Paul Burke today...

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Paul Burke today...

Post by kornboy130 »

ive been mostly with the people who say burke is a solid player but not very dynamic or he dosnt have much flare - but give credit where credit is due - his performance today was absolutely awesome - when playign against two very good fly half (wilko and flood) i would'nt expect him to play a flare filled game but he did - congratulations mr.burke - welcome to tigers.
Goffer3404
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Goffer3404 »

Just wish he'd run straight rather than drift across as he tended to do, particularly when you've Varndell on the wing. Rest was really good, did make some great breaks. Great performance from the team, particularly in the second half. How must Falcons felt when Tigers started putting their bench on?!
Tigersfan90
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigersfan90 »

Goffer3404 wrote:Just wish he'd run straight rather than drift across as he tended to do, particularly when you've Varndell on the wing.
:lol: Yea. You've got a point there. He made up for it though with his kicks though. As for our bench...It speaks for itself. :D
Guinness Premiership Champions & Heineken Cup Finalists 2009
Tigers never give up !
MIGHTY-MORENO

Post by MIGHTY-MORENO »

I thought Burkey did a great job for us today, and i was impressed with his goal kicking. He's hitting form just at the time we'll be needing him most!

I know this is totally irrelevant to this topic, but has there been any news on Goode? Is he injured?
kevf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kevf »

yes he did play a good game kicking was good... soke good breaks got around made breaks...

My only concern is with his tackling, but he did a reasonable job of that today so all round good day for him..

See Nik we don't have a go at him all the time when he plays well we say so
Growing old is mandatory growing up is opiotnal
Tigersfan90
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigersfan90 »

Just out of interest does anyone remember the "worst fly half in history thread"? How stupid do the people look who posted something nasty about him then? He’s clearly not.
Tigers never give up !
kevf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kevf »

he has his moment to be fair to people who ave a go... some games he has be atrocious... (thats going to get some stick from Nik) .... but i would far from say he was atrocious if he kept his form like today or somewhere near he would be a very good fly half... unfortunately he is inconsistent... saying that so is goodey..

he play very well today and i hope he keeps up that type of form.... no Nik i really do :lol:
Growing old is mandatory growing up is opiotnal
pogue3
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by pogue3 »

Burke did have one of his better displays, humpheries is playing well. all this is adding up for great competition for the fly half role as andy goode will be wanting a good come back. i hope the drop from england boosts him and makes him more determined to play better. He is a good fly half and i would wish for a lot of people to give him a break considering the amount of games he has helped us win.
We're looking strong right now!
sammy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Paul Burke today...

Post by sammy »

kornboy130 wrote:his performance today was absolutely awesome.
Ok, lets calm down here.

First off, I was, and shall remain to be a very vocal critic of Paul Burke. But, in recent weeks he's done ok. All I expect of Burkey is consistent kicking and reliable game management. If he delivers that then I will be happy. I take back some of the OTT criticism, but the fact remains that he is at best our third choice ten, and given the choice I would welcome Ross Broadfoot back in Burkey's place.

Today he was solid. Awesome is a massive exaggeration. He kicked well, he tackled reasonably. He will always be totally devoid of flair though and his kicking from hand is about as effective as Cabbage's sidestep. Ian Humphries came on and showed Burkey how its done in the ten minutes he got.

So, to conclude, credit where its due today. He made Wilko and Flood look dire. But he is still a man I would dearly love to see the back of.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

Well played Burkey, excellent kciking display, coupled witha couple of excellent breaks. The one thing I think he has to work on is his reading of the game and his vision, I mean that as positive criticism!

Otherwise I thought he had a very decent game.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
Tigersfan90
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Paul Burke today...

Post by Tigersfan90 »

sammy wrote:But he is still a man I would dearly love to see the back of.
Your opinion. Can't say he deserves it though after today’s win which he contributed too.
Tigers never give up !
sammy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sammy »

One solid performance kids. By my reckoning thats two overall in a Tigers shirt. As I said before, lets not get carried away.

Ian Humphries is the man. Flair, skill, a wicked turn of pace and when he kicks the ball sweetly it flies. The man could be extra special, Burkey will never be.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

Humphrey's run, chip, and tap back was pure genius. The man has got talent coming out of his ears. I think Burkey has proved himself to be solid back-up.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
Lea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Lea »

Sammy...you were wrong about Alex and you are wrong about Mr Burke.

Why not stand up and admit you were wrong?

I may even give you some respect.
Big Bad John
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Big Bad John »

Burke played a solid game today, exactly what is expected of him. Consistantly found touch, gaining 15-20 meters at a time. Managed to bring down all but two players who ran down his channel, and converted all kicks within 30m of the posts. He even managed to make one 10m break, which although unexpected should really have resulted in a try. We cannot really ask any more than this of Paul Burke. Well done today Burkey!
Get Some Baby!