Help for a few Munster fans heading your way!!!!!!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

stevetelcom2000
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stevetelcom2000 »

lorraine pj wrote:
stevetelcom2000 wrote:Popped into Leicester City Centre Saturday night with a young lady to try out a few pubs. . ...Went into the Globe, thats a cool place. Spit & sawdust type.

I agree with The Globe being a cool place, but i wouldn't call it 'spit and sawdust'. It is about the only traditional english pub you will find in the city centre, not like these more modern bars that wouldn't look out of place in a sci-fi movie!!...and it usually has more rugby fans than football fans in as well.
Only 1 Rugby fan in there Saturday night...Me. great pub though all the same.
stevetelcom2000
Gold Member
Gold Member

Kirstyf wrote:I'm a born and bred Leicestershirian and now live in Wigston (about 3 miles out) and I wouldn't venture out to Blaby either!

Can definitely recommend the Swan and Rushes - always full of Tigers fans after the games and I've also seen it absolutely heaving with Munster fans. That was a great night! They always have a few decent local beers on as well, if you're into that sort of thing.
I am not suggesting that people do venture out to Blaby. There are enough Munster fans stopping in & around Blaby that weekend, it will be full anyway. The Swan & Rushes is an OK pub. I remember it when Mick Walsh had it. Before its real Ale days. It will be full before the game but not after. The pubs were empty around the ground very quickly after the game yesterday. Sundays have that effect. The only bar near the ground that will definately have the game on is the Fbar. The rest dont have Sky & the Gateway won't know till the day. If the game clashes with the ManU V Liverpool game it is unlikely. None of the rest have Sky. That will be a factor as there will be 100's over without tickets, and will need to watch the game somewhere.
jimmyb

Post by jimmyb »

Many of you have slated O'Neill's but they always show the Rugby over Football, they have 2 big screens to view games on. The manager is a big Tigers fan and now even has a signed shirt behind the bar. I know the pub is planning on having 3 days of live music over the weekend and is opening for breakfast at 10am on the sunday. You will also feel very safe in this pub, My wife and I drink there all the time.
    Jimmy B
    stevetelcom2000
    Gold Member
    Gold Member

jimmyb wrote:Many of you have slated O'Neill's but they always show the Rugby over Football, they have 2 big screens to view games on. The manager is a big Tigers fan and now even has a signed shirt behind the bar. I know the pub is planning on having 3 days of live music over the weekend and is opening for breakfast at 10am on the sunday. You will also feel very safe in this pub, My wife and I drink there all the time.
      Stopped me going in on Saturday night with a Munster shirt on. Sober & with a female as well. Got in eventually, but it wasnt very reassuring. They had the soccer on the big screen, but couldnt hear it as it the disco kicked in :roll: Put me off, before I'd even bought a pint of Guinness which was very expensive & sent back badly poured. I asked for the gaffer & was told he was unavailable. I'm sure on the weekend of the game it will be packed though. Cant afford to turn away the ammount of custom that will hit town.
      boondock
      Gold Member
      Gold Member

Post by boondock »

this thread is making me nostalgic for my two years drinking in leicester - o'neills was ok then , though i also preferred the globe. bruxelles was good on a night out, the continental beers it did then were not too common at the time.

is weavers still there?

i also liked the new road inn, and the marquis on the london road. before someone says they are bit studenty i was student at the time!
      stevetelcom2000
      Gold Member
      Gold Member

O'Neills is one of the better pubs. Thats why I was so dissapointed with it. It is very different to the Globe in atmos. But it would attract the same sort of age group. I heard last night at W.R. that a Walkabout is opening where Jongleurs is now. That will be a shot in the arm for the City Centre if its true. Has anyone else heard anything.
      stevetelcom2000
      Gold Member
      Gold Member

Update from my Last post: email from Walkabout: We are planning on rebranding the Bar-Risa site in Granby Street as a Walkabout. Work is currently taking place and it is hoped the venue will open 28th September. Jongleurs will continue to operate throughout the refurbishment.....Thats good news, will be open in time for the weekend of the game. Good position as well
      Osprey in Leicester
      Gold Member
      Gold Member

Post by Osprey in Leicester »

We always end up in the Donkey on Welford Road when we go to watch the rugby, its always packed with rugby supporters and not far to walk either.
      jimmyb

Post by jimmyb »

stevetelcom2000 - I will raise your issue with the gaffer at O'Neill's, I was in on Sat night and footie was on but with no sound from the start! they did have a new female doorstaff on this weekend - was this the one that gave you grief?
      Can't wait for HC weekend it was a cracker last time Munster came over
      Jimmy B
      stevetelcom2000
      Gold Member
      Gold Member

jimmyb wrote:stevetelcom2000 - I will raise your issue with the gaffer at O'Neill's, I was in on Sat night and footie was on but with no sound from the start! they did have a new female doorstaff on this weekend - was this the one that gave you grief?
      Can't wait for HC weekend it was a cracker last time Munster came over
      Was'nt really grief. I would of moved on altogether if it had been. I noticed her standing with the guy on the door. I wasnt too bothered about being stopped at door, I can live with that. I'm sure on the weekend of the game there will be no hastle getting in in a red rugby shirt. What i did mind was the sloppy way the Guinness was served. And the appauling disco music. With that drunk dancing on his own in the middle of the dancefloor. :lol: Unusual for O'Neills that it must be said.
      the don

Post by the don »

I was in O'Neills two years ago and on the saturday night they had a promo of one free pint of Guiness with a main course,followed by a band called the sisters of murphy who blew the place apart.Great night had by all.Only one complaint,they ran out of Guiness. :(
      orla - mumha abú!
      Gold Member
      Gold Member

Post by orla - mumha abú! »

drank them dry did ye? lol. i love it. hate it when it happens though. its very depressing.
      to the brave and faithful nothing is impossible

European Champions 2006!
      the don

Post by the don »

orla - mumha abú! wrote:drank them dry did ye? lol. i love it. hate it when it happens though. its very depressing.

I'm ashamed to say we drank the hotel dry as well :oops:
      orla - mumha abú!
      Gold Member
      Gold Member

Post by orla - mumha abú! »

all in a good night for a munster fan!! im sure its happened to most people at some stage!
      to the brave and faithful nothing is impossible

European Champions 2006!
      outwide

Post by outwide »

I can give them a lesson on pulling guinness that weekend if they like 8)
      I guess its O Neills so for the weekend.
      As it has an Irish name I presume it is a rip off for the drink there :cry:
      Neil Back you are now forgiven...................