Defending Andy Goode

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

mightymouse wrote:we hear this all the time -about how he has good games- very very rarely- mostly he is awful - even with England's paucity of flyhalf recources I could think of severel I would pick ahead of him - ie Lamb and Cipriani

For a long time I been guarded about what I have said on here about him - mainly sticking too he is inconsistant and we need a better number 10 - But he cannot be defended - he is a liability and must go - He very nearly cost us a game we should have won easily yesterday, and it happens all too often.

MISSING TOUCH CANNOT BE ACCEPTED ( the irony being he is known as a kicking flyhalf)
so you say he should go, mightymouse, say he does, what then? we have a salary cap, we can't afford to go out and buy someone else - assuming there is someone else who would satisfy the moaners on here and is available and willing to come - the moaning brigade already claim Burke should also go - and yes, Humphreys is playing well, but what if we rely on him and he gets injured?

It's all doom and gloom, this player should go, that player should go, the coaching team should go, the board should go - does anyone actually have concrete sensible suggestions as to what we might do if any or all of those events took place?
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
tigerman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigerman »

I don't think Goode should go, but we need someone who is good enough to challenge him for his place in the starting 15, then i think Goodey will really thrive
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

That's unfair Mightymouse.

I have just watched the game again and Andy did much that was commendable.
Indeed he was unfortunate not to have got a couple of trys.
His vision and quick action that put Varndell in for his try was as good as you will see anywhere in the worl. Great execution.
I too was a bit frustrated seeing him miss touch on that big pitch but I am old enough to remember better players than him have a similar lack of success.

In the end we won and he got most of the points. He put life and limb on the line for our club and gave 100% .
If he came on this forum and read your ungrateful tirade,he would be more than :censored: off, and I for one would not blame him. Get off the lad's back.
He will only get better if encouraged.
A life long Tiger
steadysteve
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by steadysteve »

Did anyone else see Andy Goode in the warm up before the munster game? he was yekking up all over the pitch, and that was when he was on the bench.
I have read somewhere that he suffers sickness before big games, if he is so nervious that he yekks up he needs help dealing with it.
He does seem to be getting worse, on his day he is a brilliant player but big match nerves are undermining his game.
Those people knocking him have very short memories, he has won us more games than he has cost us.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

steadysteve wrote:Did anyone else see Andy Goode in the warm up before the munster game? he was yekking up all over the pitch, and that was when he was on the bench.
I have read somewhere that he suffers sickness before big games, if he is so nervious that he yekks up he needs help dealing with it.
He does seem to be getting worse, on his day he is a brilliant player but big match nerves are undermining his game.
Those people knocking him have very short memories, he has won us more games than he has cost us.
Completely agree Steve.

For all you forwards who are moaning about Goode, please learn about back play first. I would never moan about Kay's mauling skills, because I haven't got a clue. And I think it's the same the other way around sometimes. For example, it's not ALWAYS the best policy to find touch. The last thing a full back wants is Seru and Alex running at him 2 metres from the goal linea metre from touch. If the ball goes directly into touch the defending team get the ball. If it doesn't the full back / winger has to kick it out, therefore the attacking team get the lineout.

Hmmm... I wonder why Goode gets nerves. Hopefully not to do with the pressure that some people here put the guy under.

He had a really good game last week, bossed the first half of the second half, and so very nearly won us the game. Give the guy a flippin break!
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

steadysteve wrote:Did anyone else see Andy Goode in the warm up before the munster game? he was yekking up all over the pitch, and that was when he was on the bench.
Just because you have never played 10, doesn't mean you can't understand or recognise a good / bad 10, I don't know of 1 coach in any team sport who is experienced in every position.

Basically you don't have to be a cordon bleu chef to appreciate good food
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
adamv6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by adamv6 »

Wow.

I love this forum.

Everyone has their own opinion, unfortunately, some of the people on this forum have never played rugby in the whole of their miserable lives.

I personally think that Goodey has more strengths than Charlie Hodgson. Everybody raves about Hodgson being a fantastic attacking fly half blah blah blah. Just because a fly half can play attacking rugby and score trys, doesn't make his the best thing since sliced bread.

Remember Jaco? Fantastic player, loved him to bits. But would you really have wanted him over Goodey on Sunday when your making try line clearances?

Goodey in a superb fly half and the sooner alot of the supporters get to grips with that and embrace and support him the better.

Invariably (sunday exempt) his kicking from hand (attacking and defending) is sublime, his pass is superb, he is virtually impossible to put down and creates a solid platform for our forward to maul on, his tackling is excellent (but not to the suicidal level of JW) and most importantly, his reading of the game is immense. How many times do you see him drop back and receive the ball, only to send it straight back to the opposition with interest.

What we all have to remember is, that Tigers has the best fowards in the northern hemisphere. Thats why 5 are in the England starting lineup against NZ! Thats why there was 7 Tigers forwards in the RWC2003 squad! In my opinion and also the opinion of many Rugby players, pundits and journalists, Andy Goode is amongst the best FH's in the world for getting a pack moving forward.
JGriffin - "The outright winner was the ref who blew himself inside out."
http://incoherenttwaddle.blogspot.com/
Puja

Post by Puja »

I normally have some patience with Andy Goode, but I'm not sure I can forgive him after watching the past two games. He missed vital touches, took the wrong option on several occasions (the double cross-field kick vs Munster?) and repeatedly put up pointless high balls that we never stood a chance of challenging for.

The worst offence was in injury time against Munster, when Leicester had the ball and he kicked an up-and-under. Seriously, what player doesn't know that if you're losing by 2 points in injury time, you keep hold of the ball, rather than toss it away on a 50/50. You keep hold of the ball, work through the phases and look for your chance to score. I wouldn't accept that kind of tactical idiocy at my level of rugby, let alone at the top level.

He needs to shape up, pronto. I'm not a fan of buying foreigners and at the moment, there's no available Englishman to take his place, so we're lacking options, but he's shown some unimpressive facets of his game recently.

Puja
Puja

Post by Puja »

Following on from that, I just had a thought. Anyone else curious to see how Sam Vesty plays at fly-half nowadays. He's got all the skills, it used to be his position and he has shown on his appearances at 12 that he's better suited to handling the pressure nowadays.

Puja
Tigerbob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigerbob »

nursy wrote: i have never seen such a display of missed touch kicks as yesterday's debarcle. or any other time we play on a pitch that is slightly wider than Welford road!
I think you hit the nail squarely on the head, he is OK (some might say very GOODE) at Welford Road, you take him anywhere else with a wider pitch (like TWICKEHAM for instance !! :evil: ) and all of a sudden he is no longer finding touch. I think he needs to do a bit of Geometry homework!
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Puja wrote:Following on from that, I just had a thought. Anyone else curious to see how Sam Vesty plays at fly-half nowadays. He's got all the skills, it used to be his position and he has shown on his appearances at 12 that he's better suited to handling the pressure nowadays.

Puja
Not a bad shout, but we then don't have a kicker, what did work a few years ago was Goode playing at 15 with Jaco at 10, AG was very good (no pun intended) I remember being at Wasps and seeing him score fine tries one from his 22, he seemed more relaxed at 15 when he didn't have the pressure of play maker, but we have several decent 15s and not many 10s.
JB

Post by JB »

Okay, lets's wade into this one!

I can not believe that a player of Andy Goode's quality misses toach by mistake. Just can't. He can kick the ball further than at should be possible........ So, is he missing by mistake or is he missing because that's what the plan is. Perhaps if he booms it back into the other teams half, and then they kick it out we have possesion, or we back our defence to snuff out any attack. Sounds like a daft plan to me but......?

If he is missing then he needs some help. Does Aldred need to pop in every now and again for a session with him. Surley Pat talks him through the plan etc.

As for whether he's good enough to play tigers well of course he is. He's not Jonny, or Charlie, or Dan Carter, or Freddie Michalak, but he's at least as good as the other English fly halfs (Alex King, Ollie Barkley)

Let's give the bloke a chance he Tigers through and through, and lets hope he gets some help if that's what if that the problem.
JB, Stamford
bc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bc »

OK we won and that is great and it does seem churlish to criticise Goode but the fact is the points he had direct impact on (i.e. not pens or conversions) were : For 5, Against 14.

That is hardly the return we expect from a top class fly-half. In addition he missed 2 kickable penalties from memory and, IMO, is in ability to find touch directly caused Tigers to clam up in the 2nd half.

We should be looking for a new fly-half and I said last season that Chris paterson would be target - he is quick, can kick and has played more international games in that poistion than Goode.
Tigerbob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigerbob »

I think Chris Paterson is a good shout.

He is a very accurate place kicker and a very good runner of the ball.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Tigerbob wrote:I think Chris Paterson is a good shout.

He is a very accurate place kicker and a very good runner of the ball.
I don't think he would leave Scotland, unless big James can have a quiet chat with him at the Scotland camp