Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Preseason match 2 - Newcastle (H) - Friday 26th August 2022 - 7pm

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:37 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:56 am However do red cards in preseason games get a disciplinary hearing?
The player will go before a disciplinary panel and probably get a couple of weeks ban for the two yellows as opposed to a straight red.
Likely, however the citing commission will look at the video footage and a few have said especially on Twitter that had it not been a friendly it probably was a red.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

My 23 if fit for the first game would be
1. Cronin
2. Clare
3. Cole
4. Wells
5. Snyman
6. Martin
7. Cracknell
8. Liebenberg
9. Wigglesworth
10. Burns
11. Nadolo
12. Gopperth
13. Scott
14. Potter
15. Watson (or potentially Hegarty if is out)

16. Taufeteʻe
17. Leatigaga
18. Hurd
19. Henderson (Adds impact off)
20. Jansen
21. Youngs
22. Cokanasiga (Gopperth covering 10)
23. Hegarty/Murimurivalu
Grannyman

Post by Grannyman »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:18 am My 23 if fit for the first game would be
1. Cronin
2. Clare
3. Cole
4. Wells
5. Snyman
6. Martin
7. Cracknell
8. Liebenberg
9. Wigglesworth
10. Burns
11. Nadolo
12. Gopperth
13. Scott
14. Potter

16. Taufeteʻe
17. Leatigaga
18. Hurd
20. Jansen
21. Youngs
23. Hegarty/Murimurivalu
I wasn’t impressed with Nadolo last night. I’m not sure we’ll miss him that much. Rubbish under a high ball too.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I mean Ashton didn't really stand out too much either last night, dropped a easy try well by his standards.
It's pre-season players make mistakes because really you tend to be playing at 75% level on the whole.

That being said my feeling is v Exeter I think Nadolo at the start of the game could get some good value with the midfield charges especially Slade being injury/not match fit. Granted if Watson isn't fit would lean towards Ashton as we would be missing a kick chase option. Watson being fit would allow potentially him to slide into the wing spot on kick chases and Nadolo to slide into the midfield to hold defenders.

Murimurivalu looked really good so far this pre-season, looking fitter so he would be a good option to bring in as a replacement.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Grannyman wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:22 am
RagingBull wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:18 am My 23 if fit for the first game would be
1. Cronin
2. Clare
3. Cole
4. Wells
5. Snyman
6. Martin
7. Cracknell
8. Liebenberg
9. Wigglesworth
10. Burns
11. Nadolo
12. Gopperth
13. Scott
14. Potter

16. Taufeteʻe
17. Leatigaga
18. Hurd
20. Jansen
21. Youngs
23. Hegarty/Murimurivalu
I wasn’t impressed with Nadolo last night. I’m not sure we’ll miss him that much. Rubbish under a high ball too.
Yes I think his best days are firmly behind him now not sure what he now offers he looks like he still struggles with his fitness. A truly great player at the heights of his power.
Given this I am astonished that he was offered a new contract in Australia.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Regretfully I have to agree about Nadolo he looks way past his best and is a bit of a liability in defence. Good decision to let him go in December but has been a pleasure to see him in a Tiger’s shirt these past two seasons.
A2O
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Agreed - I wouldn’t have Nadolo in the starting XV, possibly not even on the bench. Given we’re away at Exeter I’d go for:

Cronin Clare Cole
Wells Snyman
Martin Liebenberg Cracknell
Wigglesworth Burns
Gopperth Scott
Potter Watson Ashton

Whitecombe Taufete Hurd Henderson Jansen Youngs Cokanasiga Murimurivalu

When are the England boys and Reffell back?
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Only watched online sadly, but lots of good points and a number of folk put their hands up to be included in our starting 23. I thought Gopperth looked useful, obviously he's played a bit previously :smt002 A few worries, and Watson coming off v early was one.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Sandy Park is a wide pitch, I think Nadolo would be exposed defensively on the outside, my wings would be Potter and Ashton. I would definitely have Youngs starting ahead of Wiggy and would go for Whitcombe as the replacement loosehead. Second row we have options any two from Wells, Samantha and Henderson or possibly Martin who i thought had a great game last night and will surely be in the team somewhere.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Hopefully Watson coming off was precautionary. No point playing on and taking any risks, however small, when it's just a preseason friendly.

How did Olly Cracknell get on? Really impressed me in the Jersey game but I didn't see last night's game.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Agree about Nadolo he is now too slow and not making the ground he once did. For me he is just there for squad cover now.

Re Jansen yes he had a few issues but his power both with ball in hand and in the tackle is fantastic to see as was his joy at scoring the final try. I do wonder if he may end up spending some time at 7 as he put in some good counter rucks.
Whereas Martin wasn’t a revelation his footwork before contact was. Snyman was up there too. He looks like a South African lock and really put himself about. That stable of locks is looking good with Chessum jnr having a great game in the line out.

Re Cracknell he wasn’t in the squad
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:23 am ...Given we’re away at Exeter I’d go for:

Cronin Clare Cole
Wells Snyman
Wigglesworth Burns
Gopperth Scott
Potter Watson Ashton
Agree with 1-8, but I'd favour BY over WW. Questions over who is in back 3. Lots of options for the bench dependent on the opposition...
Think we're without England contingent (don't know about Welsh) for first two games is it? All back for Saints game?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:12 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:23 am ...Given we’re away at Exeter I’d go for:

Cronin Clare Cole
Wells Snyman
Wigglesworth Burns
Gopperth Scott
Potter Watson Ashton
Agree with 1-8, but I'd favour BY over WW. Questions over who is in back 3. Lots of options for the bench dependent on the opposition...
Think we're without England contingent (don't know about Welsh) for first three games is it?
First 3 games I believe for the England boys. We can pick Reffell but SB may decide to give him the same rest period.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Rugbygramps - I edited that as according to https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/ ... -world-cup
it is only the first two rounds, so both teams should have these folk available for Saints v Tigers in round 3 (I think??)
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:33 pm Rugbygramps - I edited that as according to https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/ ... -world-cup
it is only the first two rounds, so both teams should have these folk available for Saints v Tigers in round 3 (I think??)
Thank you. So we think available for the 3rd game. I’m sure it’s 10 weeks from the 3rd Aussie test whenever that was.