Lack Of Coverage from BBC on edf?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

scrambo
Silver Member
Silver Member

Lack Of Coverage from BBC on edf?

Post by scrambo »

Im sad ive made a complaint to the bbc over their lack of edf cup games. Not as a tigers fan but a rugby fan.

When you consider the amount of games that have been going on, the bbc only seem intend to show one or two.
Lucky for us we have sky so can get access to bbc wales, so another reason to complain as not everyone has access to bbc wales.

I dont normally complain....now im off to sky sports to complain about how they seem to showing less guinness premship games this season. Im in moaning mood today
Better to live one year as a tiger, than a hundred as a sheep.
Lord Harbinger of Doom
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Lord Harbinger of Doom »

You don't need BBC Wales though as all EDF games shown on BBC Wales are also shown via the red button.

OK, not everyone has red button access but a fair percentage of the UK does.
deema1

Post by deema1 »

I think its a fair point, and I thought that yesterday. The BBC don't have much sport coverage, so you'd think at least they would make the most of what they have got. At least with Sky during the HC weekends, pretty much every game is available, either on a main channel or the red button. Sort it BBC. However, I will be making the most of their internatinal coverage over the next few weekends!!!
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

Lord Harbinger of Doom wrote:You don't need BBC Wales though as all EDF games shown on BBC Wales are also shown via the red button.

Actually not true. If you have Freeview, the Red Button treated you to Burt Bacarach in concert (which has been on repeat for the last few days) or an Eastenders quiz (inexplicably on at the same time as the omnibus).
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
Lord Harbinger of Doom
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Lord Harbinger of Doom »

daktari wrote:Actually not true. If you have Freeview, the Red Button treated you to Burt Bacarach in concert (which has been on repeat for the last few days) or an Eastenders quiz (inexplicably on at the same time as the omnibus).

Well your red button must be broken then as mine had the London Irish v Ospreys game on!

It was the Scrum V feed & was working perfectly well this afternoon.
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

I think the red button works differently on different BBC stations - you may need to access red button sport via BBC2, rather than BBC1, or vice versa.

I watched a lot of Northampton's match yesterday afternoon on TV, and some of Ospreys' today on the computer.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Despite only 1/4 matches in the EDF containing a Welsh side 3/4 of the BBC1 matches involved a Welsh team :smt017 and I believe all of the red-button/online matches were matches involving Welsh teams as are all of the available highlights I can fine - positive discrimination anyone?

on a lighter note I am very surprised that the semis were not all English and all Welsh to assure a mixed final
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

daktari wrote:
Lord Harbinger of Doom wrote:You don't need BBC Wales though as all EDF games shown on BBC Wales are also shown via the red button.

Actually not true. If you have Freeview, the Red Button treated you to Burt Bacarach in concert (which has been on repeat for the last few days) or an Eastenders quiz (inexplicably on at the same time as the omnibus).
No, it works fine - the BBC website actually says the Sunday matches would not be available on freeview.
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
gooders060981
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by gooders060981 »

Not true it would seem. I couldnt get any Rugby via the red button and nor could a few other I asked. Evrytime I went to the red button to watch a game, I got the electric proms. So not even the red button seemed to work, not impressed with the BBC at all, all the Autumn Internationals are being shown but England, so yes the BBC have bought all the games but Englands, well done BBC what flippin use is that?
Geordan Murphy for England
gooders060981
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by gooders060981 »

Pete wrote:I think the red button works differently on different BBC stations - you may need to access red button sport via BBC2, rather than BBC1, or vice versa.

I watched a lot of Northampton's match yesterday afternoon on TV, and some of Ospreys' today on the computer.
The red button didnt work for me on BBC 2 and I tried everything
Geordan Murphy for England
littlemark

Post by littlemark »

The BBCi sport selection at 15.00 was track cycling. There was a similar lack of Rugby last Sunday. Remember, this is the same national institution who regularly screw up the online Tigers commentary, hopeless.

Mark
Alatoruk

Post by Alatoruk »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote:on a lighter note I am very surprised that the semis were not all English and all Welsh to assure a mixed final
ah, but they pulled that stunt last year. It would be too obvious to do it too many times.

I read one of the semis is being held at Coventry this year. Are they doing them both back to back as usual?
Billb
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Billb »

I must agree with the view that the coverage by the BBC was abject.

On Saturday, they showed the Northants match, but hghlights of the Cardiff game only, not the Tigers game.

On Sunday, the coverage was on-existant.

As there is no weekly Rugby coverage, we will see nothing of the other matches, and I seriously doubt if the Internationals coverage will include any highlights of the EDF.

The RFU need to insist that if the BBC are to bid, they must at least show highlights of all the games in the week that they happen. (Look at SKY Rugby Club coverage), and the HC review on Sunday nights.)
BillB
seaweed
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by seaweed »

[quote="Tiger_in_Birmingham"]Despite only 1/4 matches in the EDF containing a Welsh side 3/4 of the BBC1 matches involved a Welsh team :smt017 and I believe all of the red-button/online matches were matches involving Welsh teams as are all of the available highlights I can fine - positive discrimination anyone?

FYI red button is normally a BB2 Wales/Scrum 5 feed which is why, at a wild guess, they show a lot of Welsh teams. Could be wrong but ......
To quote Ray Gravell - You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.

Owain Glyndŵr now he was a man of vision.
maskedsquid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by maskedsquid »

Billb wrote:I must agree with the view that the coverage by the BBC was abject.

On Saturday, they showed the Northants match, but hghlights of the Cardiff game only, not the Tigers game.
The only highlight from the Tigers game was a passage of play which saw one of the many high balls land on the head of a Sale player as Sam Vesty slipped over in front of him, causing the Sale forward to fall over on top of him.

That completely summed up the match.
It's only cheating if you get caught.