Deadwood

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiger31875

Post by Tiger31875 »

i am a genuine tigers fan, i just feel that we should start and rebuild for the future now rather then waiting before its to late and we fall behind the rest of the pack, i think that the best way for the Tigers is to keep changing thier team.
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

But WHY do we need to change the side?

Why change a winning formula when we have just got the side settled?

Was anyone suggesting we change the side when we had Johnno, Backy, Deano, the ABC etc?

No.

Why not?

Because they were winning & it was a successful, settled side who were Leicester through & through.
kingneptuneii
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kingneptuneii »

Tiger31875 wrote:well surely we can find a better no.10 somewhere.
tell you what mate, find us a no.10 wth as much class and as good a boot as goode, who is with a club willing to let him go in RWC year, who WANTS to come to tigers, and who we can get without breaking the salary cap. and who we can actually play without breaking any of the overseas players rules. and we'll consider it ;o)

and as fo the comments around kay white and the wizard, I think you've been out in the sun too long!
Never mind the ball, get on with the game!!
k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by k1 »

In some respects I agree with Tiger31875. I think it's a good idea to look at the dynamics of the team and consider how we can change our "winning formula" to move ahead of the rest of the pack.

On the other hand, I disagree with some of the players mentioned.

Kay's been playing well recently; Murphy is still our best FB by a country mile; and White is still the most destructive scrummager in the premiership. I've openly stated I'm not a big Goode fan, but I think Humphries should be 1st choice 10.

I know you could argue "if it ain't broken, don't fix it", but we have a new coach, several new forwards, and one of the best ICs in world rugby coming to WR - would this combination of changes not merit restructuring in the same vein (although perhaps with not the same players as listed above) that Tiger31875 is suggesting?
Jose
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jose »

Am in state of shock having read the above.

Murphy is still class - as a full back rather than a wing, and creates space for those around him at any level. His running lines are brilliant and his hands are as good as anybody else's at the club.

Kay had his best season since the last world cup and was the form English lock in the country last year.

White had a very good, very solid season - he's not Castrogiovanni in the loose, but you don't expect him to be. Don't recall our scrum going backwards too many times with him at tighthead.

Goode is not always the most reliable, but has contributed a lot of points and is definitely worth his place as first choice fly half over the last 4 years.

We won 2 titles in a highly competitive environment. Am not quite sure where you find the motivation to post something like this or how you can believe that it would make sense to clear out the players identified.
Joe The Tigers Fan
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Re: Deadwood

Post by kornboy130 »

Tiger31875 wrote:surely if we got rid of the dead wood in this club i.e Goode, G Murphy, White, Kay etc, we would be an unstoppable force in the GP. Anyone else agree?
Dead Wood? honestly. I hate to go with the crowd but i'll join in.

A.Goode - he may not be the most exciting player to watch but 7/10 he gets the job done. He's an accurate goal kicker and if he could work on his play making and consistancy a bit more he could be a very good fly half although i admitedly wanted hernandez to join very badly - and still do.

G.Murphy - last game of the season on a losing side he played a blinder - he slice wasps defence in two in the broken field. He remains one of the worlds top 10 full backs in my book - an impressive feat - he is not too old he is still playing awesome rugby and is one of our more exciting to watch players.

B.Kay - we know he's getting on a bit but he's still a top class player and has had one of the best seasons i've seen for a long time - see the ospreys match for proof. Provisions have been made for his eventual retirement already - Richard Blaze/James Hamilton/Marcos Wentzel will no doubt naturaly suceed him - we're not short of a good lock.

J.White -ever wondered why castro was signed? he's close to retirment but he's still one of the most destructive scrummagers in europe.
Crivvens
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crivvens »

Tiger31875 wrote:well surely we can find a better no.10 somewhere, as for white and kay, they are clearly past there best ad we should look to the academy for thier replacements and i think its time that we started with Alex T and varndell on the wings rather than G Murphy.
Murphy plays fullback more often than not, with Alex and Seru on the wings - his guile to their brute force. I, along with 99% of Tigers fans think it works very well indeed.
Blimey...
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Goode - Deadwood...He is not that good!
To win is not as important as playing with style!
tigerman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigerman »

You watch Goodey have a great season, then lets see you all eat humble pie :lol:
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I think I'm quite safe on that score!
To win is not as important as playing with style!
tigerman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigerman »

Lets see what you have to say if he gets the winning penalty kick in the dying seconds of any major semi/final game :roll:
thebearisstilldeano
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by thebearisstilldeano »

Deadwood - getting rid of players. Hmm Hmmm I have a plan.

Back row men - sack the lot of them - get hold of a real class player like Lawrence Daglaglio - now there's a player who will NEVER be deadwood.

Brupppp brupppp bruppppppp

Nurse!Nurse! the screens again for thebearisstilldeano! (you can use the ones currently around Mr Ashton Nurse)
IsraeliTiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IsraeliTiger »

I don't think Tigers have anything to worry about regarding the age of some of the players. For now G Murphy is still good enough, and when he retires, I trust Sam Vesty to replace him. I think that there are some very talented players coming through the Tigers academy, which is in my opinion (along with Wasps) the most successful academy in the country, so I wouldn't be too worried about finding young replacements.
Kinoulton wrote:Surely that's much more in depth than your average corporate box punter can tolerate. How about "If the entire crowd shut up, you shut up. Otherwise we'll close your bar."
vinniechan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vinniechan »

While I totally agree that some players are getting old, you certainly didn't raise the best examples. Julian Whit and Ben Kay are probably the best in their respective positions in the GP and Geordan is a class apart at full back. Why exactly he is not starting for Ireland is a complete mystery.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

vinniechan wrote:While I totally agree that some players are getting old, you certainly didn't raise the best examples. Julian Whit and Ben Kay are probably the best in their respective positions in the GP and Geordan is a class apart at full back. Why exactly he is not starting for Ireland is a complete mystery.
Hardly!! He refused E O'S's demands that he take a pay cut and play for an Irish side!!