Wilko is back!!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

falconsoptimist
Tiger Cub

Post by falconsoptimist »

Yeah I was at the game. And yes, despite the result I had a decent day out. All credit to Tigers fans - enjoyed some good banter with you. As I did when you came to KP. I go to most away games and felt your fans were some of the best I've had the pleasure to talk to. Not the loudest fans I've heard, but I imagine that changes when you play one of the 'big' teams. I'll be making Welford Road a regular trip now (as long as its still in our fixture list next year!).
Sherpa2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sherpa2 »

You will always be welcome Falcons Optomist - both in person at WR and on the forum.

I think Johnny played excellently given his long abscence and showed what a class player he really is - looking forward to seeing him back in an England shirt, and the sooner the better for us all.
I used to be indecisive now I just can't make up my mind
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

And for my twopenneth for what it's worth. JW is/was a good player but I am astounded that after one 45 minute appearance after so much injury he magically appears in the England team. Now correct me if I'm wrong isn't it Ashton who said that players would be picked on form? If thats the case then can someone tell me why Balshaw, Wilkinson, Robinson etc are in the team. Balshaw is rubbish, Robinson has been out for weeks with an injury and Wilko has been out forever. so to pick 3 players who are not good enough /match fit is :censored: laughable. I was quietly confident that Ashton would be a go forward type of person but all he's doing is carrying on where Robbo left out and is picking his favourites this team may win the odd 6 nations match but it certainly won't win the WC.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Agree with you in part g, but a big part of me feels more confident about our chances with a bit of experience in the side. Its bold and a gamble, we shall see.
sammy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sammy »

Nabuk, touched. Another great post.

Apologies to the person I was ludicrously patronising to. Even by my standards that was well over the top.

As to the Falcons fan, I had respect for Wilko. He is no longer a world class player. He was. He was a part of a great England side.

Im staggered to see him back in the England side. Just shows how desperately short of quality tens we are. The key decision making positions are taken up by a bloke who has had one game since a 12 week absence and a league player who has had very few games. Scotland for the win.
Nabuk
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nabuk »

Sammy, you must learn, sarcasm does not come across well in typed forums... :)
I RESOLVE TO BE NICER THIS YEAR !
Liamsdad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Liamsdad »

[quote="g"]And for my twopenneth for what it's worth. JW is/was a good player but I am astounded that after one 45 minute appearance after so much injury he magically appears in the England team. Now correct me if I'm wrong isn't it Ashton who said that players would be picked on form? If thats the case then can someone tell me why Balshaw, Wilkinson, Robinson etc are in the team. Balshaw is rubbish, Robinson has been out for weeks with an injury and Wilko has been out forever. so to pick 3 players who are not good enough /match fit is :censored: laughable.

Agree about Balshaw and Robinson G but think it was probably influenced by Sackey and Cueto being injured. Why else play Lewsey on the wing when he is much better at 15. AS for JW i think he went OK against Tigers on Saturday, certainly better than Flood played, so made the team. Plus he has international experience to assist Farrell. Can't see Flood being much help there.
falconsoptimist
Tiger Cub

sammy wrote:Nabuk, touched. Another great post.

Apologies to the person I was ludicrously patronising to. Even by my standards that was well over the top.

As to the Falcons fan, I had respect for Wilko. He is no longer a world class player. He was. He was a part of a great England side.

Im staggered to see him back in the England side. Just shows how desperately short of quality tens we are. The key decision making positions are taken up by a bloke who has had one game since a 12 week absence and a league player who has had very few games. Scotland for the win.
He is world class. Just out of interest, how many time have you watched him play?
Bud
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bud »

Wilkinson showed he was a class apart from Flood on Saturday. I'm excited to see him in an England shirt again.
Ed
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

I just can't believe it! A retrograde step. The young guns will NEVER be good enough unless they are blooded NOW.

The worst case of short termism I've seen since the recall of the Italian chap who plays for Wasps, Wotsisname??

Harrumph!

A good job I'm supporting Wales this year!

..................Sounds of splashing in the bath followed by raucous prop forward singing........

"Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi, Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri;
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
sammy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sammy »

falconsoptimist wrote:He is world class. Just out of interest, how many time have you watched him play?
In the last 12 weeks? Once. In the last three years I've seen him play occasionally for Falcons, and obviously not for England.

How can you say he is world class? The man has been out pretty much since the World Cup final, and in truth he didn't have the greatest tournament there.

The point I am trying to make is he may well be world class but how does anybody know? He hasn't played anywhere near enough to know.
falconsoptimist
Tiger Cub

sammy wrote:
falconsoptimist wrote:He is world class. Just out of interest, how many time have you watched him play?
In the last 12 weeks? Once. In the last three years I've seen him play occasionally for Falcons, and obviously not for England.

How can you say he is world class? The man has been out pretty much since the World Cup final, and in truth he didn't have the greatest tournament there.

The point I am trying to make is he may well be world class but how does anybody know? He hasn't played anywhere near enough to know.
My point is that without watching him play you're not in a position to say whether he is or isn't. The assumption that cos he hasn't played regularly he can't be considered world class is not necessarily logical. The noises that those who have seen him train and play (rugby professionals who, lets be honest, are in a much better position than you or I to comment) say he is better than ever before. I suppose my ultimate point is don't write him off just yet, he's got 2 world cups left in him, touch wood.

As an aside, when you have seen him play for Falcons, are we talking about watching him on TV?
sammy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sammy »

[quote="falconsoptimist]
My point is that without watching him play you're not in a position to say whether he is or isn't. The assumption that cos he hasn't played regularly he can't be considered world class is not necessarily logical. The noises that those who have seen him train and play (rugby professionals who, lets be honest, are in a much better position than you or I to comment) say he is better than ever before. I suppose my ultimate point is don't write him off just yet, he's got 2 world cups left in him, touch wood.

As an aside, when you have seen him play for Falcons, are we talking about watching him on TV?[/quote]

But, my point is how can any player who doesn't play be world class? Surely any sportsman needs game time to be great. Wilko was not born a good rugby player, he proved it playing for Falcons and England.

He hasn't played enough to be anything, good or bad.

And in recent times I've seen Wilko play a bit, although I'm sure not as often as yourself. I recall him made to look an absolute fool by a Tigers lad called Ross Broadfoot a couple of seasons back. Ross looked by far the better player, Wilko was hilariously bad. Now Tigers have got rid of Broadfoot and Wilko is in an England jersey. The whole thing is a farce.

Don't say I didn't warn you folks, this will all end in tears...
falconsoptimist
Tiger Cub

This is getting a bit silly now isn't it? OK, I agree, Ross Broadfoot is a better player than Jonny Wilkinson.