Genge leaving

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Genge leaving

Post by Postiger2 »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:30 pm Honestly the very least might have been to wait till after the game v them.
This is a big thing for me. A big boost for his next club right before they play his current club? Tigers still pay your wages mate. You can help out Bristol next season, some way to go in this one.
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

"I have close relationships at the Bears and I've got unfinished business here, so it's important for me to be able to come back and represent Bristol and play my role in the community.

"I want to pay tribute to Leicester Tigers and everybody who made my time there so special.”

Genge quotes from the Sky Sports article. Sounds like he’s already there with “unfinished business here”, “my time there”. Still got over half a season left Gengey!
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

LekkerTigers wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:48 pm "I have close relationships at the Bears and I've got unfinished business here, so it's important for me to be able to come back and represent Bristol and play my role in the community.

"I want to pay tribute to Leicester Tigers and everybody who made my time there so special.”

Genge quotes from the Sky Sports article. Sounds like he’s already there with “unfinished business here”, “my time there”. Still got over half a season left Gengey!
There you go. How can the captain of Leicester Tigers be someone who talks about the club in the past tense when that club still pay his wages? I'm actually stunned by this. It just gets worse.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Postiger2 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:52 pm
LekkerTigers wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:48 pm "I have close relationships at the Bears and I've got unfinished business here, so it's important for me to be able to come back and represent Bristol and play my role in the community.

There you go. How can the captain of Leicester Tigers be someone who talks about the club in the past tense when that club still pay his wages? I'm actually stunned by this. It just gets worse.
Quote was probably while he was in Bristol at the time and referring to them, having left them a few years ago.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Do you think it could get as serious as releasing him from his contract early? I can’t see any way out of this for him,and what will his team mates think? It’s not good at all
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:53 pm
Postiger2 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:52 pm

Quote was probably while he was in Bristol at the time and referring to them, having left them a few years ago.
It literally says Leicester Tigers in the sentence :smt010
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

An early release from his contract looks exactly like what he’s after and exactly what he should not get.
As much as I thought he was a great player, celebrated his captaincy appointment and witnessed an emerging captain of note, he should now train with and coach the Academy and not play for us again …let’s see how that does his England World Cup chances and preparation for Bristol next season !
If Tigers pay his wages then whilst he is under contract, the club should dictate what happens next
The tail does not wag the dog
I know this sounds harsh and callous but the message of disloyalty this sends to players and fans alike cannot be underestimated in my opinion …can anyone else recall another example like this in sport ?
I’m as saddened as the majority of us all
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

Honestly it’s crass. You’re club captain and we’re not even half way through the season, sadly I think he’s gone along with the Pratt who runs the social media stuff at Bristol.

I don’t doubt he’s committed to us for the rest of the season but as a leader when you’ve got one foot out the door how can people take you seriously?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Even football teams don’t do that, they wait until the player has joined them to do that type of video (granted they have mid season transfers etc).

And football is at the very peak of professionalism
Ashurstwoodtiger

Post by Ashurstwoodtiger »

Although I agree with the majority of comments made about the video I don't think it would have been Ellis's decision to release the video at this time. Maybe the use of past tense means he was under the impression that it would be released at a later date. Think it is just another case of people trying to wind up SB and continue what happened at the end of last season. I hope that if Ellis is chosen to play Boxing Day that he shows that at present he still represents Tigers to the best of his ability if SB feels he cannot do that don't select him we have players more than capable to take his place.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

If I was SB I would drop him and make him sit out the remainder of the season. Totally disrespectful of Lam and Genge to the club and the game. That is one shirt in my wardrobe going in the garden incinerator. I was disappointed in him going but I did expect a bit more professionalism and respect from him
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Genge has gone in my eyes ! Let him suffer the consequences and let’s focus on the amazing group of players we have got …The likes of Youngs, Cole and all the amazing emerging talent that will follow in their footsteps that will always form the spine of our squad and great club
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Why do the video full stop? As for timing 8 simply do not believe it was released on social media without his prior consent. I worry that Ellis either did not forsee the ramifications of his action or thought it was no big deal. Anyways seeing his replies to angry fans tonight on twitter he is now experiencing the aftermath.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Whilst disappointing,there are 13 more league games to play. If his head is in the right place, play him.....we need some return on his wages.
If he is not fully comitted, bench him or leave him out.
Things will become clearer over the next few days.....watch for team selection at 12pm tomorrow.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

KiwiTig wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:08 pm An early release from his contract looks exactly like what he’s after and exactly what he should not get.
As much as I thought he was a great player, celebrated his captaincy appointment and witnessed an emerging captain of note, he should now train with and coach the Academy and not play for us again …let’s see how that does his England World Cup chances and preparation for Bristol next season !
If Tigers pay his wages then whilst he is under contract, the club should dictate what happens next
The tail does not wag the dog
I know this sounds harsh and callous but the message of disloyalty this sends to players and fans alike cannot be underestimated in my opinion …can anyone else recall another example like this in sport ?
I’m as saddened as the majority of us all
This was from the Tigers statement on his leaving:

Ellis Genge added: “I’ll be forever grateful for what this club has given me.

“I’ve created lifelong friendships and learned a great deal.

“The club has been amazing in understanding my reasons for this decision and I will continue to give everything I have got for the boys and the fans of Leicester Tigers for the rest of this season.

Clearly empty PR guff following the revelations of his Bristol signing video antics - which surely must have been in the pipeline (filmed or planned) at the time of the club statement. I agree with KiwiTig, I think he is probably trying to engineer an early release, and the club should not bow down, under any circumstances. Thanks for the memories but, even allowing for people being free to make their own decisions (which I respect) and move on the way he has been party to this is disgusting and dumps from a great height on those he says he will give his all for.

From this particular lifelong supporter of Leicester Tigers, you have nothing to give that I want to see or receive, your words are meaningless, your intent veiled. Genuinely hurts to say that but all respect has gone, and I had a lot for him.

The only other example in sport I can think of quickly, that may have been as disrespectful, is a football one, Paul Ince of West Ham at the time appearing in a Man Utd shirt whilst (or in advance of) signing for them but still being a Hammers player - that really didn't go down well. Not that I am condoning some of the behaviour (death threats) that Ince received, purely as an example from memory.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.