Formerly of this parish

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Formerly of this parish

Post by kpj tiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:33 pm https://twitter.com/NottinghamRugby/sta ... EWx9w&s=19

Looks like Nottingham may be signing one of our leavers... certainly looks like they may be getting an ex Tiger...
Would imagine it'll be one of Richardson, Cusick, Meredith or Koroiyadi
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 10:41 am Jonah Holmes and Dan Lancaster amongst the players being released by Ealing
Holmes has signed on with London Scottish
TheChild
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheChild »

Dan Richardson starting for Nottingham against Caldy tomorrow so I have a sneaking suspicion that’s who Notts have signed. Could of course be coincidence but given Notts need a tighthead as Jake Bridges is leaving then it seems a fairly good bet.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

TheChild wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:48 pm Dan Richardson starting for Nottingham against Caldy tomorrow so I have a sneaking suspicion that’s who Notts have signed. Could of course be coincidence but given Notts need a tighthead as Jake Bridges is leaving then it seems a fairly good bet.
Yeah I think he's the most likely, the other possible one is Meredith, if I recall Nottingham had a few issues at 10 this season.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

TheChild wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:48 pm Dan Richardson starting for Nottingham against Caldy tomorrow so I have a sneaking suspicion that’s who Notts have signed. Could of course be coincidence but given Notts need a tighthead as Jake Bridges is leaving then it seems a fairly good bet.
Yep you called it right, Dan Richardson it is.

https://x.com/NottinghamRugby/status/17 ... XjUYw&s=19
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TheChild
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheChild »

Decent signing. Notts often struggled a bit in the front row.
I reckon Notts have or will sign Matt Arden from Saints at 10 to ease the crisis there. He’s been on loan to us most of this season.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Jonny May is to join ProD2 club Soyaux/Angoulême (who finished in 11th place this season)
Semper in excretia
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Robespierre wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:53 pm Jonny May is to join ProD2 club Soyaux/Angoulême (who finished in 11th place this season)
Fun fact: May, follows another England international, Maurice Colclough, in playing for Angouleme after the lock-forward did so between 1975 and 1987
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Fraser Balmain joins Sarries.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Old Hob wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 1:24 pm
Robespierre wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 4:53 pm Jonny May is to join ProD2 club Soyaux/Angoulême (who finished in 11th place this season)
Fun fact: May, follows another England international, Maurice Colclough, in playing for Angouleme after the lock-forward did so between 1975 and 1987
I certainly remember the formidable Maurice Colclough, who sadly died at the age of 52. Here's the Guardian's obituary, which is well worth reading:

Obituary
Maurice Colclough

Fearless rugby forward pivotal to England's grand slam win in 1980
Ian Malin
Thu 2 Feb 2006 00.01 GMT

Maurice Colclough, who has died aged 52 after a long battle against a brain tumour, was an England rugby union forward for whom the phrase "larger than life" was no mere cliche. He is enshrined in the game's folklore for two incidents, one glorious, the other notorious.

In November 1983 he took to the field against New Zealand at Twickenham. Then, as now, British rugby was suffering from a thumping series defeat for the Lions in New Zealand the previous summer by Andy Dalton's All Blacks. The low standards of back play in the northern hemisphere had been exposed in the 4-0 defeat.

England were an underperforming side, but they picked the Leicester hooker Peter Wheeler to lead them against New Zealand, and Wheeler, discarded by the Lions that year, had a point to prove. He and Colclough were the only surviving members of the English pack that had won a grand slam under Bill Beaumont in 1980, and, in a game that was brutal at times, they defeated the All Blacks up front and battered them to a 15-9 defeat.

In the second half, it was Colclough who scored the decisive try, typically ploughing over the line from a lineout. Afterwards Wheeler tagged the Wasps lock forward "the Marquis de Colclough", a reference to Prince Obolensky, the White Russian whose two tries back in 1936 had given England their only other win over the All Blacks at Twickenham up until then.

Colclough's other claim to fame occurred a year earlier, as England were celebrating a then rare win in Paris. During the post-match banquet, challenges were issued between the teams to a drinking competition. Colclough had earlier emptied the contents of his gift bottle of after-shave into an ice-bucket and replaced it with water. He drank it in front of the England prop Colin Smart, who then copied Colclough by swallowing a bottle of the real thing. Smart ended up in hospital having his stomach pumped, prompting the England scrum-half Steve Smith to observe that "Colin was in a bad way, but his breath smelt lovely."

The incident summed up Colclough's rumbustious lifestyle, for in the dying days of amateur rugby there were many hard-drinking characters in the international game.

He was born in Oxford, and educated at the Duke of York's Royal Military school in Dover and Liverpool University. He won 25 England caps between 1978 and 1986, and toured with the Lions to South Africa in 1980 and New Zealand in 1983. He was huge by the standards of his day - around 6ft 4in and 18st - and he played in the Test side in all four games in South Africa and New Zealand. In South Africa, where he partnered captain Bill Beaumont in the second row, he was more than a match for the formidable Springbok locks Moaner van Heerden and Louis Moolman. The Lions forwards coped well, but that lack of creativity in the backs lost them the series 3-1.

It was the red-headed Colclough's partnership with Beaumont that underpinned England's grand slam win in 1980, their first for 23 years. In the final match of the 1980 campaign, at Murrayfield, Wheeler remembered the power that Colclough injected into the English scrum. "There was one scrum which I regarded as the best I've ever been a part of. It took place near Scotland's line and Billy called for a double shove. I can still recall the feeling as we surged forward, like a supercharged car in overdrive. It was an uncommon experience. Occasionally it happened at the end of a club game, but you don't expect that surge in the early stages of an international."

One of Colclough's regrets was that the England grand slam team broke up shortly afterwards, but it is to his credit that he even made the 1983 Lions tour after suffering a crippling knee injury against the French at Twickenham. He remains a respected figure in France.

Like Nigel Horton, the Midlands policeman who was a rival for the England second-row berth, Colclough ran a bar in Angoulême and played for the local team before his move to Wasps. The games in the roughhouse world of the French championship were good preparation for the international game.

He had many business ventures, including a leisure centre in France and a floating bar in Swansea marina, and he later played for the Swansea club. He spent many of his later years in South Africa, but in middle age battled against the ravages of illness and moved back to Wales. Many of his old England colleagues saw him for the last time at a dinner at Twickenham last year. After-shave was not on the menu.

He is survived by his wife Annie and their five daughters, three of whom recently took part in a sevens tournament, representing Llandovery College.

· Maurice John Colclough, rugby player, born September 2 1953; died January 27 2006.
Semper in excretia
CrumblingTerrace
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Rob Carmichael, who I think is still contracted to Tigers until the summer, in the Scotland squad as a development player.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 10:04 am Rob Carmichael, who I think is still contracted to Tigers until the summer, in the Scotland squad as a development player.
He was released early so he could go and join one of the one two Scottish teams iirc. He was only playing for Nottingham Trent whilst he was with us.