Mauger to leave, so hope this makes room for Lote

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jonnyatom5

Mauger to leave, so hope this makes room for Lote

Post by jonnyatom5 »

In the Mercury, "Aaron Mauger to quit Tigers"...
http://tinyurl.com/yfrovxs

If it's true, maybe it'll free up enough money to keep Lote and bring over the Kiwi No.8 that's being talked about.

Mauger is past his best me thinks and will stuggle with his recurring back injury.
Lote on the other hand is very industrious and fantastic threat.

What are your thoughts?
JCJD

Re: Mauger to leave, so hope this makes room for Lote

Post by JCJD »

Sorry to loose AM. I think he has a fantastic rugby brain and makes all of the people around him look good by opening up a lot of space. Wish him all the best for the future and hopefully he can leave with another GP championship medal!
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

A big shame, great loss of experience. We always seem to play better when he is on ther field. Hopefully this will mean we will keep Lote..
cheers
Rich
sunbeamer

Post by sunbeamer »

I agree with the above sentiments

very sorry to see AM go as he is a great player but his departure will free up valuable resource for new signings

good luck Aaron - hope you make it back into the Kiwi team! :smt023
kuzza
Super User
Super User

Post by kuzza »

It's official, he's off back to Canterbury
http://bit.ly/4Js3hl

I think he's one of the best centre's in the world and it's a great loss for us. Sorry to see him go, but glad I got to watch him play - very few players draw that sentiment out in me.
nursy
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by nursy »

Reports on sky news says he wants a place back in the all blacks squad. The only plaace he will get on previous form and ability is to warm up the bench for some fit and motivated players!!!!! Not the best aquisition Tigers have made......
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

It was always predictable that Mauger would leave Tigers to attempt to play for the All Blacks in the next World Cup in New Zealand. I wish him the best of luck. Let's hope his injuries clear up enough to allow his talent to show more than it has done at Tigers.
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

Lote to stay if Mauger's salary available? Isn't Lote's contract only to the end of the season when he intends to return to Oz (or go to France)?
tigermad
Super User
Super User

Aaron Mauger Confirms Departure

Post by tigermad »

:smt003 :smt003

Just read the news that Aaron Mauger has decided to leave Leicester at the end of the current season.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 46,00.html
Philip J Gray
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

from everything I have read and listened too, I think Lote thought Tigers would be a short term thing, but over the weeks he has been here he has been impressed with the club, supporters and is even getting to like the weather....

I don't think him leaving is as cut and dried as it was when he arrived. i for one have been really impressed with the way ho goesw looking for the ball, rucking tackling etc. Compared to the reputation that preceeded him it is like he is a different person.
cheers
Rich
Crivvens
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crivvens »

Sad to see him go but I wish him all the best. He's a fantastic player, when he plays we always look to carry more of a threat. Reading the articles it seems he's enjoyed his time with us and could maybe return in some sort of coaching capacity. I'd welcome him back with open arms, as he's a really intelligent rugby player.
Lets just hope we can send him off with a couple of winners medals.

Thanks Aaron.
Blimey...
hugh78
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by hugh78 »

good luck Aaron. Lets hope his injury is under control now and he can bring the sort of fizz he showed in the last quarter against viadana to the rest of the season.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Sad he is going, he has been great to watch and I believe has helped many of the younger players improve their game. he is also a very nice man!
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

I'm disappointed to see Aaron leave but not surprised. He has been a real lynchpin whenever he has pulled on the Tigers shirt but in the last year injuries have taken their toll. A few people have criticised his performances but whenever i've seen him play live he's been special if not spectacular.

I think it's a good move all round as he is our best paid player by a distance and that obviously frees up some room in the salary cap.

Best of luck to Aaron and his family back in NZ :smt023
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

Agree with most if the sentiments so far. In our view another overseas player who has earned his stripes and deserves to be a lifetime Leicester Tiger.

A fantastic player, with the rare ability to make others around him to look good and play better. He has stuggled with injury yet despite being worldclass with little to prove he has always done his best without seeking the limelight.

Like others I hope that this gives us the scope to keep Loti.

Well done Aarron good luck to you and your family, you will always be welcome at Welford Road.