Lions Squad

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

gooders060981
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Lions Squad

Post by gooders060981 »

I thought they where choosing on form players and not the big names. No Tom Croft and only 1 Tiger (Harry Ellis) and to be honest I dont even think he is on form.

So let me get this right, 1st in the Premiership, HEC Semi-Final to play and in the top 3 of the most on form teams right now and they choose 1 player.

They choose 4 from Wasps who are possibly the worst team in the premiership as I speak, no silverware this season and no chance of getting any.

Pathetic team picking!
Geordan Murphy for England
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Expect 4 or 5 tour ending injuries before the first test.

Then the "first choice" players will fly out as replacements.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Bobby Skinstadt's view is that Lions "is a team to be feared.... a Lions side that has been very well picked".

State of SA team " we are not sure of our combinations - we wait with trepidation (our coaches' selection)".

Says Lions have "Strong physical side, but Boks to win 2-1."
Valhalla I am coming!
Rozza
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rozza »

We have to remember that fewer of our best XV are English than is the case with Wasps.
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

fleabane wrote:Bobby Skinstadt's view is that Lions "is a team to be feared.... a Lions side that has been very well picked".

State of SA team " we are not sure of our combinations - we wait with trepidation (our coaches' selection)".

Says Lions have "Strong physical side, but Boks to win 2-1."
It was said with a smirk and looked tongue in cheek. Read that as 3-0 SA then.

:smt022 :smt022
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
snooppaulypauly2k

Post by snooppaulypauly2k »

With only 2 fly halfs going and both of them being kicking fly halfs (not the worst thing in the world) would it not have been safe to take a 3rd like flood (or even Hook) that like to play a bit of running rugby?

Both O'Gara and Jones are the best on form but as a safe bet a versatile third with a different game wouldn't have been a bad call!
Varndell is a genius
Tigerbob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigerbob »

adamv6 wrote:Will post something sensible when I stop rolling around the floor with laughter. :smt005

May I congratulate Harry.

May I also congratulate Wasps, yet again, loosing seems to be the way forward with your career.

Just off to the bookies to put my mortgage on a 3-0 South Africa win before the odds become too short...
I'm with you Adam - if you want a cross section of odds try this

http://tinyurl.com/dcldr7
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

jgriffin wrote:The more I look at it, the worse it gets. I do think Bill is correct about the injuries though and call-outs - but my bet is a FH injury and Cipriani gets the shout!
Of course....Geech mate, Edwards mate, Gatlands mate?....not Wiggos mate!!!

:smt017 :smt017 :smt017 :smt017
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
tigermad
Super User
Super User

Post by tigermad »

Link to Lions Squad on Planet Rugby

http://www.planetrugby.com/Story/0,1825 ... 98,00.html

What a mixed bag but not surprised with the number of Irish players in the team but would have liked to have seen Croft and Kennedy in the forwards as both have had pretty good Six Nations with Tom MOTM in one and in great form for Leicester. Selection of Vickery is seriously puzzling but what do I know. I only watch some of these guys every other week.

:smt017 :smt017
Philip J Gray
tigerfeet13
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerfeet13 »

Many mysteries.

Vickery?

'Worse'ley?

Shaw?

Clearly picked on form (isn't that what the coaching team said would be the case) not because they are Wasps and storming towards the GP title.

Not much creativity at fly half! That's a worry

NO Croft (didn't see that one coming)
Rugby Special... Is the Tigers!
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Just heard Dewi Morris say

'We can't be as predictable as Wasps or Wales if we are to beat SA'

Oh dear I can' t see this happening, no creative coach in set up. :smt018 :smt018
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Bigron
Tiger Cub

Post by Bigron »

Ok, lot of Tigers v Wasps here, but to be quite honest other than Croft and maybe Flood who else could have possibly made the Lions Squad?

White - discipline
Moody - injured
Deacon - injured
Crane - game time
Chuter - game time
Hipkiss - game time

Lucky:

Powell
Shaw
Hines
Jones - Prop
Williams
O'Leary

Unlucky:

Croft
Peel
Kennedy
Horan
Cueto - over Moyne

Really unlucky and deserved to fly the plane, let alone be on it:

Cipriani - my tip for Capt. Would have taken every kick, fed every scrum, thrown in at the lineout and had the back row of the bus all to himself :smt002
APM16

Post by APM16 »

McGeechan must be expecting a Tigers-Leinster Heineken Cup final , and Tigers-London Irish Premiership final - only reasonable excuse for this squad.

The 4 Wasps have a full month off before the squad departs, whereas Tigers(Tom Croft) will have at least 2 , but hopefully 4 high intensity sudden death matches in May. Ellis/Dupuy are likely to share scrum-half duties so Harry Ellis should still have plenty in the tank for the Lions tour.

That said, there's no way Vickery or Worsley on current form shopuld be touring South Africa when Tom Croft is left at home polishing his medals(hopefully).
AidanMcDowell

Post by AidanMcDowell »

I'm disappointed for Toby and for Delon Armitage but I'm disgusted about Tom Croft. He's been the in-form flanker in the Premiership for the past three months at least and his pace over the hard dry grounds of SA would have been invaluable. McGeechan's a fool.