Welford Road for the 1/4s

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Quarter Finals - Welford Road or not?

Welford Road - where else?
90%
Walkers Stadium
5%
Don't care where as long as I can get a ticket!
4%

Total votes: 73

SPIKE@srufc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SPIKE@srufc »

Thank you Rizzo!
Have voted. I know I'll not get a ticket to WR but it has to be there. However, as has been proven the ground you play in doesn't matter the team you play in does!

Stand by WR though.
SPIKE

It's not the winning or losing but the taking apart which matters.
Lozza
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Lozza »

Welford Rd - couldn't agree more.............. 8)
Lozza

Nothing is Impossible
rangrave

Wlford Road please

Post by rangrave »

Walkers is a football stadium souless and without a rugby atmosphere. Welford Road is a fantastic rugby stadium full of atmosphere that will accomodate all the season ticket holders. I have seen many big games at Welford Road over 30 years and cannot believe we can even consider playing at Walkers Stadium. Some of the "extras" that went to Walkers stadium for the last two European games were clearly occassional supporters just cherry picking the big games. So the only reason for playing at the Walkers is money in my view - don't want to hear stories of catering for more fans - besides the match will be on the TV!
APM16

Post by APM16 »

The 1/4 final has to be at Welford Road it's the least the team deserve. 8)

I'd even plump for an away semi-final draw rather than have to play at the Walkers if we beat Stade.
The support at the semi-finals in Nottingham & Watford was far better (no corporates or flaneurs)than at the Walkers.

That said an away semi-final draw would probably swing it for the 1/4 final to be played at the Walkers when the board meet. :roll: :twisted:

We'll know soon enough.
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

Didnt we previously get knocked out of the HC at Welford road when we lost to Stade Francais ?

The Bath game at walkers stadium was a farce. We were playing against 13 men, we refused 3 points several times to (at a minimum) take the game into extra time, and finally we failed to execute a 6:3 overlap 5 yards from the line.

Toulouse were a great side, but again..tigers were crippled by injuries. Rowntree and Cozza were out and Moody wasnt fit and hobbled off after 20 minutes. Do you recall Darren Morris (i think) failing to excute a 3 man overlap from 5 yards out. We were all over toulouse in the first half.

I need to declare here that i have less than zero chance of getting a ticket for Welford Road, so i am totally biased to play at the Walkers !!!
WilfMan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by WilfMan »

Welford Road holds 16,815 people and is the largest purpose-built club rugby ground in England

The Walkers Stadium holds 32,500 People which is 15,685 more people

I can see why the game has been played at the Walkers stadium but having lost there 2 times there is only one choice Welford Road
-
"Forwards decide who win the game, Backs decide by how much"
-
APM16

Davies welcomes Stradey Park quarter-final

Post by APM16 »

Davies welcomes Stradey Park quarter-final

Scarlets Director of Rugby Phil Davies has welcomed the news that his side will stay at Stradey Park for the Heineken Cup quarter-final showdown against reigning champions Munster...

Chief Executive Stuart Gallacher stated: “Our players and supporters deserve the best possible opportunity of progressing further in the knockout stages and we believe playing at Stradey Park gives us that chance.”
tigermad
Super User
Super User

Post by tigermad »

Leicester Tigers have produced the result of the season in beating Munster at Thomond Park and deserve to play at Welford Road for what will be a cracking game against Stade Francais in the Heineken Cup quarter finals. Atmosphere second to none and a thank you to the team and to the incredible supporters who make Leicester Tigers what it is. Welford Road - Nuff Said.

:lol: :wink:
Last edited by tigermad on Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philip J Gray
Shogun
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Shogun »

Has to be Welford Road.

Are there not signs that say "Welford Road - Home of Leicester Tigers", Did they not sell season tickets on the premise of "Priority Ordering of Home Quarter Final tickets"

So if it is at Walkers Stadium then as far as I'm concerned they have sold season tickets under false pretences.

And as I've said times before. Giving up my ticket to watch the Munster game in a tent to only have other games moved does feel like a kick in the teeth.
SPIKE@srufc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SPIKE@srufc »

92% in favour of WR should be seen as a pretty clear statement.

Just picking up on an earlier point there isn't a cat in hells chance of me getting a ticket either for WR BUT it is the only option. We won the right to have a home quarter final so home it is. The walkers stadium is NOT home.

So I will watch on the box, chew my nails to the knuckle and get told off by the neighbours 3 doors down at the amount of noise generated from my home when we win.
SPIKE

It's not the winning or losing but the taking apart which matters.
stevetelcom2000
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stevetelcom2000 »

Leicester Tigers are unique in the fact that financially they do not need to move their 1/4 final to the W.S. Although the extra money is always handy, they are not facing bankruptsy or anything else like. Llanelli Scarlets however, need to sell their ground to raise money: http://www.saveourscarlets.org/
How ironic that a club desperate for finance have turned down the opportunity of a huge payday. And a club like 'Tigers' are even considering such a move.
Hairy Egg
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Hairy Egg »

I'm not a fan of the Walkers Stadium (having watched us lose there twice before) and firmly believe that Welford Road is the only place to play the game.

However, as I've posted on one of the numerous threads on this subject, am I right in thinking that we have to allocate 25% of the tickets to the opposition for a quarter final? This will leave some season ticket holders without tickets - I'm sure that's one of the reasons it's been moved before.

Can anyone clarify this?
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Hairy Egg wrote:I'm not a fan of the Walkers Stadium (having watched us lose there twice before) and firmly believe that Welford Road is the only place to play the game.

However, as I've posted on one of the numerous threads on this subject, am I right in thinking that we have to allocate 25% of the tickets to the opposition for a quarter final? This will leave some season ticket holders without tickets - I'm sure that's one of the reasons it's been moved before.

Can anyone clarify this?
Yes, we have to allocate 25% to Stade - but as they rarely bring a large travelling contingent, it's highly unlikely they would take it all up.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
stevetelcom2000
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stevetelcom2000 »

Hairy Egg wrote:I'm not a fan of the Walkers Stadium (having watched us lose there twice before) and firmly believe that Welford Road is the only place to play the game.

Can anyone clarify this?
Yes it is 25% as it was for the 1/4 game against Munster previously. It is however very unlikely that Stade will sell their full allocation.
Hairy Egg
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Hairy Egg »

Thanks for that Steve I thought that was the case.

Mind you I think that that quarter final against Munster was another reason for the subsequent games to be moved to the Walkers Stadium.

They tried to squeeze far too many people into Welford Road that day and for us on the terrace and Crumbie stand it was a bit of a nightmare as we were denied access to the clubhouse end (toilets and all) and the Alliance end. This resulted in the largest section of the crowd being served by just the ABC Bar and facilities – a bit of a debacle really.

Like you though, I don’t think that will be a problem with Stade as they will not bring so many fans with them.