Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Is it now time to thank Cockers?

Post by tigercaspian »

L Smith wrote:
Scott1 wrote:Haha! Goldsmith mate,classy or not it's the truth and one echoed by many supporters i talk to there and on the train to and from. If you can pick holes in the post please do but forums and blogs are made for folk to present their views and opinions,as long as I'm not booing at the ground it's all good. What's your take on him?
My take for what it's worth is that he's a top bloke who's had a difficult job to do in an environment that's changed significantly during his tenure, and although his like for like resources have reduced, expectations have not.
My thought process on the whole current set up has changed. I've always believed that the bedrock of the club is its philosophy on being a profitable business. I'm starting to accept that this puts us at a disadvantage compared to benefactor-backed clubs. I don't think making massive losses (Sarries) or taking on huge debts (Wasps) is a sensible way forward, however, the PLC model forces certain disciplines that hinder our ability to compete.
The dilemma that we all face is, do we manage our expectations while we wait for the Wray's and Craig's to get bored or do we think that a different business model and philosophy is inevitable?
Ps, welcome to the forum!
Excellent post and agreed, with all its implications.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

What will dismissing him achieve? How do we know the faults are down to him? How do we know the problems will stop if he goes? Who is available? Why would they be better?

It is not as simple to say get rid of Cockers and things get better.

In the meantime, we have a Director of Rugby who loves the club at least as much as any of us, was a club legend as a player and has won three Premiership titles, got us to two more finals, never achieved less than a semi final, and got us to a European Cup final and a semi. If you want to name someone with a better record than that, go for it. But they'll be in short supply and/or expensive.
Lammy

Post by Lammy »

Iain wrote:What will dismissing him achieve? How do we know the faults are down to him? How do we know the problems will stop if he goes? Who is available? Why would they be better?

In the meantime, we have a Director of Rugby who loves the club at least as much as any of us, was a club legend as a player and has won three Premiership titles, got us to two more finals, never achieved less than a semi final, and got us to a European Cup final and a semi. If you want to name someone with a better record than that, go for it. But they'll be in short supply and/or expensive.
Pretty much, this.
wardy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by wardy »

Iain wrote:What will dismissing him achieve? How do we know the faults are down to him? How do we know the problems will stop if he goes? Who is available? Why would they be better?

All those questions should be capable of being answered by the CEO and the Board. They should have their ear to the ground.
Give blood, play rugby!!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

My friend is the head of one of Exeters biggest sponsors and to say they are struggling is utter rubbish! They have been a bit indifferent and are out of Europe but they are never easily beaten and when they win they smash teams,8 BP already proves that. Are you just highlighting other DOR to try and take the heat off Cockers?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Scott1 wrote:My friend is the head of one of Exeters biggest sponsors and to say they are struggling is utter rubbish! They have been a bit indifferent and are out of Europe but they are never easily beaten and when they win they smash teams,8 BP already proves that. Are you just highlighting other DOR to try and take the heat off Cockers?!
And yet they have lost more games and are below us in the league.

I fail to see the relevance of your sponsor friend. You are Noddy and I claim my five pounds.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Below us for now,but wont be after Christmas Eve and take the rise if you want but he had lunch not too long ago with Bateman and I have been introduced to Steeno and Slade when kindly invited to SP. He will be my guest at WR March 3. Do you genuinely think we will do better than Chiefs this season? Be honest and try not to be childish!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Scott1 wrote:Below us for now,but wont be after Christmas Eve and take the rise if you want but he had lunch not too long ago with Bateman and I have been introduced to Steeno and Slade when kindly invited to SP. He will be my guest at WR March 3. Do you genuinely think we will do better than Chiefs this season? Be honest and try not to be childish!
The next few weeks is going to be a tough run for both teams. Think that if Tigers get themselves in a position for the home stretch, the run is easier than in recent years. Having said that, this is a very competitive league and any team (sorry most teams) can beat one another on a good day. There will be many twists and turns in the remaining rounds.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Scott1 wrote:Below us for now,but wont be after Christmas Eve and take the rise if you want but he had lunch not too long ago with Bateman and I have been introduced to Steeno and Slade when kindly invited to SP. He will be my guest at WR March 3. Do you genuinely think we will do better than Chiefs this season? Be honest and try not to be childish!
I think we will end the season above the Chiefs. They have a lot of bonus points but so far we have won two more games than the Chiefs and are just one win behind the top three so why the panic?

The premiership is a very competitive league and gone are the days when one team (Tigers) was so dominant as to win the title 4 years on the trot including two doubles with the European Cup. It will not happen again and cycles of dominance are exactly that; they don't last forever.

I was as disappointed as anyone at the performance against Munster but I am certain my disappointment is nothing when compared to that of the players. We may or may not win on Saturday but either way I am expecting a very different game. :smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

The rot set in a while ago though mate. How many times have we conceded over 30 points in a game now. There's zero idea how to play,its very inbetwixt inbetween,RC is too stubborn to realise we don't have a monster pack anymore. The decision making on the pitch is poor,we go when its not on,we dont when it is,how many interception tries have we coughed up due to forcing games? Or trying grubbers in our own 22? We havnt got an identity anymore and change is needed,we have gone stale now sadly.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Firstly, a question to those who have not been criticising Cockers at every opportunity for the last year or more. How many of you want to see him go now, this very week, as opposed to some time later this season (probably at the end)?

I would suggest that an immediate sacking would serve very little purpose. It would leave a vacancy with very few suitable candidates available (i.e. not currently in contract). This would very likely leave us with someone in a caretaker role which is unlikely to improve things much. This does not mean, however, that the Board just sit on their hands until the end of the season. They can review who would be available at the end of the season, along with anyone available now and decide who to go for. If the target is open to coming, then is the time to decide the exact timing of departures, which would depend to a certain degree on when the replacement is available.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Of course Mike Ford might not last the season at Toulon so we could then recruit him and he could recruit his son!!
Coat please.....
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

If Cockers were to go I would like to suggest a list of people that I would not like to see in the DoR role:

Malinder
Robinson
Lancaster

I'm sure other posters have their own suggestions.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Votc: so many names... Ford sprung immediately to mind and not just for crimes against fashion.
I'd be more positive and say that at some point, I would like to see Tobias Flood in the set up.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Southerntiger

Post by Southerntiger »

DOR Steve Diamond
Head Coach Ali Hepher - players think he is sensational and I love everything he has done with Exeter and saxons