Why is Rugby So Different

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Matt Johno

Why is Rugby So Different

Post by Matt Johno »

I'm new to rugby, never played the game and only ever seem two professional games, after the first one last year against Sale last year, i bought my son and i a season ticket. My son is 13 and into rugby so it seem the right thing to do. All i have ever done is play football at a fairly decent level and my son also played until very recently. The thing that has amazes me is the difference in attitude of people involved in the game of Rugby and i don't know why. For example 24,000 people were at the game on Saturday, i never saw one policeman, never heard one swear word in the crowd etc...So why is Rugby so different ?
Tircoeds

Re: Why is Rugby So Different

Post by Tircoeds »

[censored] if I know !

Seriously though, welcome to the world of rugby !

It is an often asked question and the answer is thus .... your average rugby fan can tell the difference between acceptable and unacceptable behaviour, and I would count those who post on here in that category, apart from BillW, watch out for him, he has a nasty bite ! :smt039
madoqua
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by madoqua »

It's a shame but football attracts the rubbish cos it's easy to understand.

The rules of RU are beyond the SNAFU's ( sub normal and useless ) amongst us.

Of course there are people of intelligence who can see the finer points of a lovely game but by enlarge (in my opinion) it is a game played by thick watched by the thick.

It's difficult to name many who would have had a career if they couldn't kick a ball well.

Try policing this garbage. Dreaded by most cops.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Tircoeds wrote:[censored] if I know !

Seriously though, welcome to the world of rugby !

It is an often asked question and the answer is thus .... your average rugby fan can tell the difference between acceptable and unacceptable behaviour, and I would count those who post on here in that category, apart from BillW, watch out for him, he has a nasty bite ! :smt039
:smt039 My solicitors will be in touch with yours! :smt002

I, as an ex rugby player, am a gentleman, and as a fan am politeness personified.

'Tis true throughout England.

The Welsh get over excited (and arrogant) at times - the Australians keep wanting to change the rules so they can win - the All Blacks do not understand why they cannot win trophies - the Irish supporters prefer away games to home games.
Still keeping the faith!
TnA

Post by TnA »

Once you have played 80 minutes of rugby, you have (by and large) respect for the opposition who you have knocked lumps out of and received big hits from. The players know this, the fans know this and respect the players on both teams, even if they don't like them. The laws of the game promote respect for the officials, and there does not need to be legislation to stop the fans drinking and watching the game at the same time.

Football is played by over paid prima donas, watched by and large by idiots who like to blame other people when things go wrong (refs), and can't control their behaviour.

All my own opinions based on past experience.
Forwards win rugby matches.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

TnA wrote:Once you have played 80 minutes of rugby, you have (by and large) respect for the opposition who you have knocked lumps out of and received big hits from. The players know this, the fans know this and respect the players on both teams, even if they don't like them. The laws of the game promote respect for the officials, and there does not need to be legislation to stop the fans drinking and watching the game at the same time.

Football is played by over paid prima donas, watched by and large by idiots who like to blame other people when things go wrong (refs), and can't control their behaviour.

All my own opinions based on past experience.
Whilst we in Rugby never ever blame those myopic idiots with a whistle in the middle or their stopid accomplices with blind dogs and flags at the side? :smt043
Still keeping the faith!
TnA

Post by TnA »

Certainly not to the same extent or with as much venom as the roundy ballers. Well I certainly don't anyway. Without the officials, there would be no match.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

TnA wrote:Certainly not to the same extent or with as much venom as the roundy ballers. Well I certainly don't anyway. Without the officials, there would be no match.
Refereeing junior rugby (parents) is very different from refereeing junior football (parents). I wouldn't say that it is the only differentiator, and I tip my hat to the many worthy followers of the roundball game, but the elephant in the room here is socio-demographics.
Goffer3404
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goffer3404 »

I feel madoqua is somewhat blinkered and possibly even offensive to many who understand and enjoy both games.
Matt Jonno it is a shame that you never enjoyed the delights of rugby as a player. The opportunity for the somewhat portly boys to get their own back legally on the quick mouthed skinny pretty boys! There may be respect between players once the whistle goes at the end of the game, but during the game it is war. With so much aggression on the field, with the laws controlling, there is no need for the aggression on the terrace. There are the occasional loud, sometimes drunken muppets, but generally it is an appreciation of the finer points of the game, or if nothing else the ability to accept it as that, a game. There are far more serious things to worry about outside of the stadium.
TnA

Post by TnA »

All hail the elephant. However I reckon that the gap is narrowing as rugby is the fastest growing spectator sport in the country. I would have to count myself as one of those narrowing the gap (sorry). Although I have A levels, a degree, and a full time job, I'm from a working class background, didn't play rugby at school (it wasn't played at my school at all), and I haven't got the foggiest where Eton is. (Although I do like a good Eton mess for desert).
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

TnA wrote:Certainly not to the same extent or with as much venom as the roundy ballers. Well I certainly don't anyway. Without the officials, there would be no match.

On the pitch in Rugby the officials are respected and obeyed.

And treated with the utmost politeness.

And so it should be. Even when the refs get it wrong which they do quite often.

In Roundy Ball the refs are routinely abused on the field. Even though more often than not they get it right!
Still keeping the faith!
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Let me put it like this. I have never felt in fear of my personal safety, from parents or whomever, whenever refereeing junior rugby.

Friends I speak to who referee at the equivalent level in football cannot say the same.
TnA

Post by TnA »

Bill W (2) wrote:

On the pitch in Rugby the officials are respected and obeyed.

And treated with the utmost politeness.

And so it should be. Even when the refs get it wrong which they do quite often.

In Roundy Ball the refs are routinely abused on the field. Even though more often than not they get it right!
Absobloominglutely.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Thank you TnA
Still keeping the faith!
Tircoeds

Post by Tircoeds »

Bill W (2) wrote:I, as an ex rugby player, am a gentleman, and as a fan am politeness personified.

'Tis true throughout England.

The Welsh get over excited (and arrogant) at times - the Australians keep wanting to change the rules so they can win - the All Blacks do not understand why they cannot win trophies - the Irish supporters prefer away games to home games.
Not quite true, but whilst the English are politeness personified, they also never make sweeping generalisations. :smt002