KarenH and TigerCam are both right ..... enough said :wink:
Lufbratiger

Post by Lufbratiger »

Great for tigers that we are having this debate!! Excellent to see two
class players fighting for a starting spot! Beamand the man in the possesion
and form, we all know that Harry is capable of macthing this and possibly
raising the stakes. Both have differant qualities, Harry is faster
and more impulsive a 'game breaker'. Scotty is more consistent
and his delivery is slightly better IMO. Both have quality defences!
Will be interesting over the season to see who gets the starting shirt
in big matches but Tigers may adapt the selections policy
on the strengths of the opposition. If only we could have this problem
at fly half lol!! 8)
Remember that you are a Tigers fan,and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"
big john
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by big john »

i do like both and if both are fully fit and match sharp harry would win by a good yard every time but then lets not forget franck as he has show real class in the A team and i could see him have a real big push for the no.9 spot
quincy

Post by quincy »

For those of you who think that Peter Richards is the star scrumhalf, unfortunately havent got a clue.
Richards is a centre, moved to scrumhalf. He only stands out (like many others) because he has bright blonde hair.
Scott Bemand is better than Richards, who by the way, is a long way behind Perry of Bristol(Richards, that is)
Cornish Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cornish Tiger »

We are very lucky to have 2 excellent scrum halves. I like Bemand for some aspects of his play, and Harry for others. No one charges down a kick quite as fearlessly as Harry (except Lewis of course - or possibly I'm just imagining that because he has blonde hair!). Scott has a consistent and calm quality I like. Peter Richards is everywhere and at the 7's he seemed like the only player on the field. I think it's less his blonde hair that makes him stand out, more his positive attacking attitude. I would happily have any of the three starting in my 15, but if I had to choose on current form it would be Scott.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

I agree with quincy on this. Richards has a great attitude, but is technically not as good a SH as Bemand. A questionable delivery will get found out at international level; the scrum halves first priority is to get the ball out quickly and accurately.

What Bemand appears to lack is the physical presence and 'nuisance factor' that Richards and Ellis can give.

Based on this measure, you would have to pick Perry. Perry has earned his (England) chance, although I think the jury is still out on his all round game.
banbury tiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by banbury tiger »

apparently perry has been compared to some welsh great !?!?
i haven't seen any of bristol's game's so far but apparently he is meant to be doing brilliantly!
but i will always have the faith in harry ellis think he is a wonderful player and good luck to him to find his form ! :wink:
to be honest any of the people we have mentionmed would be great candidates i think it's other positions we have to worry about
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

banbury tiger wrote:apparently perry has been compared to some welsh great !?!?
Terry Holmes, apparently. Not the obvious comparison; I remember Holmes as a 'hard as nails' SH who seemed to think he was an extra flanker ! Played in the shadow cast by the very great Gareth Edwards.
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Harry is England's No 1 choice at times as scrumhalf and is the one in the England squad, not Scott. That is the view of the England's coaches so I would rather go by that. No offence meant. So in my view in the normal course of events, Harry should be the preferred scrum-half at Tigers.

However, due to injury and therefore building up form, and Pat's current preference for Scott, It looks like Harry's opportunities will be limited for the time being which won't do his confidence for the internationals much good.

Or is it a cunning plan to make sure Harry doesn't play in the Internationals? :wink: :wink:
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

simon redshaw wrote:Harry is England's No 1 choice at times as scrumhalf and is the one in the England squad, not Scott. That is the view of the England's coaches so I would rather go by that.

Or is it a cunning plan to make sure Harry doesn't play in the Internationals? :wink: :wink:
Have you become a believer in OBNSG? !!

IMHO Scott is simply playing better at the moment. However Harry needs serious game time (and a serious need to stop running with the ball accross the pitch for 3 seconds before passing it.. it's simply annoying!!)

I like the last point though ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Pellsey, no I haven't become a beleiver in OBSNG!!

However, I trust their opinion on Harry more.

Scott is playing better because he is fitter and has had more game time and because he is fitter he is more confident. When Harry is on his game, I am sure he is better then Scott. To be honest apart from his try against Bath, I don't think Scott has played as brilliantly as some would suggest on here.

Harry won't get any game time if he is kept on the bench or not even selected!! :roll: :roll: Maybe a solution would be to rotate the two players to give them equal time and then we will know for sure who is actually playing better. When someone has only one half or less to stake their claim then it is not always easy for them to make their mark.

Harru does have the odd fault like what you say and impetous rushing towards players but he is still a very good player and that should be recognised.
Hairy Egg
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Hairy Egg »

I'm a big fan of Ellis and Bemand but would say that if both were at the top of their game Ellis would probably edge it.

However on current form you have to say Bemand is the first choice and rightly so. Ellis needs to prove his fitness and form in the development side before taking his place on the bench for the first team. Give him 20 - 30 minutes and if he looks good, the fight is on.

You can't just blindly pick a player because he's in the current England set up - that's not good for the player, England, or Tigers - you need to have competition in every position. I think this is where England have been going wrong but that's another story.

I trust the judgement of the coaches who see the players week in week out much more than I do the England selectors, afterall they seem to believe that Iain Balshaw is the best fullback in the country - how wrong can you be!!

Anyway it's great to be able to debate how good both our SH's are and long may it continue.
Mat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mat »

For me Bemand 1st choice by miles even against a fit Ellis.

Harry just does not have the pass or the ability to read and control a game or boss the forwards. He really struggles when the Leicester forwards are not dominating which sadly means against the very best Harry ends up fumbling at the base or rucks etc.

I do think Ellis is probably quicker and a harder tackler and more aggressive. He is wonderfully brave and can make excellent breaks but sadly his core skills of passing and bossin the game are just not as good as Scotts.

A fit harry will make an excellent impact player with his pace. I would also like to se him switch positions.
vinniechan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vinniechan »

I have yet to watch Bemand play but one thing I dont like about Ellis is that he's far too hesitant for a scrum half (true for Leicester and England)
Still, in 6 nations, he made the most clean breaks and that's one things he's very good at and build on :P
pacman

Post by pacman »

anything_but_ordinary wrote:that was harry's first start of the season god what has this guy gotta do become hercules or something????

he had an injury :censored: hell u lot really get on my nerves now god i would like to see u get out there and do it yourself
Your right it was Harry's first game back. But look back to last season and you will see Bemand was and is consistently faster at the back of the Scrum, which is what we need to get quick ball, Bemand is a lot faster and also more physical.

Being one-eyed gets on my nerves, and for your info i used to get out there and do it but never got paid for it.

JAK