Martin Corry's Captincy

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

moza9
Tiger Cub

Martin Corry's Captincy

Post by moza9 »

After watching the game on saturday, i thought a few of cozza's decsions were wrong. the penalty choice on about 70 mins.

The camera caught vardell's reaction to the decsion and he obviously thought we should have gone for the try.

Do you think the players are getting annoyed with the negitive/old school style of captincy?

And should we get a new captin? I would like to see Harry Ellis
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I honestly don't think Corry will be captain next season. With Newby coming in, Croft and Crane emerging, and a strong second row he simply isn't guaranteed a start any more.

For me, the decision to go for the points on 70 minutes was spot on. Get within a try would have been the logic. Not Corry's fault that Goode spooned it!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

100% the correct decision. As Ian said, if we got the 3 points, a converted try afterwards would have got a draw.
moza9
Tiger Cub

Post by moza9 »

Normally i am inclined to take the 3. but in this instance it relied on an offsong goode to slot it over and then the conversion if we had of scored the try. Then we would only of got a draw. It just seemed to me they should of tried to win the game, therefore IMHO they should of gone for the corner
terrier92
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by terrier92 »

moody for captain.
cozza when he's injured or banned...
bring on the treble!!!
moza9
Tiger Cub

Post by moza9 »

Love the moody idea. He just isnt on the pitch enough for tigers to make him captin.
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

Agree with the moody call completly would lead from the front is a lot more tactically savy than people give him credit for and IMHO don't think he will be with england as first choice next season due to the choice of other players that are also available on the back row
Fat Prop.

Post by Fat Prop. »

I think that the time as come for the captain's armband to change. Cozza isn't the right man for the job, we let the best one go the only natural leader on the park for the last few seasons was Leo Cullen.like the moody idea but not on the pitch long enough so hopefully when he arrives we give the job to Newby.
Anders Mabbutt

Post by Anders Mabbutt »

i am with ian corry gave the rite decision andy missed the pen he did not have his kiking boots on
ANDERS MABBUTT (MABBS)
01crusea

Post by 01crusea »

Going by the logic that the captain should always be the first name on the team sheet, I can't see anyone being guaranteed a start on merit other than Jordan Crane and Harry Ellis. I don't mean to downtalk any other player, but there is a lot of competition around the park and those two are the only solids in what my team would be. So i'd choose Crane and have Ellis as a vice-captain. Definately wouldn't stick with Corry.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Moody as captain would certinaly make light of the lod jokes.
hanljohnson
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by hanljohnson »

The early bird may catch the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
BigWillyV

Post by BigWillyV »

I know this season has been rough, but its not cozza's fault.

Just remember that this is a guy who has put himself on the line for tigers for the best part of 10 years. Instead of pointing the blame on one person for the lack of success this year, the whole team need to take responsibility for it and work :censored: hard for next year.

Cozza only has 1 year left in him, so we could have him as club captain, but give him a vice (Harry Ellis is a clear fav for me, or Louis) so they can take over next year.
Tuliagi+Castro=Me
penfold
Tiger Cub

Post by penfold »

Corry's captaincy is better now than it has ever been. Every decision on Saturday with regards to when to kick for goal and when to kick for touch was 100% correct. You couldn't always say that of him, for instance the shocking game from a captaincy point of view he had in the Bath HEC QF at the Walkers a couple of years back where he spurned three points far too often, and eventually we lost a game we could have won comfortably. I think he's learnt a lot from that day. Of course we don't know how good his motivation or other behind the scenes stuff was, but from what we can see, he was dead right all day.

However, I wouldn't be inclined to start him on non 6N / injury weekends next year. Whilst his mind is willing (and he still drives us from the front) and his decisions are now spot on, his body isn't there anymore, especially at 6. Too slow to breakdowns. Perhaps Kay is the man?
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Needs to be somone who could be Guaranteed a starting spot almost every week first and foremost, so you're looking at Castro, Deacon, Kay, Croft, Crane, Moody, Ellis, Mauger, G Murphy and possibly Newby...