Pace in the backs this season?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

djmhome
Top Cat
Top Cat

Pace in the backs this season?

Post by djmhome »

looking at the squad we will have next season, does anyone else think that we may be lacking some real out and out speedsters in our backs? The likes of johne, hamilton and smith are pretty quick, elusive runners, but dont have that aweome speed that scares opposition defences. All teams need those kind of guys and im not sure we have it now varndells gone...
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: pace in the backs this season

Post by Hull Fan »

I think they are quick enough.

Yes, real pace is something that worries defences but i feel we have lots of other things that will consentrate opposition defences.

In Flood, Mauger & Vesty we have players capable of holding defences and putting players into space either with passes or running lines.

Hipkiss is very strong in the tackle and will draw in extra defenders to try and tackle him, which hopefully will leave space for others.

Alex T is Alex T and will do what he does best, so attracting defenders.

Hopefully if we can recycle the ball fast enough then the likes of Hamilton, Murphies, Smith & AT will have the space to run into. :smt045
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

While losing Varndell's speed and moments of flickering brilliance (e.g. the two tries against Quinns) the players we have are a lot more reliable. Hamilton is exceptional at coming off his wing and punching a hole straight through the opposition defence, Johne and M Smith are much better all round footballers and have much deeper bags of tricks though they aren't as competent at finishing and Alex T is well... Alex T. We've lost speed but our wingers are still as dangerous as even for a winger speed isn't everything! Also all of them are better than TV defensively!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

We won the GP and the playoffs(I consider that 2 victories) and got to the Heineken final without any contribution from any other wingers than the ones we start with this year.Tom barely saw a shirt last year , so whilst it's always sad to see any player leave,we are not going to miss him anymore this year than last.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Pace has its place but the ability to finish is far better an option. The Tigers have good ability and I would rather have Scott than Tom any day as a winger. Interesting to see how TV fairs under the Pests regime? He will be targetted when the Tigers play them home and away.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Minty

Re: Pace in the backs this season?

Post by Minty »

We have got Crofty :smt003 ...... i've seen him appear on the Wing quite a lot in set piece moves and he also offers the cross field kick option too.

like others have said though, i dont think you get too many oppertunities with out and out pace nowadays, teams are too hot on defence and so you may have a season as tom did when your an unknown, otherwise you need the ability to beat a player as you dont seem to have the space for pace nowadays.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

We had plenty of pace with Tom, but we didn't really use it much, especially once Goode had gone.

We seem to be happier punching holes in opposition defences rather than going around or past them.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

Varndell was quickest last year, followed by Croft followd by Tuilagi so lets hope we see Alex adding the gas string to his bow ! (not that im not happy with his already impressive arsenal!)
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

Kinoulton wrote:We had plenty of pace with Tom, but we didn't really use it much, especially once Goode had gone.

We seem to be happier punching holes in opposition defences rather than going around or past them.
you tend to run out of room on the pitch if you try to go round them and the modern defence are not going to wave you through....TV was surplus to our needs and we all know the weakness of his game...I doubt whether he will get much game time at the insects....Alex has the pace and strength, and skill...just his ball handling needs to improve as this seems to be his main weakness.
the future is bright
the future is
Scarlet Green and White
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Without turning it into a debate about Varndell in particular, we do lack out and out pace in the back three. Johne, Smith and Hamilton are solid and fairly quick, but they aren't players you'd necessarily back to make the line from 50m out. Geordan used to be quick, but has slowed with age, and Tuilagi has always been more power than speed.

Perhaps a speedster out wide, even if it wasn't to be Varndell, would be a handy option to have.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Antony Allen is no slouch either, if he can get his confidence back and his game together (which I think he will) then we will have an excellent player on our hands.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Arvski

Post by Arvski »

What about this new French FB were looking at?

Anyone seen him play or know how fast he is?..
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

I think you may have been sucked into stereotype there. Tuillagi has a really deft touch, his offloading skills are sublime, and he can spin pass well off both hands. I dont see any area of weakness in his handling, and his kickings pretty good too
Tigerbob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigerbob »

Tom Varndell's game is all about using his pace, and beating the defence on the outside.

As has been said on this thread, defenses are wise to him now and just don't give him the room to exploit his pace very often these days.

I always thought TV would be a more complete player if he learned to step inside now and again, he did become a bit of a one-trick pony.

Anthony Allen has indeed got gas, and will bring some pace to the centres this season.

I can't wait for it all to start now!!! :smt026
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Richard wrote:you tend to run out of room on the pitch if you try to go round them and the modern defence are not going to wave you through. Alex has the pace and strength, and skill...just his ball handling needs to improve as this seems to be his main weakness.
I wouldn't disagree at all. That's why I think Hipkiss is underated by some on this forum.

He doesn't have the obvious "wrecking ball" impact of a Tuilagi or a Rabeni, but he does make lots of yards right through the middle of defences, frequently in line with the posts, such that any foul committed on him is more or less 3 points in the bag.

And he's a hard un to turn over.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!