Unpopular Pat

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Nabuk
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nabuk »

steadysteve wrote:Just an aside here but coaches are not paid to be popular with the players, it can sometimes get in the way.
I agree, look at Andy Robinson, another Coach who was really popular with the players, had their full support etc. etc.
I RESOLVE TO BE NICER THIS YEAR !
big john
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by big john »

Remember Bob Dwyer not liked very much at all but he did move the club to be more Pro. and started the ball rolling to better things after he left.
Tweentown

Post by Tweentown »

I like many others have been concerned about rotation because I believe selection of a consistent team leads to consistency on the field. Also at times (the Glaws game at WR springs immediately to mind) I've been tearing my hair out at the mass substitutions that have happened in a game. But, I can see this policy is essential - in part because the rules set a maximum no of games for players - but regardless to maintain the fitness of the squad - as well as the fact that competition for places keeps players on their toes.

Now despite all my doubts, I really am beginning to see the benefits of the rotation policy. Tigers performances are I beleive showing real improvement at the right part of the season at a time when other top English teams are on the slide (Wasps, Sale notably). We have the fittest squad in the league. Many of the 'non-elite' players are putting in great performances - and at times better performances than their international counterparts some of whom may well have been operating in their comfort zones at times. We have produced some performances recently that I couldn't have anticipated a few months ago - the away win at Wasps by the 'second team' was a highlight.

We are in better shape now I feel than for the last few seasons - all importantly I see confidence improving - yes, still room for improvement as always - but our chances of silverware are heading in the right direction.
Sherpa2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sherpa2 »

What a great post TweenTown, we should be proud of the depth of the squad and that we have so many young players coming on so well. I have great hopes for some silverware at the end of the season and even if we don't make it, we have been given the pleasure of watching some great rugby.

Our mixture of youth and experience must put us in good stead for the future as well.

I am sorry to see Pat go, he has, as far as I can see, contributed a great deal to the club both as a player and as a coach. I can only wish him all the best in the future.
I used to be indecisive now I just can't make up my mind
Flying Tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Flying Tiger »

Part of Pat's legacy will be our strenghth in depth. He has developed an entire squad, not just a select 15. I can understand why some players might not like being left on the bench at times - that's the nature of an athlete. But it would be a truly selfish player who would put his hard feelings towards the coach ahead of team success when were on the verge of a monumental season. Seems like this is too professional of a club to let that happen.
Don't look back in anger...
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

not only does it keep them fresh, it keeps them hungry for the game...