Good old Sky!!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Good old Sky!!!

Post by Ads677 »

Rant time - Sky are the only live broadcasters of the Guinness Premiership and, guess what, on the first three days of the season they only show matches from the last day, what great value for money. No wonder I won't subscribe.
Tigerbeat

Re: Good old Sky!!!

Post by Tigerbeat »

Sunday .........Sky are showing a double header.

Northampton v Worcester

Bath v Gloucester

http://www.livesportontv.com/rugby-union
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
maskedsquid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by maskedsquid »

I bet you'd only moan if they showed more games and moved the kick-off times around to suit their schedule though...
It's only cheating if you get caught.
crateman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by crateman »

Yep, it would be heart-breaking if our 1st game of the season was played at 3 on saturday instead of tonight!!!
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

I must admit Sky really frustrate me with this. Some of the rubbish they have on over the weekend and they can't find a spot for some GP action :smt013 . What really annoys me is that they forever seem to be showing Currie Cup and Tri Nations games. These are good but surely GP matches should get priority? Even looking back to last year several of the Saxons and England U20's matches were never broadcast yet if it had been roundball England Under 5's match we would have a whole night devoted to it! :smt010
barnythebear

Post by barnythebear »

Ah the joys of Mickey Mouse cricket, over paid wiff waff and the devils rugby code. Look like I'm going to Church then............
barnythebear

Post by barnythebear »

Just one would do me!
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

B.J. I live in England, what do you think?
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

BJ. wrote:There's no pleasing some folk. Between them, BBC Wales, Sky, S4C and ESPN are showing NINE live games this weekend, one of which is an international. These games come from England, Wales, France, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

How many more do you want?
It is not the number but the quality. Only 2 GP matches. Why not our Friday night match and one from Saturday?
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

BJ. wrote:
Ads677 wrote:B.J. I live in England, what do you think?
What do I think? I think you are what the Aussies refer to as a whinging Pom. :smt002

Just because your (and my) beloved Tigers aren't playing at 3pm on Saturday, I get the feeling you almost believe it is your divine right for the game to be televised. If you are that desperate to see the match, get yourself up to Stockport tonight.
It is not the fact that it is the Tigers but just that there is a quality game on Friday night, that includes the current champs, and Sky have opted for some other rubbish instead.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Didn't Setana have the rights for Tonights match and the double header?

Also, everywhere except Sky Sports has had Sky Sports as showing the Double header!
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
masopa
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by masopa »

BJ - I'm a rugby fan but I follow: Tigers, England, Lions and (when live) Glasgow.

If there's absolutely nothing else on, I have no chores and the missus is out, I could probably watch a Tri Nations game, but to be honest, I'm utterly devoid of passion for those games because it has absolutely zero bearing on any of the above teams.

I do pay for Sky Sports and therefore have the choice as to whether I think it's good value. It's pretty questionable as I only watch the GP, HEC and International rugby involving England. Still, I choose to pay so I guess I'm just about happy overall.

However, I can appreciate the frustration of others when we're just given 2 games on the opening weekend, and both of those games are on a Sunday.

We're regularly given the excuse/reason for lack of GP coverage as schedule constraints but I'd still rather see an additional earlier GP game shown not live on Saturday/Sunday morning in place of Tri Nations, Currie Cup or S14. The other reason is the terms of the licensing, but I can't believe showing a couple of additional, non-live GP matches would either negatively impact ESPN, match attendance or Sky profit (except positively in the latter case).

It's a whinge, but a justified one, IMO...
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

BJ. wrote:
Ads677 wrote:B.J. I live in England, what do you think?
What do I think? I think you are what the Aussies refer to as a whinging Pom. :smt002

Just because your (and my) beloved Tigers aren't playing at 3pm on Saturday, I get the feeling you almost believe it is your divine right for the game to be televised. If you are that desperate to see the match, get yourself up to Stockport tonight.
Well, I'm certainly a Pom, but I was having a rant :smt013 The point is that Sky have a monopoly - all well and good if they show a good selection of matches. Maybe their viewing figures show that more British rugby viewers want to watch Tri-Nations and other Southern Hemisphere games, but I'd doubt it. And with this being the first weekend of the season with the League Champions on first (and what else are they showing tonight?) you'd think they would have some obligation.

On a linked matter, does anyone know if ITV2 are doing their Sunday evening round up again this year?
Crivvens
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crivvens »

I think people have been spoiled by the amount of games Sky show. A few years ago the only time you could see a game on the telly was the 6 nations unless you went to the game itself. Now, unless we're on every week, it seems people will moan about it.

Don't sky only have the rights to a certain amount of Guinness Premier League games per season? Therefore they can't show every game so they're gonna choose the ones they think most people will watch. Obviously that doesn't include a Friday night game and I have to agree with them.
Blimey...
Antony D

Post by Antony D »

ITV 4 are also featuring highlights for non Sky customers

http://www.itv.com/sport/rugbyunion/mat ... fault.html

On Sunday evenings - 8pm
Antony

I cook with Wine, sometimes I even put it in the food!