BOYCOTT HEINZ!!

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Sim
Super User
Super User

BOYCOTT HEINZ!!

Post by Sim »

Ok, you may or may not have heard that the HP factory that makes the "Famous British Sauce, HP sasuce" is being closed and that British sauce ig going to be made in........ Holland, so traditional hey.

So i for one will no longer be buying it and will boycott heinz products, its discusting that they would move something so British abroad, its terrbile and unneccasary (sorry never been able to spell that word)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west ... 279896.stm
great service....great idea (cheers Mr Branson)
(Keeno n' Sim Group)
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Oh get over it, its still the same sauce!
redtiger
Super User
Super User

Post by redtiger »

they're making it in holland?? oooh is it gonna be "wacky " sauce now?? :lol: they could do promotions with free laughing cakes!! 8)
Forgot the resty - vesty is the besty!
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Sim, it isn't good news. But what is actually made here now? Very little!

I wouldn't go so far as to boycott their products - although I don't often have HP sauce anyway as I like things as they are.

It isn't just Britain where there is this problem. Take a look at the San Miguel beer for instance. Did you know, that it isn't even brewed in Spain! It is actually brewed here although it is a Spanish beer (alledgely)

So that's the other side of the coin!
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

really don't care where they make it as long as it tastes the same! I buy locally produced/grown fruit & veg, British organic meat & eggs (for the family cos I'm vegetarian) and if you read the labels in supermarket produce, lots of them are imported. Many of the so-called British iconic cars are no longer produced here, or the companies are owned by foreign companies.

There's little point in boycotting such things in my opinion.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I agree that it's not Heinz's fault. They're just following an unstoppable trend.

Or can we stop it?

I would like to see grants, tax breaks etc for companies that actually want to make something, or else we'll all end up in retail, logistics and financial services.

I quite like the idea of Britain being able to make a ship, dig some coal, run an iron & steel works. It may not be as economical NOW to do it ourselves but in the long term we may regret our inability to operate within our own economy.

We are already starting to regret being dependant on some fairly unstable countries for oil, especially as many of these countries don't like the UK all that much.

Pretty soon we'll be dependent on other countries for almost everything.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

to quote a line from a folk song of the late 70s "will the last company to leave old England please turn out the lights..."

Sad, but true, what you say Kinny. But in my opinion the rot set in decades ago and many of our industries will never recover.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

Simon you're right, it is an all too familier trend but thge thing that annoys me is that its a British sauce and it has the houses of Parliemtn on the front but there will it be made. It just frustrates me. Another thing that frustrates me is when you phone national rail enquiries (or another bristish company) and you're speaking to Mrs Patel is Dehli, WHY???? i'm phoining about a train in the UK and speaking to someones whose English is very limited (granted some of the operators do speak good english).

The beer thing.... I don't know about San Miguel, but as im sure we all know Fosters, Castlemaine XXXX both brewed in the UK. Why?? Because it is targeted at us, and they use the Australia as an advertising ploy, my brither went to Aus fro three months and said he saw no Fosters at all and only a few tinnys of XXXX. I can assure you he spent plenty of time in plenty of bars, so it may be the same thing with San Muthingymijig, they probably don't driunk it much in Spain. Yes XXXX and Fosters are made in Aus but not that much, its all targetted at us here.
great service....great idea (cheers Mr Branson)
(Keeno n' Sim Group)
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Wherever it's made, HP sauce on bacon butties, or even a 'Full English', will always be quintessentially British. Yum Yum.
wellbutthatcouldbe

Post by wellbutthatcouldbe »

So i for one will no longer be buying it and will boycott heinz products
They said on Midlands Today last night that you shouldn't boycott all Heinz products - especially their soups for example, as they are made in Wigan. The advice from the unions is to just boycott HP sauce.
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

Boycotting HP sauce will help very little in the fight to "keep it British". If they can't justify keeping production in the UK at the moment, how will driving down demand for it help? Trying to hold a company as big as Heinz to ransom is like trying to stop a lorry with a piece of blu-tac!

Don't forget that Heinz are a US company and that HP Foods stopped being British long before Heinz even bought them! Heinz acquired HP in 2005 from French company Danone after Danone bought HP from Hanson plc in 1998.

Therefore, it actually stopped being a British Brand in the late 1990s. Just because it has a picture of the Houses of Parliament on the bottle, doesn't make it "special" or any more British than without it does it?

Now if they changed the recipe of it I could understand a boycott, but because they move production overseas...... No, I won't stop buying it for that reason. It's just a sauce for heavens sake!

The 125 jobs that will be lost is obviously a bad thing but the same number of jobs are probably lost EVERY week in this country due to production being moved overseas, yet you only ever hear about it when the media feel there is a bandwagon waiting to be jumped upon.

It always makes me laugh when newspapers like the Sun launch "Keep it British" campaigns, even though it stopped being British itself when IPC-Mirror Group sold it to the Australian tycoon Rupert Murdoch in 1969!
BG01

Post by BG01 »

Id I am not very much mistaken Dolmio is made in Germany
Never believe generalisations
IsraeliTiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IsraeliTiger »

Kinoulton wrote:Serious post
Now, admittedly I'm tired, very much so..... but did Kinoulton just make a serious post? Or was it a really bad dream?
Kinoulton wrote:Surely that's much more in depth than your average corporate box punter can tolerate. How about "If the entire crowd shut up, you shut up. Otherwise we'll close your bar."
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

IsraeliTiger wrote:
Kinoulton wrote:Serious post
Now, admittedly I'm tired, very much so..... but did Kinoulton just make a serious post? Or was it a really bad dream?
You besmirch me young sire!

I've had many a ding-dong with Sammy on such weighty matters as Iraq, Iran, Israel and have a healthy dialogue with CT over my "control" of horses and her murderous intent towards cute fluffy bunnies.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
mrsmoody
Super User
Super User

Re: BOYCOTT HEINZ!!

Post by mrsmoody »

Sim wrote: unneccasary (sorry never been able to spell that word)
hey sim, its unnecessary... want to know my very easy method of remembering it? :D (dont laugh though i was taught it at primary school and was subsequently named the human dictionary on my table :roll: !)

it is... (un) never eat cakes eat squashy sandwiches and remain young!

havent actually tested out this theory but oh well :roll: :lol:

as for hp... its appalling :roll:
Kellogs frosties, brings out the tiger in you!

http://Hannah-Fantastic.bebo.com