Attendences at the Cricket World Cup

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Attendences at the Cricket World Cup

Post by simon redshaw »

How many of you have been watching the Cricket World Cup?

If you have, you would have noticed the paltry attendences at a number of the matches and very few have had even like full attendences. Indeed, the only one upcoming that is sold out is Bangladesh vs Ireland!!
;o) ;o)

No dig intended there on our Irish friends but would have thought certain others would have sold out.

Is it the ticket prices being too high, the midweek games, the location of some of the stadiums, West Indies not doing too well? Or a combination of the above?

Its disappointing when you see pretty empty stadiums on the telly. Have to say not the first time that has been the case recently before this World Cup so maybe there are other factors in play.

I enjoyed SKY's coverage yesterday and there was some good fancy dress. Also Ian Smith's interviews with some of the Kiwi and English fans. The NZ fans had some good retro shirts on although one or two were tight fitting and one had something on he might be embarassed about!! :lol: :lol:
Jess
Super User
Super User

Re: Attendences at the Cricket World Cup

Post by Jess »

simon redshaw wrote:
there was some good fancy dress. Also Ian Smith's interviews with some of the Kiwi and English fans. The NZ fans had some good retro shirts on although one or two were tight fitting and one had something on he might be embarassed about!! :lol: :lol:
did you see the guy in what looked like a wetsuit? i thought that was rather odd!
Donncha O'Callaghan and Bruce Reihana are the best players that ever lived. Don't even bother to argue with me.

And - however good Imanol Harinordoquy is, he is still an idiot
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

I did see one of them in a wetsuit!

The one I am referring to was wearing a ladies thong on the outside. He maybe thought he was Batman!!

There were a few with leprachaun outfits on.

Also, the swimming pool looked great. Wouldn't have minded a dip myself!
Jess
Super User
Super User

Post by Jess »

i didn't see the one in the thong :shock:

i didn't watch that long as i was supposed to be working, but the crickets always quite good for people in weird costumes, so i can't really say i'm surprised!
Donncha O'Callaghan and Bruce Reihana are the best players that ever lived. Don't even bother to argue with me.

And - however good Imanol Harinordoquy is, he is still an idiot
DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

That reminds me of the time I saw three Fred Flintstones standing on Leicester station waiting to go to Edgbaston...... :o?
AKA Delilah - Founder Member of 'The Mothers'

Sponsored by Kleenex
StamfordTiger

Post by StamfordTiger »

A few freinds went to nottingham dressed as roman centurians for an england test match a few years ago.

They got on telly but i cant for the life of me find it on you tube :o?

Anyway very funny all the same!
Tuilagi is nails!

:pint:

http://tinyurl.com/2stxl4
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

The reason for the low attendances is simply the ticket prices.

Each game costs approximately a month's wages by local standards.

It's a massive c*ck-up because everyone thought there would be a great "calypso" atmosphere with the colourful locals giving it large.

As it is you just have a few visitors who got their expensive tickets as part of a travel package.

Contrast it with the football World Cup in Japan / South Korea where even relatively low-key group games were played in stadiums packed with noisy colourful flag waving fans.

Admittedly most of them were locals who'd been invited in for next to nothing and were issued with flags of either team on entering the stadium. But so what? It made for a fantastic atmosphere and great theatre for the TV public.

Far better than the camera being filled with blocks of empty seats and the "crowd mikes" picking up nothing but the echoing voices of the players.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!