A win's a win.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

A win's a win.

Post by Daveyboy »

Not much flare or creativity in evidence but no tries leaked in two games either.

5 points from two away fixtures isn't such a bad start considering which play makers are absent.
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: A win's a win.

Post by Darc Tiger »

Rather win tryless rather than lose with loads of tries!

Mauger back seemed to improve the attack. We should be good for next week if Mauger holds together this time.

Would like to see a backline of:

Ellis
Staunton
Hamilton
Mauger
Twelvetrees
Smith
G.Murphy
:smt023
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

Darc Tiger wrote:Rather win tryless rather than lose with loads of tries!

Mauger back seemed to improve the attack. We should be good for next week if Mauger holds together this time.

Would like to see a backline of:

Ellis
Staunton
Hamilton
Mauger
Twelvetrees
Smith
G.Murphy
Yes, I like the look of that 3/4 line. Then when you consider the strength in depth (when fit and available) from the likes of Tuilagi, Flood, Hipkiss and Vesty the season begins to look quite promising!
Last edited by Longshanks on Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

A win is indeed a win!!

Maybe if we had TV in the squad still ...........

<sorry>
Still keeping the faith!
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

How long is now since Twelvetrees played in a match?
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

drc_007 wrote:How long is now since Twelvetrees played in a match?
2 games. He will get his chance. I think we are desperate to form a consistent centre partnership. So sticking with Allen, Hipkiss and Smith.

Hipkiss' injury has spoilt that a bit. Remember he has never played at this level. Lets ease him in. He's probably still settling into the proffesional environment. Ditto with Duffey. Neither have been top level proffesional before. They will get their shots.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

The match report on 5 Live was funny, apparently Geordan Murphy came off for a blood injury and winked - much to the amusement of the crowd etc
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

westwinds31 wrote:The match report on 5 Live was funny, apparently Geordan Murphy came off for a blood injury and winked - much to the amusement of the crowd etc
:smt005
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

A win is indeed a win.

I'm happy.

Teams are being cagey right now, sussing out how good they are compared with the opposition.

Once Tigers get into their stride they'll score plenty of tries and put a few teams away.

But 5 points from 2 games away from home against decent sides isn't too bad a start.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Darc Tiger wrote:
westwinds31 wrote:The match report on 5 Live was funny, apparently Geordan Murphy came off for a blood injury and winked - much to the amusement of the crowd etc
:smt005
:smt046
Still keeping the faith!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I am both pleased and relieved,it is 20 years since we last lost back to back opening games to a season.Tricky start out of the way,let's hope we can string a few passes together and stay injury free,well done lads it's early days yet .
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

If you had offerd me 5 points for the two away games just played, before the start of the season, I would have snapped your hand off.

The Stoop and Edgely Park have not been the best of hunting grounds for Tigers in recent years.

We are better off, pointswise, after the corresponding fixtures last season.

5 -2?
(No bonus point at Sale, 2 points for draw against Quins)

SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

Not much flare or creativity in evidence but no tries leaked in two games either.
That's because Tigers are going for defensively sound but boring players with little creativity about them, both Murphys excepted. Personally I'm not much for the reliable runabout. I prefer the more exciting.
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smalldell »

Went to the game and yes it was not great. Not helped by some terrible refereeing. Inconsistent and missed a horrible high tackle by a Quins player.

Felt the backs lacked real creativity. Issue for me was pairings at 9 and 10 and 12 and 13

Ellis is, it pains me to say it too slow at the moment and given he is working with a limited fly half that does not make for a good combo.

Allan again was paired with a very similar partner, when I genuinely believe 12Trees would have been a far better match. I know Cockerill has said he has a lot to learn but I hope he is going to use him soon. I do not want this signing wasted.

When Mauger came on it certainly helped, especially Allan, who seemed released from his shackles.

Overall I thought Allen played well. He was a rock in defence and is settling in nicely.

Was also paticularly impressed with Woods and Blaze, both of whom were a thorn in the side of the Quins throughout.

Staughton kicked welll....but he is very limited and playing him unfortunately will restrict what we can do.
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

Agree Smalldell - our half backs were pretty average . Ellis still shows terrific commitment and effort , but decision making is slow and predictable whilst his passing yesterday was erratic .Staunton stands so deep and just ships the ball on offering no chance for his backs to attack and his line kicking is not great ( of the Burke variety ).
I thought Allen did o.k yesterday , much better than I expected - defensively rock solid and didn't lose the ball in contact .geordan was excellent - 1 laughable miscue of a kick -but peerless under the high ball and a tackle that saved a try .
Oou only real try opportunity created in the backs was butchered by Mauger with a dreadful pass into the crowd 5 yards from the line with Johnee unmarked - ugh !
Pack better , especially Scrum . Driving Maul - didn't move at all .
Transport in London yesterday - worst ever for me .