Next England Head Coach (Pre World Cup)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

nicmattyg
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Next England Head Coach (Pre World Cup)

Post by nicmattyg »

Be very interesting to see the wider squad selected by SB (any idea when this is?) for the upcoming 6n.

Problem position for me is still tighthead, I just don’t think sinkler is good enough in the scrum and I can’t see who is nipping at his heels for a start. Cole would be a shoe in/stop gap but there doesn’t seem to be anyone else EQP who is tearing up trees and needs a go.

Other interesting one will be fly half, I’m not sure Ford will be fully fit and firing in time and smith is injured also (although he’d be my bench option at best).

I can’t see borthwick having Faz at 12, he’ll know it’s not been working.

So Farrell and…..? Maybe time to bring Atkinson in and give him some game time although he’s arguably third choice at tigers?

I’d like to see a starting 15, fitness dependant of:

Genge/LCD/Cole
Chessum/Itoje
Pearson/dombrant/Lawes
JVP
Ford
Kelly
Lawrence
Watson
OHC
Steward
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:16 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:15 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:54 am

I’ve asked this question before Fentiger. Because of the status of the SA u20s back then they were classified as a national side, which mean residency rules don’t apply as he has already played for another country. This may not be absolutely correct but the gist of it is.
The only way he could qualify for England is if there were previously undiscovered English grandparents
Haven't the rules changed again, though whereby he can change nationality if he's not played for his previous country for X period of time? Or does that only apply where you've represented another country other than the one of your birth and you want to then represent them?
Rules have changed if you haven't played in 3 years. HOWEVER it is only relevant IF you, parents or grandparents were born there. The resetting of international eligibility is NOT for residency issues
Thank you for the clarification.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Having cogitated over the Xmas period, I can’t see many changes in the current squad, aside from maybe Watson coming in. Using the Tigers blueprint, Borthwick may think he can get a tune out of Vunipola(s), George, Nowell, May etc, those that I thought might be in danger of the chop. I’m thinking Ashton, Wigglesworth and Cole to name but three. If anyone can revitalise them, he can.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I don't think that Lawes is going to be fit enough by first match I think I read he has had a set back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

westwinds31 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:22 pm Having cogitated over the Xmas period, I can’t see many changes in the current squad, aside from maybe Watson coming in. Using the Tigers blueprint, Borthwick may think he can get a tune out of Vunipola(s), George, Nowell, May etc, those that I thought might be in danger of the chop. I’m thinking Ashton, Wigglesworth and Cole to name but three. If anyone can revitalise them, he can.
Of the players listed I think Maco V and May along with Tuilagi are now past their best, and there are better alternatives available
Nowell is a different case, he has never been the quickest of wingers, but has relied on work rate and punching well above his weight. He has many characteristics that we know Borthwick admires so he could well still be around, and may be the answer to the 13 conundrum
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

westwinds31 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:22 pm Having cogitated over the Xmas period, I can’t see many changes in the current squad, aside from maybe Watson coming in. Using the Tigers blueprint, Borthwick may think he can get a tune out of Vunipola(s), George, Nowell, May etc, those that I thought might be in danger of the chop. I’m thinking Ashton, Wigglesworth and Cole to name but three. If anyone can revitalise them, he can.
I suspect there might be a few changes to the back three, there's some players in form that haven't had much of a look in previously.

Martin or Ted Hill as an option at 6 wouldn't be a surprise. Pearson's outstanding form plus his work rate and mobility make him a good candidate. Dan Kelly and Dan Cole would fill much needed areas of need within the squad.

We might also see an interesting call at flyhalf if Ford and Smith don't return to action soon.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:54 pm
I suspect there might be a few changes to the back three, there's some players in form that haven't had much of a look in previously.

Martin or Ted Hill as an option at 6 wouldn't be a surprise. Pearson's outstanding form plus his work rate and mobility make him a good candidate. Dan Kelly and Dan Cole would fill much needed areas of need within the squad.

We might also see an interesting call at flyhalf if Ford and Smith don't return to action soon.
Just my opinion of course but I think Farrell is nailed on at 10 for the Scottish game even if the other 2 are fit.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

I hope you enjoyed a good cogitation. I agree on Watson.

My only query would be why bring back the old guard when you have such prodigious and exciting young talent in the premiership at the moment? Yes, he’s given some of the vets a new lease of life at Tigers but look what he’s done with the youngsters -even more incredible? And now he has the pick of the entire Prem.

Though to be fair an England where everyone plays in position around one number 10 and a proper 12 would be a positive!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:38 pm
I hope you enjoyed a good cogitation. I agree on Watson.

My only query would be why bring back the old guard when you have such prodigious and exciting young talent in the premiership at the moment? Yes, he’s given some of the vets a new lease of life at Tigers but look what he’s done with the youngsters -even more incredible? And now he has the pick of the entire Prem.

Though to be fair an England where everyone plays in position around one number 10 and a proper 12 would be a positive!
I go back to the opportunity that Borthwick has, first 2 games at Twickenham, we could be going to Cardiff with some confidence. Why would you make radical changes for the Scottish game, when a Borthwick and Sinfield led revival could see us 2 from 2. Borthwick is many things but he’s not a risk taker.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:15 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:54 pm

Just my opinion of course but I think Farrell is nailed on at 10 for the Scottish game even if the other 2 are fit.
I can't see Marcus Smith being parachuted back from injury in ahead of Farrell. Unless he develops I can't really see Smith being anything other than the number 22 option in a Borthwick 23.

Ford on the other hand was Steve's go to man for his time at Tigers. There isn't a big training camp with the players before the first game so being able to select a 9 and 10 that you know you can trust could be a big thing. Could even be a 9/10/12 Steve knows and trusts. That would be big for the game plan in attack and defence, Kelly leading the defence from 12. Obviously Borthwick has played with Farrell and coached him with the Lions but it isn't the same relationship particularly if he plans to use a game plan similar to that which he had at Tigers.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Can't see anything other than Farrell at 10 if I'm honest. Ford on the bench if up to speed
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

There’s no point picking an exciting back line with Farrell at 10.
A2O
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ay2oh wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:16 am There’s no point picking an exciting back line with Farrell at 10.
Steve won't do exciting straight away. It will be a set piece team with a pinpoint kick chase and a suffocating defence. There's no chance he's gonna rip the rule book up. It will be more of the same just polished. That would be my guess anyway
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ay2oh wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:16 am There’s no point picking an exciting back line with Farrell at 10.
You’ve obviously not seen Sarries play this season then
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:25 am
You’ve obviously not seen Sarries play this season then
yes I have seen Sarries play but attacking wise Farrell is not in the same league as smith or Ford plus his composure is suspect and is a yellow card waiting to happen. There’s n point having speedy wingers when the ball is just kicked away.
A2O