Sports Personality of the Year 2006

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Sports Personality of the Year 2006

Post by dailywaffle »

Ok, in what is so far a thin year, who should win ?

Andy Murray, who has yet to develop a public personality (and I don't think has actually won much yet) will most probably win..... if he does well in the US Open. Don't get me wrong, he has the potential to be world class; but I don't think he is there yet.

Still a long way to go to December, but so far this year I would favour a cricketer (Strauss or Pieterson ?) or someone like Ricky Hatton. The problem for Ricky is that boxing has always been morally ambiguous and has pretty much vanished off the sporting radar.

I suppose a golfer could win if he leads us to Ryder Cup glory in Ireland, but it looks like footie and athletics are (IMO) out of the running.

Any early thoughts ?
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Can't see Zidane winning the Overseas personality of the year !!.....its been a poor year for British sport....no cricketers, footballers or rugby players have come through....Andy Murray has done well but has only just got going really.....maybe Button will get the nod having got his first win under his belt ?
Keeno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Keeno »

i think one win is not enough to win personality of the year if so we should be worried
Shoved out! I'll work my way back up Karen n Sim!!
Hairy Egg
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Hairy Egg »

David Walliams for swimming the channel gets my vote but who am I?

In fact who AM I ? Been registered here for yonks and posted nothing recently...
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Hi HG

Walliams may well win 'celebrity swimmer of the year' (!), but if he wins the Award then it says more about the lack of any other candidates than it does about his (undoubtedly impressive) 'one off'.

And welcome / welcome back to the forum !
scouse tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by scouse tiger »

I guess Darren Campbell will be in the running for it, and Monty Panesaar (for his enthusiasm).

Overseas personality I would give to Darryl Hair :wink: for saving Engaland from a whooping in the fourth test.
My Wild Oats Have turned to Shredded Wheat
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

i think that Daryl Hair will be 'parting' company with the cricket authorities and they will be 'combing' the world for a new umpire....which would 'gel' the Pakistanis together for the one-day internationals....

....I'm here 'til Friday !! :wink:
mrsmoody
Super User
Super User

Post by mrsmoody »

really westwinds :roll: i think you'd better leave now til your stay becomes unwanted :D :lol:
Kellogs frosties, brings out the tiger in you!

http://Hannah-Fantastic.bebo.com
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Overseas personality ... surely Tiger Woods ? Back to back majors after losing his father, and moving into 2nd all time (behind Jack Nicklaus) on the career major list.

How could anyone else come close ?
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

Overseas....... i rekon........... someone who isn't from England, infact i'll put money on it im that sure!!! :wink:
Osprey in Leicester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Osprey in Leicester »

It can only be Gavin Henson..........Surely :wink:
Jess
Super User
Super User

Post by Jess »

i suppose sports personality is british isn't it? so scots and welsh people are included. if you think about that then maybe someone like jason white should win it who has been inspirational for scotland and sale in their good seasons this year. of course this would never happen, but hey you can dream. and how about sale for team of the year as well? i would say munster, but i guess they count as overseas. actually i think saints should win it because since january the 1st they have undoubtedly been the best premiership rugby side...
Donncha O'Callaghan and Bruce Reihana are the best players that ever lived. Don't even bother to argue with me.

And - however good Imanol Harinordoquy is, he is still an idiot
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I think one day Zara Phillips will win it, following in the footsteps of her mum. A bit early in her career yet, but maybe in an Olympic year she'll do it.

And if you're thinking of saying "Oh, yeah well she can afford the best horses." Don't.

You'll only show your ignorance.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Tom_Naz the Tiger

Post by Tom_Naz the Tiger »

I dont think Murray will win it; maybe the Young Sports Personality.

However i dont think his commetns went down too well during the World Cup when he said he'd support 'anyone that England were playing' It certainly didnt go down too well with me anyway.

I cant understand 'the hate the English' mentality - I (and im sure many others) support the Home Nations when England are not involved, but unfortunately that doesnt seem to be the case with everyone.

There are separate Sports Personality Awards in Scotland and Wales, so he might win one of those.

My moneys on Owen Hargreaves for being the most British since Greg Rusedski :shock:

Honestly dont have a clue, its going to be a tough one this year, and not in a good way
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

It's most likely that the Ryder Cup will throw up the British winner.

Unless we get totally stuffed by the Yanks.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!