Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: RWC 2023 Fixtures and results

Post by Scott1 »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:41 am
Scott1 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:11 am
GB72 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:07 am I suspect that Jones will be going nowhere unless he walks to take another job.

He was, if i recall, given a long term contract and there is no way that the Australian union pay that out in full.

Just listening to the post match interviews yesterday, it all came across as 'I may not be good enough but I am not going to walk away or say anything stupid enough to give you grounds for dismissal'.
If the Oz RFU gave him a contract without a group stage elimination break clause then I don’t know what to say!
Come on Scotty, you always have something to say :smt003 :smt002
:smt002
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Dupont could make the QF with a specially made protective face mask.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:57 am
Scott1 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:11 am

If the Oz RFU gave him a contract without a group stage elimination break clause then I don’t know what to say!
I saw a report that he'd already been in contact with Japan for post world cup. If he does want to leave Australia before the end of his contract he should have to buy himself out of it.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

GETHIN EXILE wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:54 pm
I saw a report that he'd already been in contact with Japan for post world cup. If he does want to leave Australia before the end of his contract he should have to buy himself out of it.
I suspect that it will be the opposite, he will wait for the payout on the contract then sign with Japan. I am a cynic but I would not have been surprised if the Australia job was not already in the bag when the writing was on the wall when he got the sack with England. Just needed to be fired and paid before finalising. Could be totally wrong.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

GB72 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:06 pm
GETHIN EXILE wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:54 pm

I suspect that it will be the opposite, he will wait for the payout on the contract then sign with Japan. I am a cynic but I would not have been surprised if the Australia job was not already in the bag when the writing was on the wall when he got the sack with England. Just needed to be fired and paid before finalising. Could be totally wrong.
I believe you’re right,I’m sure there were whispers of it
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

Can Rugby Australia afford to get rid of him? How much did it cost them to get rid of Rennie so they could appoint Jones?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

If they came sniffing after Mckellar Tigers would be demanding at least £2 million to release him from a 4 year contract. It just isn’t going to happen
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:26 pm If they came sniffing after Mckellar Tigers would be demanding at least £2 million to release him from a 4 year contract. It just isn’t going to happen
“Could” instead of “would” and where did you pluck £2m from? Not saying you’re not right ,it would be a hefty compensation package. But nobody knows any figures,it’s all guesswork and contracts usually have breaks in them. Although they are usually performance related. Or breaks by timeframe. Say for instance he went before completing a year the compensation could be for 2 years and nor four.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

No Scott would. The £2 million is quite simple allowing for the fact that he is going to be on a contract of around £500,000 p.a. So 4 years salary, and that’s not including the nuisance factor and the cost of finding a replacement.
I do agree no one knows the figures but that would be the basic Tigers would require, whether here is a break clause or not he has signed a 4 year deal and we are less than 6 months in.
Like I say he isn’t going anywhere
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Ultimately if a coach is under contract and leaves prior to the end of it or reaching an agreed break point, there may be penalty clauses and potential restrictions on working somewhere else assuming there is no breach in contract by the employer. Presumably world rugby has regulations restricting how players and presumably coaches can work for other sides if currently under contract.

Coaching your national side is the peak of your coaching career that leaves limited future employment options if it doesn’t work out. So probably not one to take too early in your career.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

mol2 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:33 pm Ultimately if a coach is under contract and leaves prior to the end of it or reaching an agreed break point, there may be penalty clauses and potential restrictions on working somewhere else assuming there is no breach in contract by the employer. Presumably world rugby has regulations restricting how players and presumably coaches can work for other sides if currently under contract.

Coaching your national side is the peak of your coaching career that leaves limited future employment options if it doesn’t work out. So probably not one to take too early in your career.
Great excellent last point!
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Dokie wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:06 pmWales by 5-7
Sorry to be so conservative with my prediction but we rarely do things without making it difficult for ourselves.
Clearly name on the cup!!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Dokie wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:53 pm
Sorry to be so conservative with my prediction but we rarely do things without making it difficult for ourselves.
Guaranteed SF at least mate then who knows?!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:58 pm
Think it will be against winner of NZ and Ireland
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:00 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:58 pm
Think it will be against winner of NZ and Ireland
It's slightly depressing how the ¼'s are virtually sorted... 3/5 rounds in on the group stages, all of the top 2 teams have played each other, and with what fixtures are left you'd say only Japan getting through vs Argentina wouldn't be a major shock. Only other ones feasible you'd say are Italy and Scotland. Two weekends of mostly dead rubbers. Not sure how the draws are done but in future maybe better having some more of the top 2 in a group playing at the end of the group...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.