Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Preseason match 2 - Newcastle (H) - Friday 26th August 2022 - 7pm

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:39 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:37 pm Yeah great break by Cokansiga - looked more lively than Scott. Stand outs have been Potter and Martin so far.
Different positions though.
Cokanasiga didn't look as good at 13 in defence
Unlucky timing. Scott gives away the advantage for offside and then turns his back on the Falcons 9 who scampers past him to score. Don't think he'll enjoy that one in the analysis session.

Murimurivalu playing really well, even if he is doing a stint in the backrow. Cokanasiga offering a good running threat as well. Interesting that Martin is packing down at lock with Lewis Chessum at 6. Presumably to give Martin love practice, he's been very good tonight.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

MCC1964 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:47 pm Can someone clarify what the red was for? I think it may have been for the no arms tackle, but I had sound off as I was watching whilst we had tea!
2nd yellow
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Potter lively. Snyman very visible, as was Chessum when he came on. Couple of flashy touches from Cokanasiga, and one from Walsh (more than Lancaster ever showed!). Gopperth still has value to offer. Cronin is a canny buy with Genge gone.

Can see why they gave Jansen the 80. Has potential, but spilled a couple of balls, and caught offside within 10.

Good shift. Still knocking off rust, but can see the shape and structures there. Hope Watson was precautionary...
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Lewis Chessum has filled out!! Looked like a beanpole last year, built like a fridge this!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Some really good performances there.

Few key tactical ones were interesting towards the end.

1. Kini coming on at Flanker (replaced Liebenburg)

2. Martin not L.Chessum packed down at 2nd row after Chessum replaced Wells.

3. Interesting to see Gopperth, Martin & Jansen given 80, though Gopperth may have been due to the injuries. (Possibly Scott did 80 too, wasn't 100% on who was playing in the centres with Cokanasiga at the end)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
KevinR

Post by KevinR »

Yes, it was still Scott in the centre. Walsh did his best to emulate Damian McKenzie with one break! When Kini came on, we were basically playing with 7 forwards and an extra back in open play - it might catch on!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

A bit rough around the edges but a decent run out. Standouts Martin, Clare, Cronin and Snyman looks to have stepped up this season. Set piece excellent on the whole and the kick chase and defence solid. Radwan is rapid, but we knew that. Stephenson also very good for them.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

We looked stronger and fitter
A lottery of a match for obvious reasons
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Question.

I know in terms of player bans that preseason games can count towards a ban.

However do red cards in preseason games get a disciplinary hearing?

Falcons have one more preseason game, then play Quins in Round 1, then us in Round 2. There is a decent possibility that a ban may impact Falcons game against us.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

westwinds31 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:02 am A bit rough around the edges but a decent run out. Standouts Martin, Clare, Cronin and Snyman looks to have stepped up this season. Set piece excellent on the whole and the kick chase and defence solid. Radwan is rapid, but we knew that. Stephenson also very good for them.
A real standout I thought. He was solid but not very noticeable last season, last night he took most the lineouts and seemed to heavily involved in attack and defence. I hope he carries that on for the season.

Cronin looks a very smart bit of business. He's not Ellis but he fits in well with how we play. Good at the scrum and he looks to have trimmed down quite a bit and got round the park well with Coley (who looks even trimmer than last season, pre season must have been brutal).

We were rusty in attack and looked a bit leggy, presumably because we're still working the players hard in training. Hopefully a week off before the first game allows us to taper off the hard training and send them all fresh into the Chiefs game. Playing pre season matches when tired isn't a bad idea either, forces a focus on making decisions when fatigued which is a lot harder.

Anyone else think that Kini carrying hard through the middle was very effective? Want to see more of that this season, the change of angle just before contact plus pace and size got us go forward every time.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:56 am Question.

I know in terms of player bans that preseason games can count towards a ban.

However do red cards in preseason games get a disciplinary hearing?

Falcons have one more preseason game, then play Quins in Round 1, then us in Round 2. There is a decent possibility that a ban may impact Falcons game against us.
I suspect the main effect of the ban will be that he's sent to the Championship for a couple of months to sort his discipline and get up to speed with pro rugby as he's signed from the British Army.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:56 am However do red cards in preseason games get a disciplinary hearing?
The player will go before a disciplinary panel and probably get a couple of weeks ban for the two yellows as opposed to a straight red.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:01 am
westwinds31 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:02 am A bit rough around the edges but a decent run out. Standouts Martin, Clare, Cronin and Snyman looks to have stepped up this season. Set piece excellent on the whole and the kick chase and defence solid. Radwan is rapid, but we knew that. Stephenson also very good for them.
A real standout I thought. He was solid but not very noticeable last season, last night he took most the lineouts and seemed to heavily involved in attack and defence. I hope he carries that on for the season.

Cronin looks a very smart bit of business. He's not Ellis but he fits in well with how we play. Good at the scrum and he looks to have trimmed down quite a bit and got round the park well with Coley (who looks even trimmer than last season, pre season must have been brutal).

We were rusty in attack and looked a bit leggy, presumably because we're still working the players hard in training. Hopefully a week off before the first game allows us to taper off the hard training and send them all fresh into the Chiefs game. Playing pre season matches when tired isn't a bad idea either, forces a focus on making decisions when fatigued which is a lot harder.

Anyone else think that Kini carrying hard through the middle was very effective? Want to see more of that this season, the change of angle just before contact plus pace and size got us go forward every time.
I think we’ll see a bit more of him (Snyman) this season, very good in the carry. Massive unit. Jansen had a bit of a stinker, dropped a couple but good to get it out of the way in a warm up game. A bit too pumped I think.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

westwinds31 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:14 am
I think we’ll see a bit more of him (Snyman) this season, very good in the carry. Massive unit. Jansen had a bit of a stinker, dropped a couple but good to get it out of the way in a warm up game. A bit too pumped I think.
I thought Jansen really grew into the game, few early drops, the silly not out the 10 pen on the kick. However 2nd half he really got through a load of big carries.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

For me the most impressive aspect of the game was the massive improvement of ruck speed ball and quality of ball presentation compared to last season. Shame we did not make the most of it but its early doors and its looking very promising.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity