Most Original Films ?

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Most Original Films ?

Post by dailywaffle »

We've done the 'best', 'favourite' etc., but I'd like to hear any recommendations for 'original' movies. Not necessarily 'best evers', but ones that are worth a look.

To start off, I see Film4 have been showing 'Being John Malkovich'. The basic plot is so bizarre (see below), but is played so brilliantly and I found the predicament of JM quite moving. Definitely worth a view if you like something a bit different.

Any others, or comments on the above ?

John Cusack plays a loser, married to a very strange Cameron Diaz, with an even stranger boss and with an obession for the mysterious Maxine. All of their lives change when he discovers a way to get, literally, inside John Malkovich's mind.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Cul-de-sac.

A Roman Polanski film starring Donald Pleasence and a beautiful Francoise Dorleac as an odd couple living alone on Holy Island.

Two gangsters, wounded, desparate, and on the run, arrive to disrupt their isolation.

A well weird film.

It's donkey's years since I last saw it but some of the moments are so vivid I can still remember them.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Cornish Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cornish Tiger »

I guess Blair Witch has to be in the list.

I once saw an amazing film at the Tate. It was a light switch projected on to the wall, where you'd expect a light switch to be. That was it. I just thought that was so clever in a mind bending way. It's not actually a light switch, but it is a " light" switch. I could stand there all day and watch people puzzle it out. Brilliant.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Hi CT

I enjoyed Blair Witch as a one-off. I don't think it merits a repeat view (not surprisingly, I was nowhere near as 'involved' on second viewing), but no doubting the ingenious concept and initial pre-release 'hype'.

Talking of horror/suspense films, one of the most original ideas was the Japanese 'Ringu', later re-made as 'The Ring'. I didn't rate the re-make, but the Japanese version had me absolutely transfixed.

And, of course, it has one of the greatest ever, and most original scenes you could wish for in a horror flick.

'The scene', when Sadako finally reveals herself, has to be one of the scariest moments in cinema history. No way was I watching TV alone in bed after that !
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Listening to Mark & Lard on radio 1, the topic was, is Blair Witch all that scary?

Lard held the view that is was the scariest film he'd ever seen, whilst Mark Radcliffe thought it was about as frightening as an episode on Pingu.

Listeners were invited to text in their views.

One text said: "When you say that Blair Witch is about as scary as an episode of Pingu, was that the one where all the chickens got out?"

I nearly crashed me car. :lol:
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

....that was a scary Pingu episode though to be fair....and remember the one where the seal steals Pingu's sledge ? Absolute nightmare !!

...regarding Blair Witch, I think it all depends on where you saw it and in what situation, I saw it on a ship at 1 am with 2 other people in a really dark room. Scared the living daylights out of me !! :wink:
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

La Grande Bouffe. Bunch of blokes decide to eat themselves to death over a weekend. In French. Lots of top fart and vom gags, exploding toilets, the works. Bit too much existential philosophy to be entirely classic, though.
boondock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by boondock »

stylistically i think sin city has to be pretty original - shot to look so much like its comic book source material. its certain ly more loyal to it roots than most comic book films.

even if you dont agree with me anything with a topless carla gugino and tabledancing jessica alba cant be all bad. :oops:
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

boondock wrote:
even if you dont agree with me anything with a topless carla gugino and tabledancing jessica alba cant be all bad. :oops:
Good shout!

Moving on though, I notice Bugsy Malone was shown on TV again at the weekend.

Old hat now, of course, but at the time it was conceived, everyone thought: "What the heck is that all about?"
Keeno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Keeno »

sin city isa legend of a film and blair wtich is not scary in the slightest!anchorman is quite original in comedy terms but film i love is Bullit with steve Mc Queen nt sure if its original
Shoved out! I'll work my way back up Karen n Sim!!