Support for our Directors

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Support for our Directors

Post by rdracup »

I would like to voice my support for our Directors in the on going issues with the RFU. It is messy and we would all wish for a settlement. Also we would all want to see more Sundays like the one just gone BUT if our club game is to have a future we cannot be beholden to the RFU as a very junior partner. The clubs need to develop stadiums, and to develop a profitable business..(it is a business as well as a game .. that is what professional means and the RFU still don’t get it). To do so we need:
Reliable Access to our assets i.e. our players
A growing and reliable revenue stream eg the HC cup
Not to be threatened by some change to a franchise operation mandated by the RFU at some time in the future

Unless or until the RFU give more the PRL should not budge. Ultimately I would prefer to see no HC for a year or two than give all the power to the RFU and watch them prioritise £60 a ticket internationals at Twickers over the club game.

Maybe the web site should run a poll to show how much we (the supporters) support the Directors in their stance.
Tom Tom
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tom Tom »

The Directors of all Premiership clubs are right in taking this stance.
If you look back over the years just think of all the aggroavation that they have caused; Players striking, not being able to keep the most successful coach the game has ever seen. What was the reason behind Carlings '57 old F***s'
What really did it for me was over the witholding of the money for International releases AND THEN saying that they would give it to the Matt Hampson Trust when they were clearly in the wrong, AND Matt was injured whilst training in the England squad. :cry: :mad:
I seem to remember they even held on to Geordans money from the IRU that was not in dispute!

THE BOARD HAVE MY FULL SUPPORT - AND WILL ALSO IF THEY DO WANT TO FORM A BREAKAWAY EUROPEAN LEAGUE.

A poll would be a good idea, what questions would want to be asked?

Explore forming a breakaway european league run by the clubs of Europe.
Central Contracts for England squad?
No Matches in 6 Nations/RWC and during 2 week run up. OR only development games during this period with Non capped players eligible.
There have got to be loads of other ideas, what do you all think?

Would it be worth the clubs all having a confidence vote on the Directors of the RFU?
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

The Board of Leicester Tigers have my full support and I have every confidence in them.

I do not have any confidence in the Board of the RFU.
FlyingTiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by FlyingTiger »

Lets raise the price of tickets to pay for the court costs and fund a new euro super league!
The severity of the itch is inversely proportional to the reach
Tom Tom
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tom Tom »

FlyingTiger wrote:Lets raise the price of tickets to pay for the court costs and fund a new euro super league!
Might not need Court according to Thomas in todays Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.j ... mick04.xml
Scarlet-Al

Post by Scarlet-Al »

It's all a big mess at the RFU...

Would really like to see the HC survive tho!
Scarlets!
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

Now the RFU has taken to the airwaves to warn off the players - see below (from BBC website). There are no printable words to describe the RFU management. Let's make sure our directors feel 110% supported.

RFU chairman Martyn Thomas has warned England players not to play in any unsanctioned European matches which may be staged next year.
Premiership clubs may arrange their own alternative European games if a threat to boycott the Heineken Cup goes ahead.

"It would be inappropriate to sanction fixtures to fill in gaps in the season which have been created by a breach of contract," he told BBC Radio Leicester.
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

All now totally ridiculous.

http://tinyurl.com/3a769h

Do the players need RFU permission to breathe also?
Belfast Tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Belfast Tiger »

The RFU keep complaining that they don't get enough support from the clubs over releasing players for England games. They held back payments to clubs after the last Lions tour and now they are threatening to take clubs to court to make them play in the HC.

The HC is a club competition and so should be controlled by the clubs, not the national body. The French and the Italian clubs get a say in what goes in the HC competions but not the English Prem Clubs.

Does the RFU believe this is going to help with the release of players for the World Cup?

The day the RFU control the professional game in England is the day Rugby dies in England.
We're smiling because we have no idea what's going on!

Rugby is a dish best served at the home of the Tiger, Welford Road
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

I am so sick of theses childish petty games from both sides. "The he's taken my ball and so I'm going to get my dad to sort out the nasty man" attitude is pathetic.

Both sides need to grow up and start acting like adults. Saying that, 5 year old kids would act in a more mature way than these grown up imbeciles. :evil: :evil:
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

tell yer what g you head up PRL and I'll head up RFU and we will make peace very quickly - well on second thoughts we make appear to take a little while!!!
ALECW

Post by ALECW »

I would always support our directors.David Clayton does an excellant job with the supporters forum, i have always got on well with mr P. WHEELER with is brill. sense of humour. Mr P TOM is a much misunderstood man. A few years ago a lady i worked with in Wolverhampton a had a very sick 10year old daughter, i wrote to Peter about this child, you can guess the rest, the gifts flooded in. Unfortunately the child died soon after. I can not imagine how parents feel when these things happen but i told Peter that this child had died and the mother rang me up a few days later to say that a MR. TOM had phoned them up and spoke to them for over 1 hour. enuff said.
USED TO BE WESTMIDS ALEC
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

The Tigers board has my full support. The RFU dont seem to have changed from the days of Will Carling's famous observation!
Jez

Only Winners Win!
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

What is this 'warning' that Martyn Thomas is giving the England International players? If he is saying if you play in a non-sanctioned European competition you won't play for England, who comes off worse? Who will watch an 'England' team comprising players who do not play HC rugby? And a guarantee of a wooden spoon! Madness.
StamfordTiger

Post by StamfordTiger »

I just hope that this whole episode is the deathnell for Thomas and Baron.

They really have lost the plot this time!
Tuilagi is nails!

:pint:

http://tinyurl.com/2stxl4