MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: No More Money for Players

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="chipnchase"]Is it September :smt015

Christ I've been late to react :smt012

PANIC! PANIC! EVERYONE PANIC!

ITS THE START OF THE SEASON AND WE'RE DOOMED I TELL YOU!

COME MAY WE'LL BE RELEGATED AND ONLY HAVE ATTENDANCES OF 12 PEOPLE AARRRGGGHHH WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE RUNNING OUR CLUB HEY JUST WANT MONEY FOR THEMSELVES AAARRRGGHHHHH :smt026

Seriously I'm pretty sure come the end of the season we'll finish strongly again and attendances will see a small increase and then you'll all have something new to moan and panic about like what colour the new away shirt will be or how damn awful the food is in the stadium etc etc.

Have some trust in the club you erm 'support' (for want of a better word) and lets just enjoy the season for Christ sake!

Where has the love gone tigers????? :smt054[/quote]

What an over-the-top reaction to a perfectly valid discussion thread!
Where exactly is this panic?
To question contributors "support" for the club just because they may be concerned about the reported lack of funds for signing new players is ridiculous. If you don't think it is an issue, fine.

Good question - Where has the love gone tigers?
Suz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Suz »

bluntiger wrote:It does seem strange though that we are trialing players that we do not have the finances to sign! Are we wasting our time as well as theirs?
I've just read the story on the beeb and this was my first thought? Seems strange that we were trialing a new play as late as Monday, but now there is no money to sign anyone?
"The beast got us, the Leicester beast."
SkippyTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by SkippyTiger »

Suz wrote:
bluntiger wrote:It does seem strange though that we are trialing players that we do not have the finances to sign! Are we wasting our time as well as theirs?
I've just read the story on the beeb and this was my first thought? Seems strange that we were trialing a new play as late as Monday, but now there is no money to sign anyone?
I read it as saying that we can't afford to sign both players, so it would make sense to bring in the 2nd player for a trial due to the injury to the original trialist and then see which is the better player? Isn't that kinda the point of a 'trial' ?
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Maybe the board are simply being prudent? The extra £40k - £80k* needed for a new player may be stretching the budget a little too far - a gamble they are understandably reticent to take.

*That is my estimation of what JJ or Lucas would earn.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
fatprop
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by fatprop »

Just remember what happened to Northampton, :smt011 redeveloped the ground and forgot the playing side by saying there's no money and ended up in the first division. if that should happen then how we will fill the new stand. as this year the premiership will be closer that ever. :smt013
boon

Post by boon »

there were a few other factors down my way, fatprop, but i reckon there is some truth in what you say.

i dont think you need to worry about relegation anytime soon - but even if you were surely the loyal tigers fans would 'keep the faith' and turn up in similar numbers much as we did at saints?

however, i do think you are right about a closer league than usual and that it is the case that a number of teams will give you a proper run for your money this time around. i'd like to think my own beloved saints can be one of them, but its still a bit early in the season to be banking on that!
if you are happy and you know it, you are unusual.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

I KEEP THE FAITH!

And I agree with BJ.

These two statements are perfectly compatible.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

The answer is to buy an extra pint every time you're at WR. It soon adds up. That's my excuse anyway.

Braaarrrpppp. That pays for a bit of JimJim. Or possibly a bit of Amontillado.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

We have a minimum of 16 competitive home games this season. If the new stand enables Tigers to up its attendances by an average of 1,000 per game, and we assume the new people pay an average of £25 per game, that would bring in an extra £400,000 in gate money, plus quite a bit in Gate money. (Cash spent on beer and curry.)

That's a lot of potatoes.

So I certainly don't see the ground improvements as some big white elephant that will draw money away from the playing side.

Yes the club will have some whopping great loan repayments, but it will also have a greater asset on its hands, and increased fan loyalty that could be unparalelled in the GP. (After all, how much loyalty would we be showing to a club that sold up and went off to play in a football ground in Watford that even football supporters think is dismal?)

We're entering new waters right now, so maybe those that hold the purse strings are a bit frit. I'd rather that were the case than they went off on a joyful spending spree a la Weeds United and wrecked the club.

In the long term, if attendances rise, I'm sure we'll be spending right up to the salary cap, and then some (nudge nudge, wink wink).
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
hugh78
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by hugh78 »

http://tinyurl.com/mlnhu6

looks like its going to be just Amorosino, nono toto JeanJean
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

hugh78 wrote:http://tinyurl.com/mlnhu6

looks like its going to be just Amorosino, nono toto JeanJean
Yeah, sounds like it's a financial decision rather than talent or ability out of the two, reads like Cockers wanted Jean-Jean but he was too expenisve. That said, I can't see them signing him for the sake of it, he's a full international for Argentina, and they're backline is better now than it has ever been with the likes of Hernandez, Corleto, Tiesi, Arambaru, Agulla etc, so he's no mug.
Tigris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tigris »

Looks like the glass was half full after all...
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I have to agree with one of the earlier posters TTRITH - it is puzzling why we need more back 3 players - it's seems to me also that we are short of midfield players - especially as flood is long term injured and Mauger has an unreliable back problem.

I was always slightly curious why they a) they never used to play Erindle and then b) let him go after they finally did play him and discovered what we all knew already and that he was a pretty good player.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

We are definitely short in the back 3 as currently we only have Johne, Geordy and Scotty to play all 3.

True when everyone is fit it will be a bit of a squeeze, but when is that going to happen. I think signing one was the best option.
KD
Tiger Cub

Post by KD »

The problem with signing any player from Stade or Toulouse is always going to be money. If their budgets are circa £15m per year and they have roughly the same number of players in their squad then they must earn a lot more than our players. So someone like Jeanjean is always going to be expensive, especially as he is prone to injury.

Another thought is that if you are trying to negotiate someone down in salary then a really bad idea is to tell them we have loads of money in the budget.

Finally, being realistic we are never going to get the full story on matters like this from the club. The Mercury are likely to print whatever they think will sell more papers.

I feel I should end "Keep the faith".