WE NEED A 10

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

seldomrong

Re: WE NEED A 10

Post by seldomrong »

12T has zero confidence when place kicking - he missed every kick that wasn't an open goal and you can see in his eyes he is like a rabbit in the headlights.

I thought his general play and kicking out of hand were fine just someone else needs to take the kicks.

It was elsewhere where we were shambolic - did we practice lineouts at all last week??

How many passes went to ground instead of to hand??

We were very nearly out of the H cup in week 1 and if we play like that again next week Scarlets will have a field day :smt018
Tigers are in my blood
Granby
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Granby »

Tom Croft said on the Rugby Hour that training had concentrated on the lineout! :smt009
Broadstaff

Post by Broadstaff »

[quote="seldomrong"]12T has zero confidence when place kicking - he missed every kick that wasn't an open goal and you can see in his eyes he is like a rabbit in the headlights.

Wasn't able to see or hear the game today. Anybody know how many he kicked and how many he missed?
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

Broadstaff wrote:
seldomrong wrote:12T has zero confidence when place kicking - he missed every kick that wasn't an open goal and you can see in his eyes he is like a rabbit in the headlights.

Wasn't able to see or hear the game today. Anybody know how many he kicked and how many he missed?
4 from 7
Mat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mat »

To me 12t looks to have more potential than flood. He is strong makes good breaks and palyed for the whole game. With only 3-4 games at teh highest level I thought today was a quality performance.

His placekicking is not good enough at the moment he seems to be snatching at it with little rythm. He needs the pressure take off him in this role and let him get on with developing as a 10/12. He looks the part to me for a long time.

We cant expect to paly with 5th/6th choice locks who cant time a line out. Chuter for years has been an excellent line out man, in fact one of the main reasons he played for England is cos he can throw unlikeThompson etc.
the line out is often balmmed on the hooker but so much has to be done right by the props and ant the jumper. I would also say we lack brains., Wehen it goes worng shove it to 2 and seccure lets stop trying to make it complicated on bad days at the office. Wihtout ball we can t win!

We are also have 3/4 choice player at inside centre and a winger at outside today playing only his secocnd game for us.

We are not good enough at the moment to win HC our forwards are not fast enough or powerful enough and the backs are not creative enough or defending well enough. BUt things will get better as more palyerc reagin fitness. I am sure we wil l be in the mi in the Prem come MAy.
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

A very very lucky win
With a shambolic line-out and very average place kicking we were extremely fortunate to come through

Our centre pairing is below standard and Tuilagi isnt exactly Mr Reliable in the defensive stakes
Would love to see Geordie Walder as our backup No 10--- but Twelvetrees did display some promise so maybe the best solution is to give him his head and keep our fingers crossed !!
No 7 is a real problem though.....
tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tb1 »

Mat wrote:To me 12t looks to have more potential than flood. He is strong makes good breaks and palyed for the whole game. With only 3-4 games at teh highest level I thought today was a quality performance.

His placekicking is not good enough at the moment he seems to be snatching at it with little rythm. He needs the pressure take off him in this role and let him get on with developing as a 10/12. He looks the part to me for a long time.

We cant expect to paly with 5th/6th choice locks who cant time a line out. Chuter for years has been an excellent line out man, in fact one of the main reasons he played for England is cos he can throw unlikeThompson etc.
the line out is often balmmed on the hooker but so much has to be done right by the props and ant the jumper. I would also say we lack brains., Wehen it goes worng shove it to 2 and seccure lets stop trying to make it complicated on bad days at the office. Wihtout ball we can t win!

We are also have 3/4 choice player at inside centre and a winger at outside today playing only his secocnd game for us.

We are not good enough at the moment to win HC our forwards are not fast enough or powerful enough and the backs are not creative enough or defending well enough. BUt things will get better as more palyerc reagin fitness. I am sure we wil l be in the mi in the Prem come MAy.
Not sure about the first paragraph but a very reasonable post.
Broadstaff

Post by Broadstaff »

Didn't see the game, but from the comments it looks as if this thread title should read, WE NEED A GOAL KICKER.
tonyw

Post by tonyw »

tb1 wrote:
Broadstaff wrote:
seldomrong wrote:12T has zero confidence when place kicking - he missed every kick that wasn't an open goal and you can see in his eyes he is like a rabbit in the headlights.

4 from 7
We need a 10 that can kick every place kick, missing even one is not acceptable, he should be taken to the gallows and hung by the neck untill dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EustaceHPlimsoll
Tiger Cub

Post by EustaceHPlimsoll »

We could do with a better kicker, but, apart from his goal-kicking, 36 is already looking a decent 10 after a few games there, and he seems to keep improving all the time.

Chuter's throwing was slightly wayward in the first half today, but much of our problems at the lineout can be attributed to Treviso being excellent there. One of their jumpers (Zanni?) seemed to have us cracked. Well done them. Ed Slater looked a much better jumper today than he did earlier in the season and he's not had many games yet.

If we can line up our midfield against Scarlets like this:

10 Flood
12 36
13 Smith

then we've got a decent chance of a bp win.
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

This must rank as one of the most moronic threads ever . How you can make a judgement when you don't see or even hear the game is beyond belief . 36 had a fine game at 10 , 3 missed place kicks and a couple of loose passes were more than out weighed by his general play - excellent in attack and a 10 who tackles ( not many of them about !) .
Tigers main problem is the forwards - line out a complete shambles , scrum very average , and a non existent back row apart from Croft . Our centres were very, very poor and the slowness of our back 3 is embarrassing - they would be o.k in a wheelchair race but not a Rugby match . Llanelli will murder us next week !
SaltyJackTar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by SaltyJackTar »

tonyw wrote:
We need a 10 that can kick every place kick, missing even one is not acceptable, he should be taken to the gallows and hung by the neck untill dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Believe pictures are hung and people hanged! Whatever, it seems a tad extreme.
Sponsorship deals may come and go but the CRUMBIE stand will always remain.
Purebob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Purebob »

36 played very well at ten last couple of games IMO. Tens aren't just place kickers. I'd rate 36 better than Staunton, place kicking apart last two games.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

SaltyJackTar wrote:
tonyw wrote:
Believe pictures are hung and people hanged! Whatever, it seems a tad extreme.
I think(or at least hope)that it's an attempt at ironic humour.Failed to hit the mark by even further than our worst ever place kicker.
Last edited by tigerburnie on Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.