Ravenhill Last Friday Night

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Ravenhill Last Friday Night

Post by WirralExile »

I have been working over in Belfast on and off for the past few years and took the opportunity to take in the Ulster v Edinburgh match last Friday night before catching the 7:30 flight back on the Saturday morning to get to Welford Road for 2 pm.
As you may have seen on TV, the weather was attrocious with a swirling wind and rain for much of the game. Edinburgh did not take much advantage of the wind in the first half and only went in one point ahead (5-6) at half time. Big Jim Hamilton had a good game, but Ulster came good in the 2nd half and gave the crowd some great entertainment on a wet evening.
Whilst there, I was able to make some interesting comparisons between Ravenhill and Welford Road.
- The guy on the mike from WR should take some lessons from the guy at Ravenhill; he really got the crowd going. When announcing the Home Players, there was always a funny postive quip.
- When the home side came on, their equivalent of Smoke on the Water, was a re-mixed version of the Pet Shop Boys/Village People song "Go West", with the title now being "Stand Up". The Crowd all stood up, clapped and sang in unison, "Stand Up for the Ulster Men, Stand Up for the Ulster Men, Stand Up......" and when the music went off they carried on for another few bars.
- Then just before the whistle blew, the guy on the mike said "Ravenhill, are you ready?" They all cheered and the game started.
- At various times during the game, the home chant of "Ulster, Ulster" sounded very much like "TIgers, Tigers" and I nearly forgot where I was.
- The "Stand Up for the Ulster Men" chant happened sporadically during the game and those in the Stands all stood up and clapped.
- At half-time, their mascot, Sparky, came on the pitch carrying a brand new Gilbert Rugby ball. They played "Do you know way to Amarillo?" over the PA and the guy on the mike looked thru his binoculars at the kids dancing away to the music and directed Sparky to who he judged the best/most enthusiastic dancer to give him the ball.
- One serious difference between Ravenhill and WR is that whilst you can hold your pint in the terraces, you cannot take your alchohol into the stands!! Some guys behind me opened their thermos after about 15 mins and the mulled wine flowed.
- A great atmosphere though, considering the weather and the fact that the crowd would get lost in the new WR.
- Not the easiest place to get to either; it is in the middle of a residential area.
A great weekend of Rugby though: Friday night at Ravenhill, Saturday at WR and Sunday coaching the U7 at Market Harborough for the first time in 4 weeks!
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!