Do we use a sports psychologist?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

SabreTooth

Post by SabreTooth »

Sounds odd I know. Just interests me. Particularly the way we seem to have approached a lot of games this season. I know motivating the players is a coaches job. Can't help but think it hasn't been working terribly well.
Tigers are remarkable for their strength and speed. They are named tiger for their speed, because in the language of the Medes and Persians the word for arrow is tigris.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

The answer simply is "yes"
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
SabreTooth

Post by SabreTooth »

Thanks. Not that then. Unless he/she's rubbish.
Tigers are remarkable for their strength and speed. They are named tiger for their speed, because in the language of the Medes and Persians the word for arrow is tigris.
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

I think some posters on this forum need to!
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

I am available Pete - but I am very expensive!!
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
SabreTooth

Post by SabreTooth »

Pete Wrote:

That would be a Psychiatrist. Besides I thought it was a fair question.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

SabreTooth wrote:Pete Wrote:

That would be a Psychiatrist. Besides I thought it was a fair question.
It was a very reasonable question. See Andy Goode thread.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

As has been remarked on numerous occasions, the team have had games when they have just not turned up, and have seemingly lacked any sort of motivation, maybe as a result of back room shenanigans between coaches, coaches and players, and players themselves. This is a management issue,(and I don't just mean ML), but is something a sports psychologist should be involved in resolving.

I believe that this is the single most important factor in the players performances this season.

Regardless of the coaching style, the attitude of the whole team, managers, coaches and players should have been a great deal more positive. Leadership by senior players on the field has been lacking, and performances should have been a great deal better.
Valhalla I am coming!
SabreTooth

Post by SabreTooth »

Fleabane, I think you're spot on.
Iain D
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Iain D »

When I was playing for the Youth team back in the 90's we all sat through a talk with a Sports Psych. So, assuming that things have moved on since then, I suspect that there will be one associated with the club. How much time they have with the players though, I have no idea.
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

Send for Eileen Drewery.

:smt002
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

Play and get paid. Play like a wuss and you pay the fans! Thats psychology.
Performance related pay? 5 good performances in the year? Sorry the Tigers are in debt.
Mid Lander

Post by Mid Lander »

I'm a trainee psychotherapist and it's interesting to hear that they have a psychologist. But i'm sure that would only deal with cognition which, obviously only goes so deep.

It woud be fascinating to see if a club uses a psychotherapist.
SabreTooth

Post by SabreTooth »

Mid Lander wrote:I'm a trainee psychotherapist and it's interesting to hear that they have a psychologist. But i'm sure that would only deal with cognition which, obviously only goes so deep.

It woud be fascinating to see if a club uses a psychotherapist.
For the idiots among us (me), what does that mean?
Cliffeclimber
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cliffeclimber »

If you click the Players & Coaches button on the left, you'll find the coaches there. There seems to be a lot of fitness and conditioning ones for the body, but no one to help get players' minds sorted. Maybe this is up to the coaches, though being able to improve a player's skill level and tactical awareness doesn't mean that these coaches are any good at motivation.

Again, it seems that the Board hasn't thought out the structure of the coaching staff in enough detail. Surely this isn't ML's fault.