England vs USA - 4th July 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: England vs USA - 4th July 2021

Post by mol2 »

International rugby requires the half backs to cope with ball that isn’t front foot, and also contribute when you don’t have the ball. That’s where Simmonds edges Smith. But in attack it is the other way round.

Many ran down Wilkinson’s channel and got flattened, but that isn’t going to happen with Smith. Simmonds may get better but Smith won’t get bigger.

As for Randall he looks like the Artful Dodger but he simply isn’t big enough to stop a modern international player.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

mol2 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:25 pm International rugby requires the half backs to cope with ball that isn’t front foot, and also contribute when you don’t have the ball. That’s where Simmonds edges Smith. But in attack it is the other way round.

Many ran down Wilkinson’s channel and got flattened, but that isn’t going to happen with Smith. Simmonds may get better but Smith won’t get bigger.

As for Randall he looks like the Artful Dodger but he simply isn’t big enough to stop a modern international player.
When do Chiefs not have front foot ball? Its the opposite for me,the better FH shines in a beaten pack and Smith has done that far more than Simmonds has
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Pearce9

Post by Pearce9 »

I don’t think tackling is that much of an issue for Randall. Did you not see him sit down the prop off the line out. Less of an issues for 9 as not defending in the same way a 10 has too. If they’re good enough teams will make adjustments so long as they’re not a speed bump.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Smith isn't Wilkinson in defence but he seems really solid in the tackle from what I've seen of him.

Randall is pretty much exactly the same size as Faf and he's the second best 9 in rugby for my money after Dupont.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Quins deservedly won the Premiership as they had a much improved pack, consistent selection policy which meant combinations were extremely confident to try things and even when way behind believed they could win. Tigers were one of the few sides to just hold on!
Smith reminds me of a young George Ford at Tigers: great talent. Ford, though a very good player won’t now be a “ great” international most likely due to Eddie Jones’ stifling his creativity.
South Africa didn’t just “ beat England up” in the World Cup Final they also had a fly half and scrum half who were, when needed to, play what was in front of them.
There’s no use Jones building a beast of a pack if the backs cannot then produce tries. This will also be Tigers’ aim next season: more progress in the pack but more creativity and speed needed from the backs.
Smith, at Quins, also had the excellent Danny Care play alongside him for the majority of their games. Quins also knew who their first fifteen were: does Eddie Jones? Hopefully, after last season and another pre-season Tigers will too!
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

mol2 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:25 pm International rugby requires the half backs to cope with ball that isn’t front foot, and also contribute when you don’t have the ball. That’s where Simmonds edges Smith. But in attack it is the other way round.

Aaron Smith and TJ Perenara are obviously both massive. Add Danny Care to that list too!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Still tend to believe that the more a Fly Half plays for England the more the instinct is removed from his natural game - either that or he is himself removed from the England team.
There are undoubted comparisons to be made with Marcus Smith and George Ford at the same age and both either had or have the opportunity for genuine greatness in their own hands.The problem comes with the (English) international coaching of pragmatic efficiency and the need to win by making the fewest mistakes and playing the percentages.For me , with out being critical of a very good player in his own right, England's and indeed George Ford's main obstacle and/or problem in recent times has simply been the style of play and the necessity to accommodate Owen Farrell above all else.When the percentage plays fail , the lack of real creativity becomes more and more apparent.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

https://youtu.be/wZzXVWYeqTI

Around the 1.50 mark in the video, I have never seen Ford pull of a tackle like that as it’s not his technique. Ford may have a superior tackle completion rate to Smith, but the latter will probably concede less ground.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

ABClub wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:44 pm Smith isn't Wilkinson in defence but he seems really solid in the tackle from what I've seen of him.

Randall is pretty much exactly the same size as Faf and he's the second best 9 in rugby for my money after Dupont.
Exactly. And most teams have their 9 as a sweeper-type defender anyway so they can be at a turnover ruck quickly. There isn't usually a "9-channel" to run down.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:13 am
ABClub wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:44 pm Smith isn't Wilkinson in defence but he seems really solid in the tackle from what I've seen of him.

Exactly. And most teams have their 9 as a sweeper-type defender anyway so they can be at a turnover ruck quickly. There isn't usually a "9-channel" to run down.
If England use Randall how they use Youngs in defence he'll be stood deeper almost as a second fullback so the wingers can defend higher up in the line and blitz if they need to. Youngs and or Ford often drop deep so we have more width in defence with the forwards filling the centre of the pitch. Means Randall is likely to be making side on tackles where his pace should mean he'll be in a good position to go low and take the legs.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Unless it’s Faf and he’s trying to tackle the biggest guy on the pitch or unless it’s David Mele and he’s got his head in somewhere trying to get a turnover 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

In today's Telegraph Sport, Marcus Smith reports that Eddie allows him to play like he does at Quins! So Eddie does not instil kicking into his FHs.??? :smt017 Not what I perceive of Jones, early days.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

LE18 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:48 pm In today's Telegraph Sport, Marcus Smith reports that Eddie allows him to play like he does at Quins! So Eddie does not instil kicking into his FHs.??? :smt017 Not what I perceive of Jones, early days.
I would say that's just for this series tbf,unless it says otherwise
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:49 pm
LE18 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:48 pm In today's Telegraph Sport, Marcus Smith reports that Eddie allows him to play like he does at Quins! So Eddie does not instil kicking into his FHs.??? :smt017 Not what I perceive of Jones, early days.
Eddie did release his attack coach at the end of the 6N.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:48 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:49 pm
Eddie did release his attack coach at the end of the 6N.
Waste of time having one,be better off having Neil Jenkins sneaking up behind players and following them around while they are constantly kicking 😂
Always creeps me out when he's hanging around behind LHP while he's about to kick