Books

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

WilfMan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Books

Post by WilfMan »

can anyone recommend any good rugby autobiographys

i have got jonny wilks, lewis moody, backy, jonno and healys
-
"Forwards decide who win the game, Backs decide by how much"
-
boondock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boondock »

jason robinsons is not a bad read - though the early years are a bit dickensian its good to see how he put this behind him and made a success of himself.
orla - mumha abú!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by orla - mumha abú! »

i really enjoyed willie john mcbrides book, but wouldnt recommend brian o driscolls. i thought it was awful.
to the brave and faithful nothing is impossible

European Champions 2006!
boondock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boondock »

oops - i forgot mcbrides book, but would agree - its a good read. cant comment on bods - i havent read it
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I wasn't keen on Robinson's book, it largely read like a recruitment campaign for Christianity. He glosses over a lot of his wilder days too, and too much of the book comes over as really preachy, which I'm not keen on.
I haven't read it, but I understand a good read to be Jonah Lomu's autobiography. It will be a great story of battling back though in any case.
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

I'm not a big person on autobiographys unless the person has done soemthing absolutely amazing. Martin Johnson for example, i've read his because of all his achivements.

Kevin Pieterson has just bought one out, how rediculous, how old is he.....? he has a load more time of playing in him, its a bit premature to bring it out now i mean does this mean thats it hes going to stop trying?
great service....great idea (cheers Mr Branson)
(Keeno n' Sim Group)
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Not an autobiography, but 'The Art of Course Rugby' by Michael Green, if its still in print, is very funny. Mike Burton's 'Tight Heads, Loose Balls' is also a good laugh.

Don't forget that Peter Wheeler also wrote his autobiography .... although (like many sporting biogs) it was a bit dry, IMO.
100%rugbygirl
Super User
Super User

Post by 100%rugbygirl »

jason leonards?? thought it was ok myself
Hans Hullabaloo

Post by Hans Hullabaloo »

Will greenwoods, funny,clever, sad and interesting.
"Everything You Know is Wrong"
orla - mumha abú!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by orla - mumha abú! »

thanks for reminding me iain.... my sister stole jonah lomu's book off me. must get that back!

i thought it was brilliant. really interesting with the illness aspect to it. and also quite amusing at times. i would really recommend that one.
to the brave and faithful nothing is impossible

European Champions 2006!
Cornish Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cornish Tiger »

Austin's bringing out a new one in November, called Me and My Mouth! I've ordered one..
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I guess that what you have ordered Cornish Tiger is a reissue of his original autobiography of the same name which was actually released about 5 years ago. Very entertaining read though!
Cornish Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cornish Tiger »

Really? Weird that amazon are saying it's not yet published. Also in their blurb they say about him retiring etc. Thanks Iain, I guess they are just launching the paperback version and trying to disguise the fact it's old. I've already read it then. Drat.

Blurb says.. "Now with a new career as a BBC TV presenter ahead of him, Austin's sure to stay in the public eye...and this book will ensure he keeps on ruffling feathers."
Tigersfan90
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigersfan90 »

Saw the same on play.com! Seems like it might have been through some changes then. The new bits should be interesting. :D
Guinness Premiership Champions & Heineken Cup Finalists 2009
Tigers never give up !
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

My guess then is that he has added new chapters to the end to bring it up to date in that case then. The original definitely had the same title though.