Salary cap modifications

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tb1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Salary cap modifications

Post by tb1 »

At the bottom of the article http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 23,00.html I noticed the following, which I was unaware of before.
The salary cap for this season and next will remain at £4m but a new credits system will be introduced for 2011-12.

The idea is to not only encourage the production of home-grown players but assist clubs in retaining their services.

For every year an 18-year-old academy graduate stays at the club - up to the age of 24 - Premier Rugby will increase that club's salary cap by £30,000.
I wonder if this policy will be backdated at all? Too much to hope for I suppose.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Re: Salary cap modifications

Post by fleabane »

I missed that too. Thanks for the info.
Valhalla I am coming!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

I am not sure this is "new" news.

Wasn't it announced at the same time as the dual registration arrangements, the idea being that ex academy players could stay on and be loaned to Championship teams?
Still keeping the faith!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Oh, and with regard to the back dating, although the cap will only be raised wef 2011/12 ex academicians who are under 24 but who have stayed with the club will qualify.
Still keeping the faith!
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Clubs will also receive £2.5 million in central funding this season up from £1.7 million last season. This sounds good until you consider that we receive the same compensation as Exeter, Sale and Newcastle etc for contributing many more international players....but that's an argument for another day!
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
maxy437
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by maxy437 »

This is quite off topic, but still related to salaries. As Tigers are one of the biggest club sides in the Northern Hemisphere, as are Toulouse I'd expect our salary budgets to be quite similar, if there were no caps. What I'm wondering, is if the AP didn't have salary caps like the Top 14, where do you think we'd be:

Top 14 budgets:
1 Stade Toulousain : 29,53 M €
2 Clermont : 20,89 M €
3 Stade Français : 19,28 M €
4 Toulon : 19,05 M €
5 Racing-Métro 92 : 18,94 M €
6 Bayonne : 15,75 M €
7 Biarritz : 15,39 M €
8 Montpellier : 15,01 M €
9 Perpignan : 14,08 M €
10 Brive : 14,05 M €
11 Castres : 13,94 M €
12 Bourgoin : 10,58 M €
13 Agen : 9,81 M €
14 La Rochelle : 8,31 M €

Would we keep it realistic (Under 8/9M), or use the most money available and buy big?
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

POSTIGER wrote:Clubs will also receive £2.5 million in central funding this season up from £1.7 million last season. This sounds good until you consider that we receive the same compensation as Exeter, Sale and Newcastle etc for contributing many more international players....but that's an argument for another day!
I agree Postiger that this seems out of order - by all means have the salary cap to keep an even playing field, but you've got to give the clubs that lose players to international call ups a better share of the pie - why should sarfs get the same as us for fielding a SA 2nd XV ?

Oh - and maxy437 - if there was no salary cap Tigers would not spend much (if any) more on salaries than they do now as the club would go bust PDQ without any sugar daddy to bail it out. What the french clubs are doing is similar to Man City at wendyball and its not good for either game.....
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

maxy437 wrote:This is quite off topic, but still related to salaries. As Tigers are one of the biggest club sides in the Northern Hemisphere, as are Toulouse I'd expect our salary budgets to be quite similar, if there were no caps. What I'm wondering, is if the AP didn't have salary caps like the Top 14, where do you think we'd be:

Top 14 budgets:
1 Stade Toulousain : 29,53 M €
2 Clermont : 20,89 M €
3 Stade Français : 19,28 M €
4 Toulon : 19,05 M €
5 Racing-Métro 92 : 18,94 M €
6 Bayonne : 15,75 M €
7 Biarritz : 15,39 M €
8 Montpellier : 15,01 M €
9 Perpignan : 14,08 M €
10 Brive : 14,05 M €
11 Castres : 13,94 M €
12 Bourgoin : 10,58 M €
13 Agen : 9,81 M €
14 La Rochelle : 8,31 M €

Would we keep it realistic (Under 8/9M), or use the most money available and buy big?
Those figures, i believe, are for every memebr of staff, not just playing staff, e.g. physios, coaches, doctors, stewards, office staff, board memebrs, PR, management and everything else that makes a club tick... so its barely a fair comparisson.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

kornboy130 wrote:Those figures, i believe, are for every memebr of staff, not just playing staff, e.g. physios, coaches, doctors, stewards, office staff, board memebrs, PR, management and everything else that makes a club tick... so its barely a fair comparisson.
Indeed.
Those mega-budgets for the likes of ST, ASM, SF etc are often bandied around, but they do not refer to the actual wage bill. Even prior to the introduction of the cap, player salaries were restricted to no more than 50% of a club's turnover.
maxy437
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by maxy437 »

dailywaffle wrote:
kornboy130 wrote:Those figures, i believe, are for every memebr of staff, not just playing staff, e.g. physios, coaches, doctors, stewards, office staff, board memebrs, PR, management and everything else that makes a club tick... so its barely a fair comparisson.
Indeed.
Those mega-budgets for the likes of ST, ASM, SF etc are often bandied around, but they do not refer to the actual wage bill. Even prior to the introduction of the cap, player salaries were restricted to no more than 50% of a club's turnover.
Apologies, that's correct. Can't seem to find salaries alone :smt017
elleteejay
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by elleteejay »

So does that mean that the academy player will get a share of the £30,000?
Rugby is a game played by men with odd shaped balls
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Jay C wrote: What the french clubs are doing is similar to Man City at wendyball and its not good for either game.....
Totally agree. Whilst I don't like the salary cap, the sugar daddy effect must not be allowed to blight rugby.

There was a time when:
Chelsea v Stoke, Man Utd v West Ham, and Liverpool v West Brom were intriguing fixtures.

However, this weekend, the odds against the away teams winning any of those games are 22/1, 20/1 and 14/1 respectively.

Imagine if a home fixture against Bath, Glaws or Saints became such a forgone conclusion. Horrible and dull.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Kinoulton wrote: Imagine if a home fixture against Bath, Glaws or Saints became such a forgone conclusion. Horrible and dull.
It is, isn't it?! :smt023
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

elleteejay wrote:So does that mean that the academy player will get a share of the £30,000?
Do not confuse club revenue with salary cap. The £30K per player is an increase in the salary cap. It is not an increase in income. So the club will have no extra funds - they will merely be allowed to pay more of the funds that they have on players.
Still keeping the faith!