Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: 2024 Six Nations Chat

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:17 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:44 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:30 am Barbeary banned for 3 weeks down to 2 with tackle school, for the first offence. 2nd offence he got cleared of.

So by not selecting him in the training squad Barbeary is now eligible for selection for the opening 6N game. (Had he been selected yesterday he wouldn't have been)
Shows what I know 🤣. So any back row injury during training and he’ll be shipped in. I suppose they could even bring him in for the 2nd game anyway
They can bring him in for the first game, Borthwick has not chosen his squad for that yet, only the week before training session (which would make Barbeary ineligible to play the first game if he was selected in it)
Certainly doesn’t make Baths trip to Toulouse any easier
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:49 am
westwinds31 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:54 am I think the Dombrandt vs Mercer clash at Twickenham said a lot. A one-sided affair in Dombrandt's favour. Ok it's one game.
Dombrandt was the much better player. I’d like to see him get another chance at 8 with Earl at 7. Think together they could be great. Axis of Dom/Care/Smith will be played at some point no doubt.

Barbeary will be brought in though at some point.
To be fair, even Wiese would struggle in the current Glouc team.

Agree Barbeary is the long term future.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:34 pm
To be fair, even Wiese would struggle in the current Glouc team.
Good point. Comparisons made with Dombrandt in a Quins' side that purrs when going forward, as opposed to a croaking Gloucester team. Mercer must be asking himself serious questions why he chose to go to Gloucester (maybe, of course, there were no other offers?). On his French form, he would've been a shoo-in at 8 for England but the "Glaws factor" kicked in and he's now an also-ran.
As I mentioned earlier, I bet he wished he'd stayed in France.
Semper in excretia
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Line up of commentators announced. Dan Biggar to replace SCW.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/footbal ... 9520&ei=95
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

To be fair about Mercer the Gloucester team has been ravaged with injury problems and with about half of their pack back v Gloucester they looked much more dangerous.
I agree though, you can only really judge how good a player is when he performs very well in a struggling side: great example of this was George Ford in the season we just escaped relegation!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I suspect that Borthwick was playing it cute by not selecting Barbeary in his initial squad so that his ban fell into weeks when Bath were playing, if he was in the England squad he wouldn't have been playing for Bath so no game in his ban week and so the ban would have run into the 6N matches.

I think the retirements have helped Borthwick move on his squad. Retaining the likes of Farrell, Youngs and Lawes might have been tempting but not good in the longer term.
Injuries and the dearth of props have probably forced his hand with Cole and Marler and to an extent Jamie George at hooker. There are a number of talented but very new hookers around but are only just breaking into the Premiership.

That said there would be no case for retaining all of his world cup players even if available - they may well have mightily over performed to get 3rd in the cup but their performances in the 6N can't just be blamed on Eddie Jones (beyond their selection) which Borthwick inherited. I don't see too many, if any, of the over 30s in the 6N squad being around come 2027.

Talk of Watson being called in when fit again seems bizarre - a talented wing with a career blighted by injuries and now at an age where it's hard to justify playing him over several of the talented wings in the league.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

mol2 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:33 am Talk of Watson being called in when fit again seems bizarre - a talented wing with a career blighted by injuries and now at an age where it's hard to justify playing him over several of the talented wings in the league.
Watson is 29. How's that at an age where is hard to justify playing him? Peak age.

Now form and fitness could be great reasons not to play him as the latter means he hasn't had chance to regain the former.

Given the lack of experienced international back three options available to England you can see why he might want him around. If Daly doesn't start (he's not playing well enough to justify it) then the next most experienced back three player is I believe 23 year old Freddie Steward.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Steward will be 15 so wing options come from Beard, more of a centre imo, Daly, Feyi-Waboso, Freeman, Roebuck.
Even against Italy I wouldn’t expect 2 uncapped wings , possibly Freeman and Feyi-Waboso could be an interesting and in form combination
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Ian Cant wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:45 pm To be fair about Mercer the Gloucester team has been ravaged with injury problems and with about half of their pack back v Gloucester they looked much more dangerous.
I agree though, you can only really judge how good a player is when he performs very well in a struggling side: great example of this was George Ford in the season we just escaped relegation!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/68023982
This doesn't help Mercer either. A conversation between him and Borthwick has taken place where Borthwick has outlined why he's not in the squad with work-ons no doubt, but this comes across as a bit moany and bitter. Keep quiet, do your talking on the field and start playing better than you have been.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Agreed, it would be different if he was head and shoulders the best English 8 in the league. But he’s been nowhere near that or injured. Trying to be objective the two best English 8s have been Barbeary and Dombrandt this season. If he wants to be selected then play consistently better than them two.
MrG2

Post by MrG2 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:53 pm Agreed, it would be different if he was head and shoulders the best English 8 in the league. But he’s been nowhere near that or injured. Trying to be objective the two best English 8s have been Barbeary and Dombrandt this season. If he wants to be selected then play consistently better than them two.
I agree. Burnt bridges now I feel, I have a feeling he qualifies for Scotland wonder if Gregor will come hunting
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

MrG2 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:12 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:53 pm Agreed, it would be different if he was head and shoulders the best English 8 in the league. But he’s been nowhere near that or injured. Trying to be objective the two best English 8s have been Barbeary and Dombrandt this season. If he wants to be selected then play consistently better than them two.
I agree. Burnt bridges now I feel, I have a feeling he qualifies for Scotland wonder if Gregor will come hunting
According to Wiki: "Mercer became a Scottish-qualified player through residency and played for the Scotland U16 team."
I'm sure Gregor Townsend would be happy to have him in the Scottish squad!
Semper in excretia
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Fair play to him for being honest IMO. Won't help him get into the England squad but he's been asked questions and he's answered them.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

ads wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:16 pm Fair play to him for being honest IMO. Won't help him get into the England squad but he's been asked questions and he's answered them.
What a novel concept to tell the truth when questioned...
For me he wouldn't be the worst replacement for Wiese.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:37 pm
ads wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:16 pm Fair play to him for being honest IMO. Won't help him get into the England squad but he's been asked questions and he's answered them.
What a novel concept to tell the truth when questioned...
For me he wouldn't be the worst replacement for Wiese.
I'd piggyback him here myself!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer