Corry at second row- Kay out of 22 and new captain

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Spunkemo
Top Cat
Top Cat

Corry at second row- Kay out of 22 and new captain

Post by Spunkemo »

After seeing him in the prem final last season iv decided that id prefer to see him at second row than anywhere else in the 1st XV. Hees still a gd player but he lacks the mobility witch a back row needs with the new ELVS cuming in.

However i would use him as bench cover for most the season as i dont think he diserves a starting place when you have forwards like

Blaze
Deacon
Wentzel

playing realy well. One thing i must say is we need to forget about Kay tbh-hees old, slow and should be wiser than to give easy penalties away- and imo not got any gd qualities compared to the three listed above.

Also remember how mutch of an up and coming tallent Blaze was wen he turned up-and he has had hardly any games -thats just wrong as he was put bellow Kay in the pecking order.

would like to see

4.Deacon
5.Blaze
with Wentzel on bench as the second rows most used this season.

ohh and also give Crane.G Murphey or Ellis captancy please- Crane can lead and is a wikid player (although him and Newby will have a gd competition) and then theres Ellis and Murphy who are 2 of our best backs.

What do you think ?
SAVE BEN HERRING
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Maybe a bit harsh to drop Kay completely this season, though I do agree that this season must be the start of the transition from old to new, with Corry/White/Kay etc being phased out of the team slowly for the new blood.

I would at the moment prefer Wentzel in the 2nd row as I feel he is our best overall 2nd row and is underrated. He is a fantastic jumper and ball stealer and he is also handy in open play with great hands and a fair amount of pace. Also agreed about back row maneuverability.

I think your choices for captain are good ones, each with credibility to lead. I personally would go for Ellis. Also remember that Deacon has captain the side a few times in the past. It wouldnt suprise me if Deacon got it.
Jim__2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jim__2 »

I agree with you Darc Tiger, keep him on the bench and, if he retires at the end of next season, then he's gracefully retired rather than being forced off the scene.
Easty

Post by Easty »

Personally Wentzel is the first lock on the sheet, then its 'horses for courses' depending on the opposition in front of them. But IMO Deacon is only 5th choice, he looked ponderous in open play and clearly lacking something from previous seasons, maybe it was the whole atmosphere in the dressing room, I don't know, but I'd have Blaze, Corry & yes....even Kay before him, until he shows better form.

I agree, Cozza for 2nd row or off the bench and as for captain ~ I can see the benefit of Ellis, but I'd be really nervous, I have a sneaking suspicion that it would be to the detriment of his game either from 'over thinking' things, or just trying to do it all himself. Deacon ~ sorry but no. And I really can't see Geordan as a captain either......so who? good question, I see no obvious 'established' squad member with the qualities, so I'd be tempted to go for a bit of a risk & go young....possibly Crane, but as a really 'out of the box' suggestion, I think Croft has the potential. Other than that, the only one I would suggest (and this will get a few comments) Mauger, I think under the new coach his game will be more suited and he certainly has the rugby brain to do a good job.
To The Board ~ you have one season to prove you've got this decision right. More than you gave Marcelo
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Actually I quite like the idea of Mauger as a captain. Smart lad, but does he have the squads full respect yet?
tigerben
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerben »

as the dragons did with Charvis i think we should stick with Corry as club captain, but have someone else (deacon in my opinion) as 'playing captain' as with the players we have now corry isn't a guarenteed start anymore (in my opinion)
Leicester Football Club.
First Back to Back European Champions.
First Club to win an Away Guiness Premiership Play-off Semi-Final.
British by Birth - Welsh by the Grace of God
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

I agree with the deterioration of Corry's pace, as a result I believe he should enjoy this season - mostly from the bench.

Kay's form has dropped too and so should join Corry on the bench.

Because of the ELV's I think the back-row has to be mobile:

4. Wentzel
5. Deacon / Blaze

6. Croft
7. Moody
8. Crane

18. Blaze / Kay
19. Corry / Newby

What do you think?

C
Tiger Eye
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger Eye »

When I saw the title of this thread I thought it was actually true! :smt017
Leinster Heineken Cup champions 2009
Ireland Grand Slam champions 2009

http://sites.google.com/site/ritamarielawlor/
tigergirl
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by tigergirl »

ELVs aren't coming in this season are they?
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

I'm loving the idea everyone seems to have got into their head that "the ELVs" mean that everyone has to be fast around the pitch.

Why, exactly?

Which ELVs are going to make all the difference, and mean that guys like Corry and Kay are too slow?

5m offside line at the scrum? Not sure it would make that much difference whether it's Corry, Crane or Newby at the back of the pack.
Lea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Lea »

ELV's are not coming yet...they are supposed to be trialled in a tournament up here but we havent a clue as to what or when...unless I missed an announcement.

I would prefer Kay to be on the park as opposed to on the bench. He is far to good a player to sit on the bench.
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

i still think Corry should be club captain even if he doesnt start every week ala LBND
Alwig

Post by Alwig »

The ELVs are coming in, just not quite all of them. The trial was supposed to include the remaining ones as well and the IRB wanted it to be the EDF but the RFU/WRFU said no.

I'd argue that the new laws at the breakdown will mean the backrow has to be pacy, as will the reduction in number of scrums and mauls reduces the need for bulky slow players.
Jim__2
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jim__2 »

So if I was to ever become a proffesional player I'd be done for then?! I play in the front row, slow AND bulky :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Easty wrote:Personally Wentzel is the first lock on the sheet, then its 'horses for courses' depending on the opposition in front of them. But IMO Deacon is only 5th choice, he looked ponderous in open play and clearly lacking something from previous seasons, maybe it was the whole atmosphere in the dressing room, I don't know, but I'd have Blaze, Corry & yes....even Kay before him, until he shows better form.
I strongly disagree about Deacon. As, I guess, do the many players who voted Deacon 'players player of the season' last year.

Kay goes AWOL far too often, and whilst he clearly has the capacity to play at a high level he does it far too infrequently. Some of his performances last season were well below par. Deacon however is our best mauling and rucking lock, does the basics consistently well, and is an excellent foil to the much looser Wentzel.