England tour squad

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MentallyMadMax
Top Cat
Top Cat

England tour squad

Post by MentallyMadMax »

Ok, im back and the actual chosen squad is below.

Actual squad

Backs: M Brown (Harlequins), P Sackey (Wasps), D Strettle (Harlequins), T Ojo (London Irish), M Tait (Newcastle), M Tindall (Gloucester), J Noon (Newcastle), T Flood (Newcastle), O Barkley (Bath), D Cipriani (Wasps), C Hodgson (Sale Sharks), R Wigglesworth (Sale Sharks), P Richards (London Irish), D Care (Harlequins).
Forwards: A Sheridan (Sale Sharks), T Payne (Wasps), M Stevens (Bath), J Hobson (Bristol), L Mears (Bath), D Hartley (Northampton), D Paice (London Irish), S Borthwick (Bath, capt), B Kay (Leicester), N Kennedy (London Irish), T Palmer (Wasps), T Croft (Leicester), J Haskell (Wasps), J Worsley (Wasps), M Lipman (Bath), T Rees (Wasps), N Easter (Harlequins), L Narraway (Gloucester).

Players not selected because of injury:
J Lewsey (Wasps), S Geraghty (London Irish), H Ellis (Leicester), S Shaw (Wasps), J Simpson-Daniel (Gloucester), J Wilkinson (Newcastle), L Deacon (Leicester), P Vickery (Wasps), L Moody (Leicester).

Your thoughts?
Last edited by MentallyMadMax on Tue May 13, 2008 5:35 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Formerly 'Darc Tiger' but for some reason my account is lost...

Anyways, COME ON TIGERS! and KEEP THE FAITH! =P
PorkieYorkie23
Tiger Cub

Post by PorkieYorkie23 »

Why take Harry Ellis, a tour of New Zealand is the last thing he needs. Nice to see Dylan Hartley in there!
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

MentallyMadMax, I have sent you a PM - but your Darc Tiger account is now re-opened and available if you want to log on with that.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
MentallyMadMax
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by MentallyMadMax »

Rizzo wrote:MentallyMadMax, I have sent you a PM - but your Darc Tiger account is now re-opened and available if you want to log on with that.
Ooo! thank you. didnt no what 2 do about the whole ordeal. Thanks again. Didnt fancy trying to build up my post count again. :smt005
Formerly 'Darc Tiger' but for some reason my account is lost...

Anyways, COME ON TIGERS! and KEEP THE FAITH! =P
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

thoughts

Post by smalldell »

Vickery is I believe finished at international level he should have had the commonsense to retire.

Chuter seems well out of favour and I do not think he is dynamic enough for the new regime.

Ellis may need an op, but to me he needs a rest and time to prepare thoroughly for next season.

Wilkinson is having an operation and is unavailable and should not be considered anyway.

Flood is injured I believe and Tindall could be out.

I think you have to consider:

Gherity (London Irish - a cert I would suggest if fit.
Rees backrow openside
Fluety - wasps
Powell - Saracens
Houghton - Saracens

I could go on, but i think the squad will be a way different to what you suggest
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

IM BACK BABY! :smt003

Now back on topic. I feel Harry should go, even if its just 2 train with an international side again. i wouldnt start him though. I feel a few top class appearances would do him good. Remember, he still has the rest of the pre-season at Tigers.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Didnt no we had so many injuries! :smt017

Maybe I need 2 revise the list. Should make an interesting squad with them out.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

Is Flutey now eligible to play for England? Should probably go if he is.

I would take

PROPS: Stevens, Sheridan, Vickery, Woods
HOOKERS: Mears, Hartley, Paice
SECOND ROW: Borthwick, Kennedy, Deacon, Shaw/Kay,
BACK ROW: Croft, Lipman, Haskell, Crane, Rees

SCRUM HALVES: Ellis, Care, Wigglesworth
FLY HALVES: Cipriani, Hodgson, Geraghty
CENTRES: Barkley, Flutey, Tindall, Tait
WINGERS: Sackey (if fit, Banahan if not), Varndell, Simpson Daniel (if fit, Ojo if not), Strettle
FULL BACKS: Lewsey, Foden

Captain either Borthwick or Tinds.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

1. Sheridan, Payne/Wood
2. Mears, Hartley, Paice
3. Stevens, Vickery/Barnard, Hobson
4. Palmer, Deacon/Kay
5. Borthwick, Kennedy
6. Croft, Haskell, Worsley
7. Rees, Lipman/Lund
8. Crane, Ward-Smith/Easter/Narraway
9. Care, Wigglesworth, Foden
10. Cipriani, Geraghty, Lamb/Hodgson
11. Vainikolo, Banahan
12. Barkley, Flutey/Allen
13. Tait, Tindall/Hipkiss/Noon
14. Varndell, Sackey/Strettle/Ojo
15. Brown, Abendanon/Haughton

There's actually more than 32 there, but some are too close for me to call, but then it's not my job to. Tried to pick on form, but I'm bound to have forotten someone. Tried to pick younger players in the main too, players that are likely to make it to the next world cup, hopefully. If we start looking at these players now, and getting them capped and experienced, come the world cup we won't be a team of dads army, or a team of young kids barely capped, we should have a squad of players in their prime, all expereinced, much like the Boks did last RWC.
The entire Quins back row are unlucky, along with one or two others who may be better served getting some gae time with the Saxons first.
IsraeliTiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IsraeliTiger »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_u ... 396322.stm

England squad
Backs: M Brown (Harlequins), P Sackey (Wasps), D Strettle (Harlequins), T Ojo (London Irish), M Tait (Newcastle), M Tindall (Gloucester), J Noon (Newcastle), T Flood (Newcastle), O Barkley (Bath), D Cipriani (Wasps), C Hodgson (Sale Sharks), R Wigglesworth (Sale Sharks), P Richards (London Irish), D Care (Harlequins).
Forwards: A Sheridan (Sale Sharks), T Payne (Wasps), M Stevens (Bath), J Hobson (Bristol), L Mears (Bath), D Hartley (Northampton), D Paice (London Irish), S Borthwick (Bath, capt), B Kay (Leicester), N Kennedy (London Irish), T Palmer (Wasps), T Croft (Leicester), J Haskell (Wasps), J Worsley (Wasps), M Lipman (Bath), T Rees (Wasps), N Easter (Harlequins), L Narraway (Gloucester).

No Varndell :( Only two Tigers there, Kay and Croft. Not a huge surprise really, except Varndell not being there, and possibly Crane too.
Kinoulton wrote:Surely that's much more in depth than your average corporate box punter can tolerate. How about "If the entire crowd shut up, you shut up. Otherwise we'll close your bar."
masopa
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by masopa »

I personally think that looks like a good squad. TV seems to me to be very much a confidence player and being a senior player in the Saxons may well do him more good than a trip to NZ.

I like the balance of experience vs youth, especially in the forwards. Great to see a few young tyros being tried out... why not?!

No Ellis in either Saxons or senior, which is a bit of a surprise TBH. Good that Blaze made the Saxons and Chutes to lead from the front.

All in all, pretty happy. I guess Geraghty is injured??
IsraeliTiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IsraeliTiger »

Yeah, thats a pretty good squad. I think Geraghty should probably be there for full back cover, and I'm surprised Sinbad isn't at least in the Saxons. Overall like you say, a good mix of youth and experience.
Kinoulton wrote:Surely that's much more in depth than your average corporate box punter can tolerate. How about "If the entire crowd shut up, you shut up. Otherwise we'll close your bar."
masopa
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by masopa »

IsraeliTiger wrote:Yeah, thats a pretty good squad. I think Geraghty should probably be there for full back cover, and I'm surprised Sinbad isn't at least in the Saxons. Overall like you say, a good mix of youth and experience.
Apparently Geraghty was not considered to due injury. JSD elected to have his shoulder fixed this time around rather than during the lions tour... perhaps he's hopeful he may feature in 09!!
RayDTuTu

Post by RayDTuTu »

No Balshaw - Good.
No Vainakolo - Good.
I would have liked to have seen Haughton get a chance in one of the squads.
Surely a better FB that Abendanon.