Geometry

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bill W
Super User
Super User

Geometry

Post by Bill W »

It would seem to me that someone has taught Tigers about angles.

Not just Vesty and Mauger (who likely understood but no-one around him did). And Hamilton.

Tuilangi for goodness sake, taking a divine line inside to draw the defence and then the wonderful pass to Smith cutting in to out.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
jay19uk

Re: Geometry

Post by jay19uk »

It was a great try probably one of the best we have scored this season, I can't remember tigers scoring a try from a counter attack in a long time.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

jay19uk wrote:It was a great try probably one of the best we have scored this season, I can't remember tigers scoring a try from a counter attack in a long time.
I agree. Geordan does create such moves on the counter (but he understands angles). What particularly impressed me on this occasion though was Tuilangi and Smith's appreciation of the geometry. Neither heretofore renowned for it. Tuilangi looked to create the space - and chose a delightful line - Smith demonstrated a full understanding of what Tuilangi was doing and himself delayed his run until exactly the right moment.

Superb!!
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
chinnjamie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chinnjamie »

I was so impressed with the team today, Smith had his best game as a centre IMO, but the whole team performed well. I thought a big bonus was that we managed to keep big runners like Mapasua, who IMO has been 1 of the best centres in the GP this season, quiet for large areas of the match. Also we were constantly trying to get quick ball from line outs etc, it was awesome to watch. Credit to Booth for praising Tigers attacking flair too :smt023
kevf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kevf »

my biggest feeling about th game... not kicking it away at every oppurtunity.. keeping hold of the ball recycling.. patience...

good game to watch even if we nearly screwed it at the end...
Growing old is mandatory growing up is opiotnal
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

It was all about finding space, and once Tuilagi had explained to Smith that the space is ((x2 - x1)2 + (y2 - y1)2 + (z2 - z1)2) where (x1, y1, z1) and (x2, y2, z2) are points, then things started opening up for us.

That's the power of geometry, that is.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Kinoulton wrote:It was all about finding space, and once Tuilagi had explained to Smith that the space is ((x2 - x1)2 + (y2 - y1)2 + (z2 - z1)2) where (x1, y1, z1) and (x2, y2, z2) are points, then things started opening up for us.

That's the power of geometry, that is.
Flipping 'eck Kinny I did not realise we played in three dimensions!

And anyways up Pythagoras don't work on the surface of a sphere!!

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Credit to Matt O'Connor and, I suspect, Aaron Mauger. :smt003
Valhalla I am coming!
tigermad
Super User
Super User

Post by tigermad »

Thanks for the lesson on geometry Bill W. But you must not forget to -

KEEP THE FAITH

:smt026 :smt026
Philip J Gray
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Ah, the three dimensions - Faith, Hope and Charity!

They could be our three cheerleaders.

But I digress .....

Worry not, I KEEP THE FAITH!

In fact it is at a high! (note to Kinny, that is when the vertical position component is at a maximum, dz/dt = 0 and d^2z/dt^2 < 0)

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Which leads me (via a tortuous route - dimensions - vibrations)to propose the the song of the Welford Road faithfull, to be led by our cheerleaders, of course:

Im pickin up good vibrations
Shes giving me excitations
(oom bop bop good vibrations)
(oom bop bop excitations)
Good good good good vibrations
(oom bop bop)
(oom bop bop)

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Some people just have too much time on their hands. :smt009
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
tigerfeet13
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerfeet13 »

Bill W wrote:Which leads me (via a tortuous route - dimensions - vibrations)to propose the the song of the Welford Road faithfull, to be led by our cheerleaders, of course:

(oom bop bop good vibrations)
(oom bop bop)
(oom bop bop)
Bill. How about Green for the Crumbie, Red for the Members (CAT) and white for the A&L and Clubhouse?

Any volunteers for a conductor to practice at half time?
Rugby Special... Is the Tigers!
tigerfeet13
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerfeet13 »

I firmly believe that Vesty is a major influence on the game plan. He runs the ball as the first option rather than kicking it away and inviting the opposition to run back.

I put him way above Hougaard in the fly-half stakes. Though I would also like to see Flood playing in the new style as he can be a good runner and handler of the ball. Go SV. :smt026
Rugby Special... Is the Tigers!
Cliffeclimber
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cliffeclimber »

Good point, Tigerfeet, but now we've started to play this way, we haven't seen whether Flood or Hougaard are equally adept at running the ball as a first option. It is possible that they have been under instructions from HM rather than playing their own natural game.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how they get on when they come back.