NEW STAND

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jaynenash

NEW STAND

Post by jaynenash »

Not sure whether this has been posted before but what happens to the supporters in the Next Stand (me included) when the work is being carried out. According to the Mercury it is going to take 18 months.

Jayne Nash
Jayne Nash
BigChris

Post by BigChris »

My recollection, and from various threads, is that the new stand will be built behind (and over) the existing next stand, with the current stand only being removed during the summer break.
stevomarkv
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by stevomarkv »

would hse not have something to say about building it and people being under it? if thats the case would we have to go in from another stand? and finally, i doubt very much they can demolish the next stand and finish the new one in the summer break unless they do a deal with the rfu
welshy3

Post by welshy3 »

Stand looks brilliant.

...seriously though the slopey bits?

Who's bright idea are they?

Is it going to be used as a dry ski slope in the summer?
chappie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chappie »

The slopey bits are designed to enhance the sound within Welford road. :smt002
Franck Tournaire Number 1 fan.
welshy3

Post by welshy3 »

Aren't tigers supporters banned from making noise?
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

welshy3 wrote:...seriously though the slopey bits?
Don't forget the shape of the site. We don't have a nice neat rectangle to work with and cannot move the roads that bound the east and western sides.
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
Mrmatt1

Post by Mrmatt1 »

I like the sloping section of the new stand, actually, I like the whole development, looks much more interesting than any other modern built stadium (i.e. the Walkers Stadium...).
Leicester Tigers rule. FACT.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

From official news releases

The first phase of the redevelopment scheme is to replace the Next Stand with a new 10,000 capacity stand, taking the stadium capacity up to around 24,000. Subject to planning approval, Tigers would hope to start work in Spring next year with the first phase.

There are a number of options available in terms of the building timetable but this cannot be confirmed until a decision is made on the scheme by the planning authorities and the contractors.

The first phase of work would be building the North stand, which would take about 18 months.

Part of the new stand will be built at the back of the existing Next stand to allow it to continue to be used during construction.

The old stand would be demolished in the summer of 2009.

The replacement stand would be open - giving a total ground capacity of 23,472 - by the beginning of the 2009 season, in September.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Fine in theory, but I've only ever seen one civil engineering project finish on time to a tight schedule, with the exception of the Olympics of course. But then they go way over budget. I'm not saying it can't be done, most things are achievable if you've got enough money to throw at the problem.

Looking into my crystal balls I have a vision. It is the Tigers playing rugby in a concrete bowl while the work is finished. Its not far from Welford Road........
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Buff
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Buff »

There is nothing revolutionary, or difficult, about building a new stand over and around an existing one thereby permitting the continued use of the old one throughout the building phase. That method is currently being applied at Thomond Park and was also used at the successful (on time, on budget) redevelopment at Old Trafford which recently raised the MUFC capacity from 60,000 to 73,000. From a construction viewpoint it's comparatively low tech!!
GEH

Post by GEH »

I'm sure there are those who would prefer to see their very comfortable wooden benches retained until the year 2050 but not me.

And as a confirmed 'terracer' it's brilliant that standing accomodation is retained in the new plan. So let's get behind the Club in its efforts to develop the best rugby stadium in the country - better than Twickers even if you've ever sat in the back rows there with your binoculars!

Re the building pogramme it will be tight but remember the Alliance & Leicester stand. The 'doubting Thomases' said it would never open on time but it did.
LessThanSte
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by LessThanSte »

I told ya, the sloping bits make it look ever so slightly like the tigers logo. I will prove it shortly!
#48 FTW :)
Chez
Tiger Cub

Post by Chez »

It's hard to tell looking at the artist's impression, but it looks like some of the A&L stand will disappear. Is this really the case? Or is it a bad drawing? If it is going to disappear, how does that affect us that sit up there?
boondock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boondock »

someone at tigers needs to ring saints and ask for the name of a good builder. because we had one.

the first phase could not be fitted into the close season, but the rfu kindly scheduled away games through september and the tetley stand was ready on schedule for our first home match in the october.

on the churchs / south stand development the year after they were actually ahead of schedule.

as i recall it was scottish contractors who pretty much lived on site and got the job done as the sooner they were done the sooner they went home. standard of design & work was pretty good too.

so it can be done.

good luck.
"I don't recall Boondock posting inflammatory comments on here. I can see nothing wrong with him, except for him being a Saint..." westy154 18/03/08