TEFLON GOES FOR ARCH-ENEMIES REUNITED FOR HIS BENEFIT BASH!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rubymint

TEFLON GOES FOR ARCH-ENEMIES REUNITED FOR HIS BENEFIT BASH!

Post by Rubymint »

Leicester Tigers legends Martin Johnson, Neil Back, Dean Richards and Rory Underwood are to play again at Welford Road.

And the famous ABC Club of Graham Rowntree, Richard Cockerill and Darren Garforth will be back in action too.

They are to be reunited with the 1996 Pilkington Cup Final team that lost 16-15 to Bath - a game that earned Back a six-month ban for pushing referee Chris Lander on the whistle.

The full Tigers and Bath teams from that day will turn out in a Legends match as part of Leon Lloyd's testimonial year. It will take place on the weekend of the Tigers-Bath Guinness Premiership clash on March 17-18.

"It's exciting," said Lloyd. "It's the original cast of 1996 and promises to be a great day.

"It's Matt Perry's testimonial, too, and he has got the 1996 Bath team together.

"We're going to make it a weekend for the supporters too, with a dinner on the evening of the match. If Sky decided it would be their game for the weekend and switched it to the Sunday, then we would play the veterans' game on the Saturday.

"If the Premiership game is on the Saturday, we would play the veterans' game on the Sunday.

"We wanted to do something different for my testimonial, and I reckon this is ideal.

"Johnno's going to play, so is Backy, and Deano will be back at Welford Road alongside Rory. And I'm getting shirts with the letters on as opposed to numbers. And just think, it will be Andy Robinson against Wellsy. What a thought!"

The teams on that day in May 1996 were:

TIGERS: J Liley; S Hackney, S Potter, R Robinson, R Underwood; N Malone, A Kardooni; G Rowntree, R Cockerill, D Garforth, M Johnson, M Poole, J Wells, N Back, D Richards (capt).

BATH: J Callard; J Sleightholme, P de Glanville (capt), A Adebayo, A Lumsden; M Catt, A Nicol; D Hilton, G Dawe, J Mallett, M Haag, N Redman, S Ojomoh, A Robinson, E Peters.
Rubymint

Post by Rubymint »

The match will be on Saturday 17th or Sunday 18th of March

(Whichever day we are not playing bath in the Premiership)
Tigersfan90
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigersfan90 »

What a great match for Leons testimonial! :D Hope Backy keeps out of any trouble.
Guinness Premiership Champions & Heineken Cup Finalists 2009
Tigers never give up !
Jess
Super User
Super User

Post by Jess »

Looks like a great match! could be fun....

shame it won't be at the rec, as i might have been able to go and watch it if it was.
Donncha O'Callaghan and Bruce Reihana are the best players that ever lived. Don't even bother to argue with me.

And - however good Imanol Harinordoquy is, he is still an idiot
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

May I ask why you title this thread "Teflon" please? If it implies what I think it does, then I find it unnecessary to use the term and would hope the OP might think again and edit it. The players do read this board you know.

As for the Legends game, I think it will be a jolly good piece of entertainment, and lovely to see some old familiar faces back at Welford Road.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Jess
Super User
Super User

Post by Jess »

I did not understand the reference to Teflon either as i did not know what it was. Now i do, and if it is referring to what i think it is, i totally agree with Rizzo.
Donncha O'Callaghan and Bruce Reihana are the best players that ever lived. Don't even bother to argue with me.

simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

I don't like the Teflon reference either. I think its unfair on Leon who has not only been a very loyal (despite the boo-person treatment of him by some) and good servant to Tigers, but I think is one of the nicest people (not met him but from what I read) you can come across. So very unfortunate and unfair on Leon.

Incidentally, not all related to this but came across a letter, whilst sorting the packets at Tonbridge RM the other day, addressed for Lloyd Lyon in Market Harborough. I wondered if they had mispelt his name and put it the wrong way round and it might be his address? You never know! Does Leon live that way?

Some of our customers do make more then the odd mistake when addressing the letters! Some also put the stamp/s in the wrong place! :wink:
gman

Post by gman »

I never thought the “Teflon” name to be derogatory, more a play on ‘Leon’ implying (sarcastically perhaps) that he’s difficult to get hold of, Teflon coated, slippery, like Tom ‘the eel’ Voyce! Am I being naïve? Is anyone else confused at the outrage? :o
DTM
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by DTM »

I really must read things more carefully.......I thought Teflon was refering to Andy Robinson.....that would have been quite justified me thinks!!!!!!
tigerman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigerman »

Leon got called teflon by a few supporters a couple of seasons ago as he kept dropping the ball, so they all thought his hands were coated in teflon, ie nothing sticks
Jess
Super User
Super User

Post by Jess »

gman wrote:I never thought the “Teflon” name to be derogatory, more a play on ‘Leon’ implying (sarcastically perhaps) that he’s difficult to get hold of, Teflon coated, slippery, like Tom ‘the eel’ Voyce! Am I being naïve? Is anyone else confused at the outrage? :o
oh, i thought the teflon reference was a reference to the fact that he can never hold onto the ball

Stuart Kirk
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Stuart Kirk »

A shame that the game isn't on the same day as the First team match - especially for those of us that travel to the game from outside Leicester...
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

tigerman wrote:Leon got called teflon by a few supporters a couple of seasons ago as he kept dropping the ball, so they all thought his hands were coated in teflon, ie nothing sticks
That's what I meant. People used to call him that in an unpleasant taunting way because they believed his hands were "non stick" and he couldn't catch and/or hold the ball. I understand he knew about this, and that the taunting and insults at the time made him suggest and seriously consider leaving the club because of the abuse.

I would hope the OP didn't intend insult, but it's still not a nice so-called nickname in my opinion.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

Can't miss that one. Deano! Rory! Cockers! The Baron! With letters! They'll have to make sure they play stuff by the Kings of Leon on the PA.

Anyone know about when tickets will be on sale?
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Why should teflon stick?