Angry and disappointed

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

On-the-Soar

Angry and disappointed

Post by On-the-Soar »

I've seethed about this all weekend and woken up today still miffed, so I thought I'd share my anger with the world.

A group of friends and I - all season ticket holders - took a late decision that we could, in fact, afford to go to 3 finals in one year, and bought tickets to the Play-off final last Saturday.

We bought 8 tickets on Wednesday (total price £200). The following day - Thursday - we were amazed to see 500 tickets being offered on a '2-for-1' deal by the Leicester Mercury.

Surely the club knew about this the previous day and surely, therefore, the ticket office could have said something when we went in on Wednesday and paid our £200?

This arrangement between Tigers and the Mercury must have been agreed days before we went in to buy our tickets, so surely there was enough time to ensure a message got through to season ticket holders so they didn't get ripped off like this?!

To rub salt into the wounds, we all then realised that these cut-price tickets were available to anybody, not just members! So, as season ticket holders, we paid £50/pair but 500 non-members got them for £25.

What's this all about?!! An 'official' response from somebody would be nice, please.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

I don't think the Club were at fault, although of course your anger/resentment is understandable. Price cutting is evident in all businesses, but you can't sell at the cut-price until the time/date stipulated has arrived. Should Tesco tell you of their advance offers? Of course not, but it's the same principle - they are not out to cheat you, it's just that the price is the price at the time it is offered.

I offer my sympathy though, you could have saved £100, but only if you had been a bit more "lucky".
Tigersfan90
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigersfan90 »

They probably wanted to make as much money as possible out of the tickets they had left (which otherwise may have not sold) and aimed it at people who weren’t sure if they wanted to go/left it until the last minute. Your right it isn’t really fair to the supporters who the Tigers knew would pay full price to go to all three finals to guarantee a ticket.
Guinness Premiership Champions & Heineken Cup Finalists 2009
Tigers never give up !
nwnreader

Post by nwnreader »

Why would the club know what promotions the local press is to run? Who says the Mercury tickets came from the club allocation - such tickets are normally allocated by Twickenham direct.
We've all been there, I'm sure, but it isn't anyones fault. A bit like all the Glaws fans who bought new kit only for their team to lose.......
If Tigers become Lions, how do Lions become Pussycats?
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

The tickets were on 2 for 1 before the semi-finals the group who owns the Mercury probably own papers in Bristol and/or Gloucester so knew one paper would have local finalists so bulk bought them and offered them as a promotion.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

my opinion on both the edf and the premiership final is that they are overpriced..certainly if the genuine intention was to fill a 82000 seat stadium (?) as most people know you could buy as many tickets as you wanted on ebay for the edf for 5 pounds. my personal opinion is that the aim of these matches should be to sell out and establish what price level that can be achieved. maybe it cant ? the interesting model is that stade francais model where they have sold out the stade de france now 5 times..thats 80000 for club games, including vs clermont !! ticket prices were 3 pounds to 15 pounds i believe.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

It could be that the Merc just went ahead and purchased a lot of tickets and ran a promotion to sell some more chip paper. I used to work for the Yorkshire Post and they used to buy loads of Tykes (or should I say Carnegie!) tickets and then give them away in various promotions.

There again Rugby Union is a bit of a swear word up there and they needed to shift some tickets!
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Haven't you ever bought a pair of shoes or a coat at full price, then seen the same thing reduced to half price a week or so later? Annoying, yes, but the way of the world. The Mercury had 500 pairs of tix in their offer, it may be nothing to do with the Club's allocation, could be a way to ensure the place didn't look half full.

Put it another way, we couldn't afford tickets at full price. We could have stretched to the half price offer but I found out about it at 2pm Friday and didn't get out of work until 5pm by which time it was too late.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother