A2O
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers to host England A v Scotland A

Post by loretta »

kpj tiger wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:56 am
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:52 am
kpj tiger wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:38 am A bit of a shambles leaving it this late, I've seen people complaining already about train tickets now being non-refundable etc
Depends when the Scottish positive tests came to light. Are they tested every morning?
Even if the players aren't tested that frequently normally after the initial positive tests they should be, a lot of people have spent a lot of money on transport and hotels to go to this game and I feel like cancelling at the last minute is very unprofessional, its the very unfortunate side effect of having fans back in stadiums
"The entire squad and management team were PCR tested early on Thursday and, with no positive results returned from the playing group, the team travelled to Leicester on Friday afternoon. However, following a further round of PCR testing on Saturday morning, Scottish Rugby can confirm that three positive tests for COVID-19 have been returned."

Covid times. Booking anything these days is a gamble and, as always, don't gamble if you can't afford to lose. Lots of people have lost bookings on holidays, weddings etc lately. Me included, just got to take it on the chin.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

loretta wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:12 am
kpj tiger wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:56 am
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:52 am

Depends when the Scottish positive tests came to light. Are they tested every morning?
Even if the players aren't tested that frequently normally after the initial positive tests they should be, a lot of people have spent a lot of money on transport and hotels to go to this game and I feel like cancelling at the last minute is very unprofessional, its the very unfortunate side effect of having fans back in stadiums
"The entire squad and management team were PCR tested early on Thursday and, with no positive results returned from the playing group, the team travelled to Leicester on Friday afternoon. However, following a further round of PCR testing on Saturday morning, Scottish Rugby can confirm that three positive tests for COVID-19 have been returned."

Covid times. Booking anything these days is a gamble and, as always, don't gamble if you can't afford to lose. Lots of people have lost bookings on holidays, weddings etc lately. Me included, just got to take it on the chin.
What is it with Scottish sportsmen and not being able to stay in their bubble
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

If rule-breaking is at hand, Tigers or the RFU should demand compensation from the SRFU for this fiasco.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:01 am Why haven’t the Scots been vaccinated ?
Why would they be being elite sportsman?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Being vaccinated doesn’t affect neither Scottish nor PHE advice when it comes to testing positive/being a close contact, for the right or wrong reasons.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

We are in the middle of a third wave with increased infection of the Delta variant including a rise in admissions BUT massively decreased deaths. That's why vaccinate. The chances of infection are currently rising, so not surprised by the Scots results.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Scotland has seen significant rises in cases over past week or so, not at all surprised the players have tested positive, it's a free for all up here.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53511877
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Hopefully the lads go again next week 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

A lot of the players are young and so may well have only just become eligible for the vaccination. If they had they are unlikely to have been fully vaccinated.
(As I recall elite sportsmen/women were not on the priority list in Scotland nor England and Wales.) I would expect that most sides will be proactive in making sure that their players take up the option of being vaccinated to minimise the risk of games being lost.

The vaccine stops around 70% of infections when two doses have had time to work. By inference 30% are at risk of catching it even if fully vaccinated: although the data suggests fully vaccinated individuals are highly unlikely to suffer severe illness. So positive tests are likely for the foreseeable future.

As for sticking to their bubble - I would assume the players still have homes and family lives, shopping and other activities that bring them into contact with people in the world outside of their rugby clubs. They may well be tested frequently and temporarily enter international bubbles, but those bubbles are nothing like those that were in operation for the international cricket last summer. Frankly it would be impossible to expect players to have no contact outside of rugby for the whole season. Many will have children of school age for example. If there is a positive test then the same rules apply as to the rest of the country, those who are deemed to be sufficiently close contacts will be obliged to self isolate, so unless they took two separate squads a positive test of one of the players will effectively mean the whole team gets to isolate.

Given the close contact nature of rugby and the testing that goes with it, it is likely that games will get called off from time to time. A shame for the players and fans who will miss the game.