wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: England Squad for down under

Post by wigworth »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:22 am
wigworth wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:19 am
Scott1 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:52 am

The thing is mate Smith/Farrell only really works with Manu at 13. Smith/Farrell/Slade would be as bad as Ford/Farrell/Slade and I don’t think much of that 10/12 pairing with Marchant or Daly outside them either! We have to seriously think that Manu isn’t playing in next years WC and plan for that. That to me means binning one of Smith or Farrell and we must start from now in this Oz tour
I don't see there is a away he drops either of them, if Eddie had to wrap Manu in cotton wool and not play him until the QF or SF I bet that is a risk he would take. As for centres I agree neither Marchant or Daly is particularly good as the sole centre if it is MS and OF at 10/12 but I don't think he will play them together.
That's probably what he will do,re the cotton wool comment. Big Joe or Lawrence at 13 perhaps or someone of that type? Just gives it that same feel for now
Yeah Big Joe is sorely needed for size and power, with the small back line England have been playing more recently it just doesn't seem up to deliver much of anything but kick chase. I don't really know about Lawrence, I can see him missing out given he is also out a fair bit of the time and has not proven himself to Eddie.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

wigworth wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:40 am
Scott1 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:22 am
wigworth wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:19 am

I don't see there is a away he drops either of them, if Eddie had to wrap Manu in cotton wool and not play him until the QF or SF I bet that is a risk he would take. As for centres I agree neither Marchant or Daly is particularly good as the sole centre if it is MS and OF at 10/12 but I don't think he will play them together.
That's probably what he will do,re the cotton wool comment. Big Joe or Lawrence at 13 perhaps or someone of that type? Just gives it that same feel for now
Yeah Big Joe is sorely needed for size and power, with the small back line England have been playing more recently it just doesn't seem up to deliver much of anything but kick chase. I don't really know about Lawrence, I can see him missing out given he is also out a fair bit of the time and has not proven himself to Eddie.
I’d really love to see Watson,Steward,Big Joe as our back 3 mate at some stage.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

....and in the least surprising news you'll hear today, Manu is of course, injured and has had to pull out of the tour.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Postiger2 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:28 pm ....and in the least surprising news you'll hear today, Manu is of course, injured and has had to pull out of the tour.
That has to be it now, surely even Jones can see what a liability picking him has become, time for England to look at the other centre options and if necessary adjust the game plan accordingly
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

On a side note,i love how we go straight from European and domestic rugby into the summer tours! Can't beat international rugby in the SH!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:01 pm
Postiger2 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:28 pm ....and in the least surprising news you'll hear today, Manu is of course, injured and has had to pull out of the tour.
That has to be it now, surely even Jones can see what a liability picking him has become, time for England to look at the other centre options and if necessary adjust the game plan accordingly
Totally agree. A real shame for England and especially Manu himself but he's 31 now and ridiculously injury-prone, time to move on IMHO
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Slade and Tuilagi out, Kelly back in training. Stage is set...

I'd love to see Smith Kelly Marchant
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:51 pm Slade and Tuilagi out, Kelly back in training. Stage is set...

Most likely be Smith,Farrell,Daly with Kelly getting 10ish minutes when Farrell is moved back to 10!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:51 pm Kelly back in training.
Where did you learn this from?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:51 pm Slade and Tuilagi out, Kelly back in training. Stage is set...

+1

Who would be your 9? With that midfield you might be tempted to go with Youngs’ experience. But that depends on the purpose of the tour.

I’d like to see Mitchell get some game time as I think he has a more rounded game than Randall.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

In other news Pope confirmed to be Catholic, Bear admits to wood based activities....
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sapajo wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:54 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:51 pm Kelly back in training.
Where did you learn this from?
Club training video, it's a contact session too, from the comments, someone who chatted to him said he's not quite ready for Wasps, but should be ready for the semifinal

https://twitter.com/LeicesterTigers/sta ... svnhg&s=19
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:23 pm
Club training video, it's a contact session too, from the comments, someone who chatted to him said he's not quite ready for Wasps, but should be ready for the semifinal

https://twitter.com/LeicesterTigers/sta ... svnhg&s=19
Great to hear this. Ojomoh hasn’t played for Bath for a while, so Kelly should be in with a shout for the tour.

(Although if you were purely focused on the World Cup then it might make more sense to stick with Atkinson.)
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

England training squad has been named (without Saints, Quins, Sarries, and Tigers players). Cowan-Dickie and Watson will also train with the squad.

Forwards: Biyi Alo (Wasps, uncapped), Alfie Barbeary (Wasps, uncapped), Jamie Blamire (Newcastle Falcons), Callum Chick (Newcastle Falcons), Freddie Clarke (Gloucester, uncapped), Tom Curry (Sale Sharks), Trevor Davison (Newcastle Falcons), Charlie Ewels (Bath), Will Goodrick-Clarke (London Irish, uncapped), Jonny Hill (Exeter Chiefs), Ted Hill (Worcester Warriors), Sam Jeffries (Bristol Bears, uncapped), George McGuigan (Newcastle Falcons, uncapped), Tom Pearson (London Irish, uncapped), Bevan Rodd (Sale Sharks), Patrick Schickerling (Exeter Chiefs, uncapped), Jack Singleton (Gloucester), Will Stuart (Bath), Sam Underhill (Bath), Jack Willis (Wasps).

Backs: Henry Arundell (London Irish, uncapped), Charlie Atkinson (Wasps, uncapped), Mark Atkinson (Gloucester), Orlando Bailey (Bath, uncapped), Joe Cokanasiga (Bath), Ollie Hassell-Collins (London Irish, uncapped), Will Joseph (London Irish, uncapped), Jonny May (Gloucester), Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs), Paolo Odogwu (Wasps, uncapped), Max Ojomoh (Bath, uncapped), Tom Parton (London Irish, uncapped), Adam Radwan (Newcastle Falcons), Harry Randall (Bristol Bears), Dan Robson (Wasps).

We’re looking very strong at 7 with Curry, Underhill, and Willis included. It’s also good to see Ted Hill back in the mix. Nice to see some inside centres (Atkinson, Ojomoh) in there and the competition in the back three is looking good (May, Nowell, Watson plus Arundell, Cokanasiga, and Radwan).
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Sinckler out of tour,massive opportunity for Heyes!