) he's 6'8" - when we get the chance to go to games (living in Dorset) we get there early, in excess of an hour, so I know I can get a decent view. If people then choose to stand behind my bf it's their choice - don't then moan just before kick off that he's blocking your view of the game! It's not as if his height has suddendly become an issue - he was that height all along.
.... and its not just kids.... its everyone else arriving a few minutes before kick off thinking they'll sneak in, in front of everyone else.
Lis113
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Lis113 »

I personally have no problem in letting children stand in front of me. 9 times out of 10 i let others shorter than me stand in front of me as I appreicate I'm quite a tall woman!

The only thing I object to slightly is what happened to me and the people I was with today. There were 5 of us, obviously together, and at HALF TIME, two teenage lads pushed in the middle of us without a word of please, thank you or excuse me.......well as soon as the game started they soon regretted the move with me foghorning in their ears for 40 minutes :D :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044 :smt044
Mafi is my man.
yellow_balaclava_hunter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by yellow_balaclava_hunter »

I used to not have a problem with letting a little one go to the front.

However one time a family turned up half an hour before the game, asked me if their little one could go to the front so I moved along a bit and let him stand next to me. This was followed without anyone asking, in two minute increments by a second child of theirs, then a third and finally a fourth by which time there was very little room for me to stand up in. To cap it off one of the parents then dumped a heavy bag on the floor at the front, right in front of me and on top of my own bag. The children then spent more time playing handheld computer games than watching the match.

That was the last time I let a child go to the front.

Parents need to understand that there simply isn't enough room to allow a Waltons size family to turn up late and expect all of their children to go to the front and gradually pushing people out of the way in order to achieve it is downright rude.

As another person pointed out if you have queued up for an hour or so to get a spot at the front then after standing up for so long you really need to be able to lean on something during the game and not have someone who has turned up late push you out of the way to allow their sprogs to be at the front.

If you have children is it really suitable to be taking them onto the Crumbie terrace and asking them to stand up for what is a very long time for a child?

When I was a nipper I had tickets in the seating area which is more suitable for the Under 14s. When I was old enough I then moved to the terraces.
Excuse me. Where do I get a yellow balaclava from?
I asked Gavin Henson if they sold them at Matalan but he said they didn't because they messed his hair up.
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

I have two nippers. Sometimes we have tickets in a stand, sometimes on the terrace. When we're on the terrace, we arrive between two and one-and-a-half hours before KO and stake out our favoured place at the front on the five metre line at the A&L (or whatever it's now called) end. The area is usually empty until about half an hour before KO (and frankly, for the Newcastle match, I'd have welcomed more bodies for the warmth).

It might be different for a sellout announced as such some time in advance of the match. Or conceivably ome-say eople-pay are aking-tay e-thay iss-pay.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

el trombono wrote:You sad people.... why not just bar kids from attending - or just ban kids!.

If people of this mentality have succeeded to breed then it is unfortunate for the rest of us.... Honestly. I have never read anything so offensive.

Should there be an income bar on parenting? An ethnic bar?
No income or ethnic - only manners, common courtesy and decency I think was the meaning behind the statement.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

When I was a kid...........OK that's a LONG time ago. Dad would stand at the back somewhere with his mates and we (The kids) would gang up an be allowed to get to the front.

It seems old values are being dissipated in this prfessional age.

Just be courteous to one another and every one will see the game. If you want a dedicated spot each week buy a seat!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Gate wrote:I have two nippers. Sometimes we have tickets in a stand, sometimes on the terrace. When we're on the terrace, we arrive between two and one-and-a-half hours before KO and stake out our favoured place at the front on the five metre line at the A&L (or whatever it's now called) end. The area is usually empty until about half an hour before KO (and frankly, for the Newcastle match, I'd have welcomed more bodies for the warmth).

It might be different for a sellout announced as such some time in advance of the match. Or conceivably ome-say eople-pay are aking-tay e-thay iss-pay.

I wouldn't stand behind you, Gate!
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Big Dai wrote:If you want a dedicated spot each week buy a seat!
Well said that man!
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

Big Dai wrote:
If you want a dedicated spot each week buy a seat!

Well said that man!
If you want the best view on the terrace - arrive early

If you have children - don't expect others to act as unpaid child minders while you do something else or use them as a weapon to get priority. Like many others on this forum we have suffered in the past from other peoples children - once their parents had spotted that we were looking after ours responsibly and so were likely to be soft targets.

IMHO the whole thing is a no debate issue. Whatever your reason you can not expect someone who has waited for over two hours, to stand aside just so someone else can have the piece of ground they are stood on as a right.

If that person offers however - thats their choice.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Jesus! Soooooooooo Soccer!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

The not looking after your own children bit I presume?

Sadly a sign of the times
Lozza
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Lozza »

I agree with Rizzo and others - we will let people in next to us - if we can make space, but 90% of the time there aren't any spaces - also we get there when the ground opens and stand there for 2 hours prior to kick off.
If you bring children to a match then they are your responsibility - if you want to them to be able to see then get there early enough.
What is really irritating is 5 mins before kick off when parents/responsible adults come out of the bar with child/children in tow and expect to be able to push in because they have a child with them.
We are very fortunate at Tigers, because some rugby grounds will not allow children on the terraces unless they are above a certain height.
Lozza

Nothing is Impossible
bigfoot25

Post by bigfoot25 »

it doesnt bother me whether im at the front near the 22 or the 5 metre line or the touch line.. the point is i turn up early enough to be able to stand down at the front wherever it is... i have been on the terrace for the past 5 years and like the atmosphere there. I have sat in all parts of the stadium and still chose the terrace everytime.. My opinion on it is if there is a space then yes by all means they can come in but if there aint a space i am not going to move away from my space that i have stood at for 2 hours for someone who has decided to try push in 2 min before kickoff!!
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

Dead right!