Deadwood

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

muttley75
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by muttley75 »

Rizzo wrote:IMHO it would be a calamity if we lost any of the so-called "deadwood" mentioned in this topic!
Can do nothing but agree with you there Rizzo!! Why the HELL would we get rid of Geordie, Whitey, Ben and Goodey?? With Geordie and Ben still at the top of their games, Julian a (slightly) waning star but still one of the GP's most destructive scrummagers and Goodey with loads left to give the club.

Ridiculous, if we get rid of anyone, it's fringe players and bring in better players to strengthen the squad! At the moment, i think that they've got it about right!!
the schizophrenic mutt - tiger or fox, tiger or fox, errrrr!!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=568315524
www.myspace.com/martindurrad
dunc
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dunc »

Quick question for the new member who started this thread. Are you an Arsenal fan. You seem to be suggesting following their ever so successful approach to evolving a team. For those of you who don't know Arsenal have sold off a number of their top players over recent years while still at the top of the game and replaced them with talented kids. Unfortunately this strategy is flawed when they hit a decent side who can expose their soft underbelly and has resultyed in them struggling to live with the top side in the Premiership. At Leicester we have been very good at seemlessly blending in new talent and phasing out older players as their careers pass their peak.

We have great youth coming through who will get a lot more game time during the World Cup anyway.

With reference to the players you have mentioned:

White will not be in the first choice XV next season and will start be phased out after the world cup. Castrogiovani and Ayerza who I think are both under 25 will be the starting props.

Ben Kay has found his form once more but we have recruited Richard Blaze who is in his early 20s. We also have Louis Deacon and James Hamilton and I think another new signing.

Andy Goode is not that old himself and is hugely underrated by some of us. He is certainly not so old as to not improve his game further. Ian Humphreys showed he has the potential to be a top class fly half last year

Geordan Murphy is a great player and anything but deadwood. His skills are quite unique and therefore would get him a start in most teams in the world. We also have youngsters more than capable of comvering him and who have shown they are the future of the club. Sam Vesty has been an outstanding deputy and Johne Murphy has had an impressive introduction to first team rugby.

I think this thread is a little misguided. When players pass their peak then yes they should be phased out. We as a club have always been good at doing this . Think how seemlessly Lewis Moody, Ollie Smith, Dan Hipkiss and Jordan Crane have all been introduced over recent years to name just a few.