Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

sounds like an excellent suggestion
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

I wonder if Goode was dropped because of form. Just been reading on the BBC Sports website and they had an article about England and they say there are an awful lot of players from the elite and academy squads who are carrying injuries. They named Andy Goode as one of those players and said his was a knee injury.

Could be why he didn't play on Saturday.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Another "Goode" thread having a go at him.....as part of PH's rotation system, Burke came in against Quins and Goode will be back for Newport on Saturday......lets get one thing straight, Goode is our first-choice Fly half, he is one of the best place kickers in the league and although he doesn't make Hodgson-esque breaks, is pretty solid in defence and has decision making is generally good (no pun intended) --- he has had poor games, his miss pass has been picked off occasionally but on the whole, he has won us a few games with his kicking.....ok, he's not Carter or Wilkinson in his prime, but who do we suggest that we bring in to replace him ? Apart from Carter and Hodgson, I can't think of anyone...
fierysam

Post by fierysam »

Thank you Westwinds!! At last another person who is sick of the 'let's have another go at Goode' threads.

I went to the pre season review with Howard and Cockers, and they were asked the very question of 'What are you proposing to do about our fly half situation?'...... Howards response was, if you can name me the top five fly halves in the country without naming Goode....... which nobody could. There was also the point about looking outside the UK - Pat then pointed out that Andy is up there with the best of them, and looking at who's available v who actually wants to move clubs.....

Why oh Why can't people just leave the guy alone?? :? He's got the thumbs up from Pat and Cockers. And that's all that matters. And he is the best fly half we have.

Personally I'm fed up with the fly-by-night Goode fans, who rave about him when he wins a game for us, and slam him when he has a bad game. I can think of a few other players in the squad who are equally inconsistant who do not receive the constant bleating from the forum members!!
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

westwinds31 wrote:Another "Goode" thread having a go at him.....as part of PH's rotation system, Burke came in against Quins and Goode will be back for Newport on Saturday......lets get one thing straight, Goode is our first-choice Fly half, he is one of the best place kickers in the league and although he doesn't make Hodgson-esque breaks, is pretty solid in defence and has decision making is generally good (no pun intended) --- he has had poor games, his miss pass has been picked off occasionally but on the whole, he has won us a few games with his kicking.....ok, he's not Carter or Wilkinson in his prime, but who do we suggest that we bring in to replace him ? Apart from Carter and Hodgson, I can't think of anyone...
Great posts, westwinds and fierysam. I'm also sick of this anti-goodeness here. All of the suggestions for replacements are, IMHO, somewhat crazy. As is said above, he is one of the best placekickers in the league and is consistantly one of the highest points scorers. He also definately has the strongest boot, which kinda helps for clearance kicks etc. If people want to watch a flashy fly half, watch the saints. Goode at least, doesn't make so many silly mistakes in the name of "flashy".
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

g wrote:I wonder if Goode was dropped because of form. Just been reading on the BBC Sports website and they had an article about England and they say there are an awful lot of players from the elite and academy squads who are carrying injuries. They named Andy Goode as one of those players and said his was a knee injury.

Cheers for that G. I'm sure you're right ;)
Chris Lunson
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Chris Lunson »

Pellsey wrote:
g wrote:I wonder if Goode was dropped because of form. Just been reading on the BBC Sports website and they had an article about England and they say there are an awful lot of players from the elite and academy squads who are carrying injuries. They named Andy Goode as one of those players and said his was a knee injury.

Cheers for that G. I'm sure you're right ;)
I believe that Goode has just had a bad start to the season and come November he will be back to his best. We should just stick with him!
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Goode

Post by mike »

In my eyes ( and many , many more ) Goode has been poor/average for 2 seasons and in the key games last year he was absolutely dreadful . His place kicking stats are only just better than the average and the other limitations in his game have destroyed our back play . Sadly Burke looks no better and surely it is time to give Humpheys a chance - he needs a run of games without fear of being axed and the coming cup games against Newport and wuss seem ideal .
Tigerbob
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigerbob »

I agree Mike, I think Ian Humphries deserves a chance in the next two games to play a full 80 minutes and see how he goes.

I too am not overly convinced about Paul Burke after his kicking display against Quins. I also think we could have beaten Gloucester had Andy Goode been in the pocket for the late drop-goal attempt instead of Burke.

That said I still don't think we should get on Andy Goode's back too much. Everyone is entitled to a sticky patch now and then.
k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by k1 »

I agree, everyone's entitled to a bad patch, but Goode's been having one carried over from last season! There is an argument that he scores a lot of points - he :censored: should! He's playing for Leicester Tigers for crying out loud!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

OK, lets do the Premiership test to see who we would have to replace Goode...

Bath - Shane Drahm....no way
Saracens - Jackson ...nope
Wasps - Walder !!!
Bristol - Strange...no again
Glaws - Mercier - ha ha
Saints - Spencer ...hmmm
Newcastle - Flood - no
Irish - Everitt - no again
Quins - Jarvis - no way
Worcester - Draham ...no thanks
Sale - Hodgson - maybe

...so there you have it ladies and gentlemen....Charlie Hodgson would be a good buy for Tigers and is the number 1 fly-half in English rugby....but Goodey, if compared to the above, is the second best, hence his position as Englands Number 2.

Unless we can Get Carter (pardon the pun), we should be happy with what we have got.
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Shane Drahms a busy little bee. Playing for Bath and Worcester. :roll:
k1
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by k1 »

Well spotted g! Assume westwinds means shaun berne for bath.

This list, however, is, IMO, ridiculous. You honestly would want Goode ahead of Spencer (genius rugby player), Strange (most successful kicker last season) and you only say maybe to Hodgson!! Also, you would rather have Goode than Shane Drahm?!
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

And if you include the Magners there is also the likes of Jones, Humphreys, Contepomi, O'Gara ........
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I have to agree with mike also

Does any know a good site to get kicking stats from

It usually shows dear old Goody up well it the points tally but with a low percentage record

What do we understand from this?

Tigers have a good set of forwards who create pressure on other teams -not always capitalised on - Draw your own conclusions